I want to buy a smoker (2 Viewers)

For Kamado owners, I just watched an episode of the above linked Smoking Dad BBQ and he adds wood chips into the Ash tray on the bottom when more smoke is needed. Brilliant IMHO. Gonna try that next time (Sunday).

Thanks for the clarification. I think I may pull the trigger on it. Regarding the sidekick, I don't see myself using the griddle, but do you use the BBQ box and pizza oven much? My gas grill needs to be replaced soon. I am usually only using a small part of the grill for a couple of steaks or some chicken. Any chance that I could get away with using the BBQ box in place of it? Does it sear well? I would love to not have the smoker and the grill in the garage!

Yes, the BBQ box is basically a single burner gas grill, and it is large enough for a couple steaks. And yes it sears well - the burner is 28,000 btu so it really cranks. I've used it to reverse-sear some steaks off the smoker a few times, but since I still have my propane Weber, I basically never take the pizza oven off of the Sidekick.

Not sure if this is the correct link. It's showing me $2500! :eek:
This is what it should show
1653586447778.png

FYI, Im now considering a reqtec to replace my gas grill and eventually my weber smokey mountain bullet. I loooove the bullet, but a pellet smoker has been on my radar due to ease and convenience. always figured id do treager, but im liking the sound of the reqtec.

Does anyone have an argument for traeger over reqtec?

I'm targeting this fall to replace my webber gas grill. I need something that can get high (500 good enough, i think, as long as its truly 500).

Does anyone have an argument for traeger over reqtec?
The answer is no. :)

I'm not sure what budget or size of smoker you are looking at, but I suggest you look at RT-590 and RT-700 (bigger models available if needed), compare build quality, warranty and whatever else is important to you. I looked up a Traeger Pro grill that was $1000 and its hopper size was 18 lbs...the RT-590 is 30 lbs and RT-700 is 40 lbs. RecTeq customer service is 2nd to none...very personable. I've even seen them respond to customers who posted an issue in a FB group and message them directly to correct an issue.

And to be honest, when I did my research a few years ago, Green Mountain Grill was my 2nd choice (under $1000 range), ahead of Traeger.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I may have my OneNote I used to compare everything too...yeah, I'm a nerd like that. :cool

Hmmm... This Camp Chef seems like an even better deal than the one at Dick's!? It is only $30 more at $428, but comes with the foldable front shelf, and has what seems like a more advanced controller?

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-PG...ill+front+shelf+24&qid=1653589875&sr=8-4&th=1

Yep, that's a better deal. The Gen 2 controller is definitely what you want if you can get it - it has bluetooth too. That is the controller I have, but with added WiFi.

This is the grill I have, I can't believe it is $200 more than I paid for it less than a year later.

Last edited:

That foldable front shelf would be awesome to have, since the non-grill surface area is limited if you don’t have another table or something else nearby. I wonder if I could fashion a homemade one somehow.

Yep, that's a better deal. The Gen 2 controller is definitely what you want if you can get it - it has bluetooth too. That is the controller I have, but with added WiFi...

I would love if it had bluetooth, but from what I have seen, it doesn't seem to. I ordered it.

Am I reading this right? Free Assembly from Amazon? This can't be right, what am I missing?

View attachment 917893
I think how that works is they work with a local handyman of some sort to come assemble the grill for you. I recall them offering that for other items that need some sort of installation or assembly as well. I've never used them since I just try to do it myself, but the Kamado Joe is pretty dang heavy so it would be a nice perk if they can do a decent job.

Okay, so I have to buy my first bag of pellets. Is there a big difference between brands and costs, or can you just get away with buying what's on sale LOL.

Okay, so I have to buy my first bag of pellets. Is there a big difference between brands and costs, or can you just get away with buying what's on sale LOL.

i haven't noticed much difference functionally between the brands i have bought, but the bear mountain bag busted open inside the shipping box twice on me so i gave up on having those shipped.

I use Lumber Jack brand. Pretty readily available online. I know Dick's sells them on their website. They sell individual flavors (I use mostly Cherry), but they also have some blended bags as an option if you want to try to meld different tastes together (i.e. they have a Competition Blend bag that mixes Maple, Hickory, and Cherry).

I also hear good things about BBQr's Delight, but have yet to use them.

I have only used Kingsford Hickory. $20 a bag regularly, but I stock up when they go on sale for $12-$14 a bag, which happens regularly either on Walmart or local stores.

Just make sure they're food-grade and not heating pellets, i.e. what you might use in a wood stove. Not only do those use woods that are bad for smoking food, but they sometimes have stick/leaf/etc. remnants in them.

My local grocery store carries the B&B brand. The cost is reasonable (cheaper than better known brands) and I'm very happy with them.

Just googled, and they run about $15 per 40 pound bag.

I also hear good things about BBQr's Delight, but have yet to use them.
BBQr's Delight are awesome. Not just flavored oak like many cheap brands (can you say Traeger?). Low ash which is a must for long cooks. Been using them exclusively for the last seven years in my Yoder YS640. Contest Mix is my personal favorite, 50/50 Pecan and Cherry. Recommended by Yoder and is the pellet they use to calibrate their controllers.

Last edited:
Lowe's has 40 pound bags of Pit Boss Competition Blend on sale right now for $12/bag. I might have to go grab a couple, anyone ever used that kind?

BBQr's Delight are awesome. Not just flavored oak like may cheap brands (can you say Traeger?). Low ash which is a must for long cooks. Been using them exclusively for the last seven years in my Yoder YS640. Contest Mix is my personal favorite, 50/50 Pecan and Cherry. Recommended by Yoder and is the pellet they use to calibrate their controllers.
These pellets are $28 for 20 pounds on Amazon. Gotta believe there's some shipping costs built in to that price. They don't seem to be available to me locally, but gotta say they would have to totally amazing for me to pay 4 times the cost of B&B. ($15 for 40 lbs at a local sporting goods store - Academy)

These pellets are $28 for 20 pounds on Amazon. Gotta believe there's some shipping costs built in to that price. They don't seem to be available to me locally, but gotta say they would have to totally amazing for me to pay 4 times the cost of B&B. ($15 for 40 lbs at a local sporting goods store - Academy)
A poker buddy and I periodically run a group buy buying direct from BBQr's Delight. We had 19 participants in it the last time which was in August of last year. We bought 674 bags which was 8 full pallets. Price with shipping was $6.70 per bag. We usually place an order every 12-18 months.

A poker buddy and I periodically run a group buy buying direct from BBQr's Delight. We had 19 participants in it the last time which was in August of last year. We bought 674 bags which was 8 full pallets. Price with shipping was $6.70 per bag. We usually place an order every 12-18 months.
Will they fit in a LFRB for re-shipping!?

Last edited:
Lowe's has 40 pound bags of Pit Boss Competition Blend on sale right now for $12/bag. I might have to go grab a couple, anyone ever used that kind?
I did some googling. Didn't find too many good things about Pit Boss, but it's certainly very subjective and far from an exact science. This video is very good, these guys seem very informed. It's long, but you can skip around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom