I need help understanding how to safely buy on the site using paypal (1 Viewer)

Check their reputation. And with time, you'll know who you can trust (which is the vast majority of people here). I've done tons of transactions and only got burned once on fracs from Missouri/Kansas. He kept my money and never sent the chips. That was back at CT, not here. I've never had a problem here.

If you're not sure, pay with PP Goods and Services and fund with a credit card so you have recourse if the deal goes south.

Check their reputation. And with time, you'll know who you can trust (which is the vast majority of people here). I've done tons of transactions and only got burned once on fracs from Missouri/Kansas. He kept my money and never sent the chips. That was back at CT, not here. I've never had a problem here.

If you're not sure, pay with PP Goods and Services and fund with a credit card so you have recourse if the deal goes south.

The seller is telling me to send the money to his PayPal account but doesn’t he need to send a request with a description of what I’m buying?

I'm a buyer and I have never had a bad deal where I paid with PayPal and didn't get exactly what I paid for. I have been buying chips since 2005 and not one bad deal.

This is why I love buying my chips from Josh at Apache poker

I was just wondering what the procedure is. I assumed the seller would send me a PayPal request with a description of what I’m buying and then I would send the money and if somehow I got screwed I could call PayPal or American Express

While "reputation" is good, I wouldn't use that as the only reason in whether you decide to deal with someone -- sometimes, members do private deals through the PM system (which wouldn't show up in reputation) or sometimes people don't use the rep system after a transaction.

While "reputation" is good, I wouldn't use that as the only reason in whether you decide to deal with someone -- sometimes, members do private deals through the PM system (which wouldn't show up in reputation) or sometimes people don't use the rep system after a transaction.

^This. Most of my transactions occur behind the scenes via PM, a few have been public of which not even all of them would be reflected in the feedback.

I wouldnt worry too much about it If you are dealing with a long time member.

If you are unsure about the deal just pay with goods and services. If something goes wrong you can get your money back

If you aren’t 100% confident in the seller, pay by goods and services. Make sure to put a detailed description of what you are paying for on the notes and pay 3% to protect yourself.

Don’t be afraid to PM long time members to ask if they think whoever is safe person to deal with too. Some people take breaks from the site for a long time so new members may not realize they are safe to deal with.

And if you are like me you keep @detroitdad on hotkey for fastest payment l! :D

There was a person that was harvesting chips for members in Vegas that went bad for several members.

All that said I too have never had a bad deal. But I do buy by goods and services with people that aren’t very active (low post count) and no or very little feedback.

I’d hate to lose $1,000 because I didn’t want to spend an extra $30.

99% of sales here are private individual to private individual and don't have vendor accounts. Most of us use f&f option but if you dont want to do that you should be able to just add 3% to the transaction total. Confirm with seller this is ok. If it is a long time member you should be ok. If you have a question about someone shoot me a PM. I'll see if I can help

Can any explain how to properly buy chips from another user using PayPal?

Trusted member - Friends & Family (only put user name in description)
Unsure - add 3% and use Goods & Services
Be sure to let the seller know in advance in either case.

Also be aware you are charged a fee (if international deal) due exchange fees by Paypal.

My first transaction when i joined was scary too lol. Complete trust not knowing if i was gunna get screwed. But over time and dealing with plenty of different individuals ive learned the good and the bad. Not once have i been burned since i joined. (Knock on wood) doesnt mean it doesnt happen, just hasnt been my experience so far

As said before if you aren’t sure use PayPal Goods and Services when you send payment. The seller won’t send you a receipt or anything (this site is made up of hobbyist mostly not people running small businesses with POS systems) but if you don’t get what you expected PayPal will mediate any disputes and generally favor with the buyer. I’ve used this feature when a seller, that is now banned, was selling non-existent chips and I got my money back no problem. Note this happening is extremely rare like 1 out of 1,000+ transactions.

Hint: you can also pay with your credit card using G&S. It’s still the same 3% fee however you can now open up a claim with both PayPal and your credit card company if needed.

Last edited:
I assume I don’t want to use PayPal friends and family?
f have conducted many, many transactions with PCF members through PayPal for chips -- well in excess of $150,000 worth, and probably twice that amount -- and I can count on a single hand the number of transactions that were NOT via the friends and family option. This includes selling, buying, and both collecting and transferring funds for group buys.

Just know who you are dealing with, and use a credit card if you don't. Worth the extra 3% for peace of mind, until they get added to your "trusted member" list too.

I echo what others have said. I've yet to have a bad deal go down on PCF. If I was dealing with a new member or someone I wasn't totally comfortable with just yet I would pay the extra 3% and pay via G&S.

If you aren’t 100% confident in the seller, pay by goods and services. Make sure to put a detailed description of what you are paying for on the notes and pay 3% to protect yourself.

Don’t be afraid to PM long time members to ask if they think whoever is safe person to deal with too. Some people take breaks from the site for a long time so new members may not realize they are safe to deal with.

And if you are like me you keep @detroitdad on hotkey for fastest payment l! :D

There was a person that was harvesting chips for members in Vegas that went bad for several members.

All that said I too have never had a bad deal. But I do buy by goods and services with people that aren’t very active (low post count) and no or very little feedback.

I’d hate to lose $1,000 because I didn’t want to spend an extra $30.

I've done dozens of transactions without issue. I think I was bitching to you about a sale I missed out on a few years ago. You gave me some sound advice. Buy what you want, and worry about the money later. I've kind of lived by that mantra lol.

Lots of transaction on this and other chips site and really only 1 bad apple (Drumhoss) out of the bunch and that was with a site vendor. So reputation doesn't always equate to a good transaction. In fact I had done numerous transaction with the offending party before without a problem.

The first couple of time you buy from someone whom you've never done business with just use Good & Service & pay by CC until you develop knowledge of who you can trust. Nobody that is reputable should really complain to much about you using G&S since you pay the fees. So for your own safety just pay the 3% until you feel comfortable.

I assume I don’t want to use PayPal friends and family?

I too, have sent north of $1700 to a user I didn't know (personally) using PP F&F on here and it went just fine, but it does seem crazy sending thousands of dollars to someone, with no recourse, that you don't even know.......... :tup:

how to safely buy on the site using paypal

Regarding PayPal is a safe platform, it gives under certain conditions a "buyer protection program" (if the items is not sent, if the item reach the buyer broken, if the item sent to the buyer is not the one purchased"
However; it does not protect if the item purchased is lost in transit. Example: the seller can present a proof of payment is considered "shipped"
I have used twice the "buyer protection program" with PayPal in the 6 years+ plus using it and the problem (refund) was done within the 72 hours.

Do not use PayPal Friends and Family, but assume the +3% of pay by goods and services.

Regarding the seller: Common sense buying on line. Confirm identity of the buyer If you'll send lot of money. Ex: Know that you are buying from Edward Stevens who lives at a valid address and not to Pipper23 from you only know his email. Have also a look to his reputation. And don't be affraid to ask other members of the forum if anyone knows Pipper23 and is he/she is a trusted seller.

Happy shopping !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom