How to avoid cheating in home games? (1 Viewer)

My 15th birthday is tomorrow...

But for real, everyone who says I should be happy about looking 10 years younger than I am can kick rocks, it sucks!
Same boat buddy. Sick of the “oh but when you’re older it’ll be great” :meh:

Sucks now, but when you're 40 and smile at a good looking woman and she looks at you like you just creeped her out... you'll wish you looked 10 years younger again.
I 'm now 50 and look 10 years younger. It doesn't help much:LOL: :laugh:
Of course, it depends on your target age group.
I 've always liked 40-smth ladies, being older and mature and without edges, and more experienced. It's utterly shocking to find out that a day comes when they 're younger:whistle: :whistling:

We had a guy who would get way too mad at games when he lost. He throws his head in his hands and trembles when a hand is lost. The last game I played with him, we all thought he was gonna go postal. Literally stood in the corner and stared at the wall for a good 5 minutes. Upon cashing out, he insulted the host and needless to say, will never be invited again.
@Cdsmitck got a good shot of me raking in a pot against him. Ignore the dice chips and possibly the dirtiest pot ever. His reaction was nothing short of his usual self.

View attachment 337590

Bewildered as to why he kept getting invited back until he stared at the wall for 5 minutes. You all are way more giving than I am. I am very much in the “this is my home” and “life is too short for a$$hats” category. I don’t care how much they might be contributing to the pots.

Bewildered as to why he kept getting invited back until he stared at the wall for 5 minutes. You all are way more giving than I am. I am very much in the “this is my home” and “life is too short for a$$hats” category. I don’t care how much they might be contributing to the pots.

I think it has to do with him donking off $400+ on a usual night. Granted, I would never invite him to my game, but I’m always glad to see B-Ruce at someone else’s game.

Btw, calling him B-ruce rather than Bruce might lead to him going on tilt so often.

cheating was the topic. was

Apologies for thread derailment.

Something that may not have been mentioned above is creating a culture at your home game of a strict following of rules. I think a cheater would be somewhat deterred if the host set that expectation from the start.
A way to do this without being a rule nazi would be to nail “infractions” as soon as they happen. Pot being splashed, deal with it immediately rather than wait and see if the player does it again. Things like that.

Also, lowering stakes. I don’t think anyone wants to cheat for $20. On the other hand, if the game is $5/10, cheating may be enticing to a fellow with nefarious intentions.

I think it has to do with him donking off $400+ on a usual night. Granted, I would never invite him to my game, but I’m always glad to see B-Ruce at someone else’s game.

Btw, calling him B-ruce rather than Bruce might lead to him going on tilt so often.

Yeah, not my scene at all.

I 'm now 50 and look 10 years younger. It doesn't help much:LOL: :laugh:
Of course, it depends on your target age group.
I 've always liked 40-smth ladies, being older and mature and without edges, and more experienced. It's utterly shocking to find out that a day comes when they 're younger:whistle: :whistling:
Go to southeast Asia and you will be a chic magnet...filled with 40 year Olds begging for your attention. Hahaha

A way to do this without being a rule nazi would be to nail “infractions” as soon as they happen. Pot being splashed, deal with it immediately rather than wait and see if the player does it again. Things like that.
It also helps to explain the "why's" of a rule. Every rule has a purpose.
Also, lowering stakes. I don’t think anyone wants to cheat for $20. On the other hand, if the game is $5/10, cheating may be enticing to a fellow with nefarious intentions.
Before a cheat risks anything at a $5/$10 game, they are going to hone their art at a lower stakes game. Saying "I don’t think anyone wants to cheat for $20" is exactly the same as saying "I don’t care if anyone wants to cheat for $20".

If you care about losing $20 to a cheater, then there is a cheater cares about winning $20.

Before a cheat risks anything at a $5/$10 game, they are going to hone their art at a lower stakes game.

^ Agree.

Once had a guy in the middle of a friend’s tournament who actually suggested everyone to stop cutting the cards “because it is a waste of time”. :confused

“what, are you an amateur mechanic?” (I don’t think he knew what that meant) “Eric if we don’t cut the cards, I’m leaving”. Fortunately the host agreed with me and shut the guy down.

I’ve witnessed people colluding, group playing, or whatever you wanna call it. I think thats more common than people realize. Getting in a pot with your friends and checking it down after forcing someone out. That’s the only thing that I’ve witnessed.

How to avoid cheating at a home game? Easy, display your gun collection behind the table :tup: jkjk
96274216-CD2F-4AAC-B095-CC2338BC82DB.jpeg
any body caught cheating the whole room goes up

I've caught collusion, lean back to peek at neighbor's hand, and have been told that a player was looking at discarded hands.

I did not personally catch it, but it was mentioned to me, so I stressed the importance of maintaining secrecy when dealing in the next newsletter.

Many of these things may be innocent (curiosity, alcohol involved incidents, or simply not being aware they were colluding), but stopping it early prevents the temptation down the road.

First game I hosted one guy pulled out a bunch of chips from his pocket. Most of us were pretty sure he wasn’t rat-holing but not sure so we let it slide. Totally my fault as I left the extra chips on a side table with no protection - the last time I made that mistake. Keep your extra chips safe!

And he’s not been invited back since.

I think collusion is the most obvious type of cheating in home games.
Other types of potential ways of cheating:
- manipulating the deck (in a self deal game) ;
- cash-out chips introduced by players (e.g a player knows you use $25 Aztar and he tries to cash out his own $25 Aztar).

To mitigate the risks, you shall keep control on who you're inviting and use (semi-)custom chips.

Kid, I think collusion is one of the most difficult things to catch and one of the hardest to beat. Maybe you know something about finding it and catching it I don't. Why do you think it's the most obvious?

Your last point is definitely on point!

first, avoid paranoia
In home games cheating will not be the first concern but angle shooting

The usual cheats at home games are the ones that are not sophisticated such as;
dealing from the bottom
read marked cards
peeking at other players' cards
peeking botom card from the deck
going south
Make the house rules known before dealing any cards and also how disputes will be handled. Also, anyone you dont know you let know what happens to cheaters in your house. Eezy peezy

Kid, I think collusion is one of the most difficult things to catch and one of the hardest to beat. Maybe you know something about finding it and catching it I don't. Why do you think it's the most obvious?

Your last point is definitely on point!

The only thing you can do is to keep control on your invite list. For instance, don’t let people invite other people you don’t know in your game or ban people you are convinced they are colluding. There is not much you can do except this...

In tournament, make sure that all seats and tables are always drawn randomly.

There is an article about that on Pokernews : https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/...st-cheating-in-home-games-collusion-24197.htm

By most obvious I meant that it’s the type of cheating I was thinking about and probably that you’ll encounter in your home games - maybe without noticing it - more often (compared to deck manipulation, cash out your own chips, ...).

Last edited:
For instance, don’t let people invite other people you don’t know in your game
Looking back at my last big game, I had 18 players.

16 of them, I met for the first time playing poker. The other two were my wife and myself.

Friends inviting friends is a crucial component to keeping a game alive, especially in my rural community. You cannot avoid inviting someone just because you don't know them. Killing the game to protect the integrity of the game is like killing the patient to stop the disease. It's effective, but wrong.

Collusion will happen. Often it won't even be "colluding", it may be a guy slaying softer vs his girlfriend that he is just teaching how to play poker. She may be the benefactor, but is she doing anything wrong? It could be a spouse laying down a monster, because they have a better read on their partner than the best poker player in the world could ever get. That's not wrong, it's just good poker play.

Soft play will be more common than "whipsawing" or telegraphing cards when it comes to collusion. It is best to just stay vigilant, and bring up the topic when it is suspected. You don't have to accuse anybody. If a soft-player is willfully doing something wrong they will know you are talking about them, and will stop. If not, then you uninvite that player.

But you cannot stop inviting people, just because you don't know them. While those 16 people were unknown to me at the time, I now consider them all friends.

You're right. I also met new friends at the Poker table.
I fact I met them at another game and when I'm confortable with them, then I invite them at my own game.
Of course, you won't make your game grow fast like this. From my end, my game is mostly a friendly STT followed sometimes by a cash session which does not need to expand.
So indeed I understand your point of view.

Deck manipulation - can be eliminated by shuffling and having a different person cut the deck.

This reduces the chances of deck manipulation. But it does not eliminate it.

For example, if the shuffler places certain cards at the top or bottom of the deck, or even just observes the location of a few cards in the deck as s/he completes their shuffle, by carefully watching the cut they can pretty well know whether those cards will be in play in the hand, or if they can be subtracted.

This is obviously not as big an advantage as stacking a deck perfectly to determine a precise outcome. But it can be big advantage for a sharp player over the course of a long game. (We found this out the hard way in our game.)

Say, if you know the ace of spades is unlikely to be in anyone’s hand, because it was on top of the deck and got cut toward the bottom half, that changes everything if you make a pair of kings, or there’s a spade draw on the board.

A guy I removed from our game was doing essentially that. He rarely had the chance to truly stack a deck, but he would watch his shuffle as much as possible and then based on the cut have useful information to gain an edge. Being a very canny player, having even that small edge once per orbit was very profitable for him, until caught.

Such a cheat could also watch closely as other people shuffle/cut to gain the same edge, as plenty of home game players do a poor job of shuffling securely. But that would be harder to prove.

This reduces the chances of deck manipulation. But it does not eliminate it.

For example, if the shuffler places certain cards at the top or bottom of the deck, or even just observes the location of a few cards in the deck as s/he completes their shuffle, by carefully watching the cut they can pretty well know whether those cards will be in play in the hand, or if they can be subtracted.

This is obviously not as big an advantage as stacking a deck perfectly to determine a precise outcome. But it can be big advantage for a sharp player over the course of a long game. (We found this out the hard way in our game.)

Say, if you know the ace of spades is unlikely to be in anyone’s hand, because it was on top of the deck and got cut toward the bottom half, that changes everything if you make a pair of kings, or there’s a spade draw on the board.

A guy I removed from our game was doing essentially that. He rarely had the chance to truly stack a deck, but he would watch his shuffle as much as possible and then based on the cut have useful information to gain an edge. Being a very canny player, having even that small edge once per orbit was very profitable for him, until caught.

Such a cheat could also watch closely as other people shuffle/cut to gain the same edge, as plenty of home game players do a poor job of shuffling securely. But that would be harder to prove.
The dealer should never see the faces of the cards. Proper shuffling makes that level of deck manipulation much more difficult (though I would not say impossible). Make sure the dealer never picks up the deck with the cards facing him - they should always point away.

The dealer should never see the faces of the cards. Proper shuffling makes that level of deck manipulation much more difficult (though I would not say impossible). Make sure the dealer never picks up the deck with the cards facing him - they should always point away.

I would love for everyone in every self-dealt home game to shuffle like a pro. The reality falls far short of that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom