I'm new & looking to build a Micro - Small stakes set (1 Viewer)

JuniperCat

Pair
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new here.

I'm from the UK, where, as far as I can tell, decent chips are hard to come by. I'm happy to purchase from further afield.

In 2014 I wanted to move away from crappy slugged chips sunk a few hundred pounds into a complete set of Lucky Dragon ceramics, which I really like, but since my regular(ish) home game is at my brother's place, they are stored there for simplicity's sake, and have been since I bought them.

Unfortunately this has left me with my home set being crappy slugged Full Tilt branded chips I bought from the FTP rewards store back in the day. They have served me well, but I want something nice to keep at my own place, and I've been looking around for the last week or so for something that will work. Denominations are all planned, but this has left me with a few requirements:

5c chips are essential, for the stakes we play (5c/5c or 5c/10c)
I have seen a selection of 25c chips in pink, and these are now also considered essential (what can I say, I like pink).
I don't mind everything being in cents and dollars rather than pounds and pennies, but I don't want to use tourney style chips and count the denominations as pennies like I did with the Lucky Dragons.

This essentially leaves me looking at Majestics; they have a pink 25, and there's a 5c chip as standard.

Alas, the Apache site is currently not operating for the next few days, which leaves me uncertain what's currently in stock (not to mention unable to suddenly impulse buy!)

So in the meantime I figured, after having spent the last week lurking here, I'd say "hi!" and ask for some alternative suggestions, should there be stock level issues with my current first choice.

I'm sure I wanted so say something else, but it eludes me now. Anyway, I'll stop rambling.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome! Good luck in your search! Check out the classified and consider re-labeling as an option as well.

Thanks! Relabelling isn't completely off the table, but it's definitely something I want to avoid at present. As I say, I'm new, so I don't 100% have the bug yet. I'm just... slightly infected ;)

Have you considered having custom ceramics made for you?
Doesn't cost that much more than your Lucky Dragons (Sunfly stock design) and it allows you to have exact control over denomination and style.

Should recruit a designer though unless you already have some experience with print design in general, and chip design specifically. I've heard however that Sunfly will also do limited adjustments of their stock designs like swapping denominations for relatively little money, although I am unsure about the quality of these edits.

I don't know of any UK based Sun-Fly contract shops, but there's one in Germany that does ship internationally. Rates to the UK should not be too bad.

I love micro stakes sets! There is not much love for tourney sets with a T5 around here, so getting a tourney set with some T5 T25 and T100 and relabeling is not a bad way to go.

Welcome.

You are the first person I've seen on here that lives in my old neck of the woods. I grew up in Medway (unfortunately) and spent many weekends karting in Tilbury, so not far from you.

Have you considered the new 43mm offerings from Apache. The colours look a big upgrade from the majestics.

I think there was a UK denomination set floating around the classifieds recently too.

Welcome aboard! My group also plays microstakes, and I'm a fan of pink quarters.

1565185322098.png

Have you considered having custom ceramics made for you?
Doesn't cost that much more than your Lucky Dragons (Sunfly stock design) and it allows you to have exact control over denomination and style.

Should recruit a designer though unless you already have some experience with print design in general, and chip design specifically. I've heard however that Sunfly will also do limited adjustments of their stock designs like swapping denominations for relatively little money, although I am unsure about the quality of these edits.

I don't know of any UK based Sun-Fly contract shops, but there's one in Germany that does ship internationally. Rates to the UK should not be too bad.

I'd be happy to consider this as an option, do you happen to know the name/site of the German Sunfly store? Thanks!

Welcome aboard! My group also plays microstakes, and I'm a fan of pink quarters.

Oh gosh, those chips :wow:
With the excepton of the $5, those are pretty much my ideal colours, the 5c, 25c and $1 colours all work so well together. Pretty jelly over here.

Welcome friend!! Any idea what size set (chip count/ break down) you are looking for? I also wanted to build a micro set starting with 5¢, options are very limited on those tiny denominations as I'm sure you have figured out... What I have built but don't come up very often are fan of cards which were made both by Paulson and BCC
KIMG0788.JPG
Quite a bit of money invested and certain denoms are very difficult to locate, but there are options out there... I added 300 more to this last night but no pictures yet, left stack are BCC right are Paulsons. I also looked at the China Clay options but quantities were limited, found 300 of these on eBay and have been building ever since... Good luck with the search sir! Fellow chipper Ben

Welcome friend!! Any idea what size set (chip count/ break down) you are looking for?

I'm looking at:
5c * 200
25c * 200
$1 * 150
$5 * 50

So I'm just crossing my fingers that Apache will have these denoms in stock when they're back open for business. If not... back to the drawing board, I guess. The need for 5c chips and my insistence on quarters being a lovely pink colour is likely to leave me stranded...

Thanks! Relabelling isn't completely off the table, but it's definitely something I want to avoid at present. As I say, I'm new, so I don't 100% have the bug yet. I'm just... slightly infected ;)
Give it a week and the juices will spread to full blown chipaholic syndrome. Currently no cure has been found.

I know Apache is offline for vacation, but there are both .05 and .25 in the Pharaoh’s and Majestics and both sets are gorgeous. I was looking right before he took off for vacation and I think he was just out of stock in one or two of the higher tournament denominations in both of the sets.

I know Apache is offline for vacation, but there are both .05 and .25 in the Pharaoh’s and Majestics and both sets are gorgeous. I was looking right before he took off for vacation and I think he was just out of stock in one or two of the higher tournament denominations in both of the sets.

I do like the Pharoahs but... having a workhorse chip be pink is kinda a dealbreaker for me.
I'm relieved to hear that you think the lower denom Majestics were in stock though, you've given me hope!

Oh gosh, those chips :wow:
With the excepton of the $5, those are pretty much my ideal colours, the 5c, 25c and $1 colours all work so well together. Pretty jelly over here.
Thanks!

Yeah, I would have preferred red $5’s, but the reds all sold out pretty quickly. But the brown $5 still pays tribute to Cali colors, a lá Garden City.

Welcom
Hi!

I'm new here.

I'm from the UK, where, as far as I can tell, decent chips are hard to come by. I'm happy to purchase from further afield.

In 2014 I wanted to move away from crappy slugged chips sunk a few hundred pounds into a complete set of Lucky Dragon ceramics, which I really like, but since my regular(ish) home game is at my brother's place, they are stored there for simplicity's sake, and have been since I bought them.

Unfortunately this has left me with my home set being crappy slugged Full Tilt branded chips I bought from the FTP rewards store back in the day. They have served me well, but I want something nice to keep at my own place, and I've been looking around for the last week or so for something that will work. Denominations are all planned, but this has left me with a few requirements:

5c chips are essential, for the stakes we play (5c/5c or 5c/10c)
I have seen a selection of 25c chips in pink, and these are now also considered essential (what can I say, I like pink).
I don't mind everything being in cents and dollars rather than pounds and pennies, but I don't want to use tourney style chips and count the denominations as pennies like I did with the Lucky Dragons.

This essentially leaves me looking at Majestics; they have a pink 25, and there's a 5c chip as standard.

Alas, the Apache site is currently not operating for the next few days, which leaves me uncertain what's currently in stock (not to mention unable to suddenly impulse buy!)

So in the meantime I figured, after having spent the last week lurking here, I'd say "hi!" and ask for some alternative suggestions, should there be stock level issues with my current first choice.

I'm sure I wanted so say something else, but it eludes me now. Anyway, I'll stop rambling.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome! @ABC Gifts and Awards offers semi custom ceramics. You can pick the ceramic chip art you like and put custom denoms on them for only a slight upcharge. It's a great alternative to a full on custom chip or the labor of love known as labeling lol. You can go to Brpropoker.com and look at their semi custom line to see what varieties them offer.

I do like the Pharoahs but... having a workhorse chip be pink is kinda a dealbreaker for me.
I'm relieved to hear that you think the lower denom Majestics were in stock though, you've given me hope!
But the Majestics have a pink quarter, the Pharaohs don’t have a pink chip. Did you get those reversed?

Welcome to you and good luck in finding your dream set. Where abouts in the UK are you from? Im from London myself...

I'd be happy to consider this as an option, do you happen to know the name/site of the German Sunfly store? Thanks!

It's Gamblerstore.de. Had them make some custom Sunfly ceramics for me a while ago.
Small shop - there's no online configurator or anything like that. All the details are simply through contacting the store owner via email.
Price quoted in the shop is (or at least was) only for small quantities. Back when I had mine made, I received a substantial volume discount for 1k+ chips.

But the Majestics have a pink quarter, the Pharaohs don’t have a pink chip. Did you get those reversed?
Nono, I'm just not being clear; it's a dealbreaker in that I gotta have 'em!

Welcome to you and good luck in finding your dream set. Where abouts in the UK are you from? Im from London myself...
I'm from Essex, the Southend-on-Sea area.

It's Gamblerstore.de. Had them make some custom Sunfly ceramics for me a while ago.
Small shop - there's no online configurator or anything like that. All the details are simply through contacting the store owner via email.
Price quoted in the shop is (or at least was) only for small quantities. Back when I had mine made, I received a substantial volume discount for 1k+ chips.
Thanks a lot, I'll take a look. So many options and decisions to be made in the coming couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Argh, while waiting for samples, the Majestic pink .25c chips have gone out of stock. Disaster!

Have you considered the new 43mm offerings from Apache. The colours look a big upgrade from the majestics.

This is definitely worth looking into ^ great edge spots on this new line plus 43mm! And above all welcome to the forum!

Yes, but I need a 5c chip for my lil micro set. Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Also, are there storage issues with 43mm chips, or do they fit in regular/common chipcases? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Shoot them a message they are good about responding and letting you know when they will be back in stock... Those are one of their #1 selling chips, I'm sure when quantities are low the order goes in... Saddly I have seen it take a few months to actually get here but if you get your samples and you're happy I don't think this is the end of the world!

We all feel that way when we have a plan and only one vendor selling what we are looking for and not a lot of options otherwise... Hang in there it will work out! Like I said that's their bread and butter they won't be out of stock long!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom