I made some custom modern poker chips! (1 Viewer)

hailiax

Waiting List
Reaction score
mess.png

What do you all think? Any feedback is very appreciated!

I'm trying to do a bulk order, anyone want to buy?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hailiax/suits-contemporary-poker-chips

Constructive criticism: The effective lack of edge spots sort of leaves a lot of potential untapped to make the chips more usable. Those tiny, evenly spaced dots in all the same color don't help much when you're trying to eyeball how many chips are in a stack just looking at its side. And under bad lighting conditions, it'll be hard to tell different denominations apart when you only see the edge, i.e. dirty stacks will be a problem. The base color of the 100 and 500 is virtually indistinguishable even under halfway good lighting conditions.

Now why am I suddenly thinking of mafiosi and candy...

View attachment 805720
What do you all think? Any feedback is very appreciated!

I'm trying to do a bulk order, anyone want to buy?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hailiax/suits-contemporary-poker-chips

"A" for effort!

As @Nex already pointed out, it may be difficult to differentiate the denominations without edge spots... the 100 and 500 are very close in color, and the shades of the 1 and the 25 are also very similar, which might be hard on color-blind folks. Dirty stacks could be a potential problem.

Is it possible to add edge spots with your manufacturing process?

Ahh, thank you for the feedback! I'll make the purple lighter on the 500 for sure. It is possible to add edge spots, and I'll definitely try to iterate on some. I'm thinking less evenly spaced dots or small numbers?

What makes good edge spots good?

Interesting design! It's nice to see more diversity in designs, i.e. some that don't adhere to the common poker chip design idioms.

As pictured this one doesn't quite ring my bells. Hard to articulate why; in general I do like modernist ideas, although I'm more partial to classic art deco, which this resembles. I think perhaps these are a bit too plain for my tastes? Perhaps if they had more color, rather than being essentially single-tone? At any rate, aesthetics like this are very personal; make sure your chips match your tastes, and not anyone else's.

Whoever your supplier is, make sure to get samples once you feel like you're close to a final design. Seeing some actual printed chips may dramatically change how you feel about some of your choices.

Interesting design! It's nice to see more diversity in designs, i.e. some that don't adhere to the common poker chip design idioms.

As pictured this one doesn't quite ring my bells. Hard to articulate why; in general I do like modernist ideas, although I'm more partial to classic art deco, which this resembles. I think perhaps these are a bit too plain for my tastes? Perhaps if they had more color, rather than being essentially single-tone? At any rate, aesthetics like this are very personal; make sure your chips match your tastes, and not anyone else's.

Whoever your supplier is, make sure to get samples once you feel like you're close to a final design. Seeing some actual printed chips may dramatically change how you feel about some of your choices.
Definitely gonna get samples. Thanks for the feedback!

Kickstarters have a bad rep on this site. A lot of failures to launch. This crowd is more a group-buy oriented bunch. That said, you can get lots of good advice about what design features “work” and which are running. Spend some time and check out the custom sets people have done.

Kickstarters have a bad rep on this site. A lot of failures to launch. This crowd is more a group-buy oriented bunch. That said, you can get lots of good advice about what design features “work” and which are running. Spend some time and check out the custom sets people have done.
Ah wasn't aware. I should probably set up a group buy if there's interest then. Thanks!

You might consider showing more of the suit design peeking out from under the label. The design aspect is nice, but it doesn't differentiate one chip from the other. Nex gave some great insight, with regards to edge spots, there is a custom chip designer on the site, you can find it in a few locations. You might also check out the chip mock up sub forum on this site.

The Kick Starter might be putting the cart before the horse, I would suggest reading through the group buys to understand the effort involved. Your Kick Starter chip break downs are also cumbersome and not really useable in the quantity break down. If you are new to poker, you might research to understand different games, stakes, and limits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom