I Finally Figured Out Why We Buy & Buy & Buy Chips (1 Viewer)

chippitydoodah

Full House
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
I've been buying chips like a coke head on a weekend bender at Charlie Sheen's house. And I can't stop. I wake up at 2am and check the classifieds. I check eBay. I check Craigslist. I check Mercari. I check Facebook Marketplace. I check my DM's. Check my emails. I'm buying this and I'm buying that. I'm building 4 sets all at once and adding to sets that I'll never felt. And it finally hit me why I've got this chip buying jones.....
It's the ultimate pot scoop. It's the winning all in hand. I beat someone to a post with dibs and I get to say "ship it". It's the same rush as making it through an all in heads up sweat. It's euphoria. It's adrenaline. They're all yours. Then the package comes and you crack it open....ahhhhhhhh there they are. My new beautiful trophies. And you look and you touch and you sort and you shuffle. Yeahhhhhh baby! Love these chips! Wanted these chips. I GOT these chips. And then the adrenaline wears off. You're kinda unsatisfied now. You go back to the forums. Check the for sale threads. You somehow find something you've seen a hundred times before and never ever wanted, never thought you'd ever want, and suddenly its all you crave. I must have this. I can afford this. Ok, I can't afford this but I WANT THIS! When this arrives I'll be satisfied again. I'll open them, shuffle them, splash pot them, sort them and put them on the shelf or in a case next to all my other conquests. And then the whole process starts over again. Maybe this hobby, this addiction, will be the means to an end for me, but right now it's providing such a rush. I find myself being an enabler. I see chips someone else might like and I tag them. I want them to be tempted. I want them to buy something they really didn't know they wanted. I need partners in crime. They do it to me why shouldn't I do the same? Bastards. All of us! And don't forget the accessories. The dealer buttons. The tables. The table toppers. The chairs. The racks. The cases. The cards. The cards shufflers. Then there are the group buys where you just order and pay and at some point a surprise package will arrive. I'm using the group buys like my own personal Poker Chip Of The Month Club! I don't need any of the shit I've ordered I just want something to randomly open. So now that I've figured it all out what can I do? There's no Poker Chips Anonymous that I know of. Nowhere other than here where I can "share". But here is where it all began kind of. Here is where I'll be tempted most. Mmmmmmm just thinking about buying more chips gives me a rush. I guess I'm too hooked to stop but dammit who cares.

My name is Kevin and I'm a Poker Chipaholic.

1683163146022.gif

I'm with you. But I'm more interested in knowing why it happens.

Take me as a complete newbie. Bought a house recently and wanted some chips to start hosting a game at my house. Go on Amazon and look at some sets for around $100. Then making the mistake of... going to YouTube and searching for "poker chip reviews." Stumbling across any videos and you start hearing Paulson, CPC, etc. Then my $100 budget is okay going to $500 for a nicer set. Then I start thinking about why I want to spend $500 if its not the "best" set that I can get. Then I go to CPC and look at nice custom sets... but I don't know what I'm doing. Lets ask for help. Find PCF and here we are... $100 to $1500 just because "I want a nicer set." :(

Hi Kevin. I feel your pain.

I'm doing pretty well in rehab. Starting to realize and reflect that I've had enough. I did this back in the end of 2020 as well but relapsed. This time I'm going strong! 10 days so far without a chip purchase lol

@chippitydoodah
Hi Kevin, Welcome to PCF........ ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto. Poker chips are cool and I love them. I love buying them and hate selling them. To me, they're little pieces of forever art. I went down the rabbit hole a long time ago and I'm not coming back any time soon.
Good Luck on your chipping adventure.
John, (asam2006)

Thought after I got a set of CCs I wouldn't need any Paulsons.. hahahaha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom