How much change kept on hand? (1 Viewer)

CraigT78

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I did a quick search, and didn't find a thread dedicated to this, apologies if it is a double post. Feel free to "angry face" me if so, I won't take offense.

How much change do y'all keep on hand for your home games? What break down?

Pre-Covid I had a whole bunch of singles (enough for a night at Secrets), $5, and $10s. But the kids have slowly whittled that down in the last year. (Yes, even they beat me at poker)

As I plan on going to the bank tomorrow to restock, I was curious how much y'all keep away for making change at cashouts.

I keep 20-25 ones, 10 fives, and a few tens, along with 20s to break larger bills. Normally it isn't too much of an issue, as I use my bankroll and haven't been spending too much.

Normally with some cycling in and out, it'll last all year.

Angry emojis are so hot right now.

But what I do is after hitting the ATM on the way to the game I stop at a gas station buy a $2 quick pick for whichever jackpot is higher paid for with a fresh ATM $20 and then ask if they can break a $20.
So you go to a cash game with change. Permanent spot on my invite list. Bonus if the lotto ticket becomes a splash pot.

I like my bank to include as many bills as needed if I had to pay every player the maximum number of bills in each denomination. For 8 players that would be $1 x 32, $5 x 8, and $10 x 8. As a practical matter I go heavy on the $5s and light on the $10s. I did buy more than this when I established the bank and rarely had to replenish it or top it up.

Former Girl Scouts are always prepared!

Who needs change, just win all the monies!

typically I keep about $100 worth of small bills, about $20 in $1’s a bunch of $5’a and only a few $10’s. There are usually a few $50’s in the bank that can be used for and odd amount so a $10 isn’t needed.

When I host, I ensure I have a bunch of small bills and loose change - usually CHF 20 worth of CHF 1 and 2 coins and a handful of CHF 10 bills - especially as our group loves to buy in with CHF 100 and 200 bills... Our players usually round off their cash-outs, giving the host the change as a "thanks" for hosting and to cover pizza costs, so that does prevent odd-numbered cash-outs for the most part.

When I'm not hosting, I do my best to buy in with small bills to help ensure there's change at the end of the night.

25c x 40 = $10 roll
$1 x 40 = $40
$5 x 10 = $50
$10 x 10 = $100
$50 x 1 = $50
This serves as my first $200 buy-in (in case I get felted so I don't have to pay out using 1s and quarters). Never opened the roll of quarters but I keep it on hand in case anyone ever asks for exact payout. I rely on veteran players to demonstrate what should be done with odd singles and fracs.

Everyone pays in to my paypal then you can cash people out easily, thats what i prefer
I just take note of what everyone buys in for. When they cash out we settle the difference electronically. So in total there are n-1 transactions if we're n players. Works well, I think.

Only problem is that someone who is +43 would just ask for 2×20 bills in the days of yore, but with easy app transfers they take the 43. So tips have gone down significantly... :(

Reactions: Lix
I just take note of what everyone buys in for. When they cash out we settle the difference electronically. So in total there are n-1 transactions if we're n players. Works well, I think.

Only problem is that someone who is +43 would just ask for 2×20 bills in the days of yore, but with easy app transfers they take the 43. So tips have gone down significantly... :(
This sounds like a nightmare.

Our buy in is $100-$150, so I buy in 150 with 1s, 5s and 10s. That is enough change for cash out

If I'm hosting I usually have 1,5, and 10 bills for $60 of my first buy in. Many of our players are also hosts and will also buy in initially with some small bills, so we like to make it easy for each other.

typically I keep about $100 worth of small bills, about $20 in $1’s a bunch of $5’a and only a few $10’s. There are usually a few $50’s in the bank that can be used for and odd amount so a $10 isn’t needed.

^This. I have a few hundred in twenties as well (stashed away upstairs, not in the immediate change bank) - my guys are *usually* really good about bringing $20s, but I've had a game or two in the past where nearly everyone brought a $100 to play....

Every once in a while I get wrapped packs of 1s and 5s from the bank. I rarely need them. I always pay out in big bills first and keep the small stuff for change in the future. That seems to make everyone happy.

This usually covers it. :D

PXL_20210204_144231437.jpg

I know this is overkill, but that's my style. I take the max # of each bill/coin a player could cash out with and multiply it by the # of players. Talking about change making bills/coins, $10 and under.

For my 25c/50c game with 9 players I like to have about 30 quarters in my drawer, about 40 $1's, about 10 $5's and 10 $10's

For my 25c/50c game with 9 players I like to have about 30 quarters in my drawer, about 40 $1's, about 10 $5's and 10 $10'
Like @krafticus mentioned, in cash games most players round payouts and leave the odd quarters and 1s for the host to help pay for food and just because that's how we roll in the DMV so no need for coins

I know this is overkill, but that's my style. I take the max # of each bill/coin a player could cash out with and multiply it by the # of players. Talking about change making bills/coins, $10 and under.

For my 25c/50c game with 9 players I like to have about 30 quarters in my drawer, about 40 $1's, about 10 $5's and 10 $10's
I also keep zero coins. Never had anyone ask, always rounded down the odd cents.

We've pretty much moved away from playing $.25/.50 anyway - $1/$1 is the blinds we play now. Keeps me from having to chase fracs for different sets as well.

$50 bills are bad luck...you can’t use them to buy in at my house.

I have a nylon zippered deposit envelope with a roll of quarters and $200 in $1 / $5 / $10. Makes cashing out easy. We play .25/.50 NL hence the quarters. People buy in in $20s so I need change to cash out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom