How many edge spot & colour design revisions before ordering customs? (1 Viewer)

How many design revisions did you make before ordering a set of customs?

• 1-10

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 11-25

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • 26-50

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 51-100

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 101-200

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • More than 200?!

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

doakwolf

Straight
Reaction score
Curious to know how many dot-pattern and colour design revisions people go through before ordering custom chips? Hoping to keep the poll opened to those who have ordered customs (from any manufacturer).

I won't answer the poll because I haven't purchased customs yet but I am up to revision 80-something since beginning designs. Each of these revisions may only have involved a single dot or colour change to just one chip but all chips (for this one set) are totally different to what I started with - and what I thought I liked/wanted. I think I'm happy with the current design.

I guess it's hard to recall exact numbers if you tended to save over the previous revision on the design tool but feel free to estimate.

Edit: "edge spot" in place of "dot pattern" in (noob :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure for two reasons.
  1. I thought I was pretty anal, but I'm not so anal that I counted the number of times I tweaked/revised my design.
  2. I'm not sure how small of a change qualifies as a revision.
My only set of true customs are my cards mold Texas Flood tournament chips.

20210626_233329.jpg

I will say that once I came up with the idea, my first rough draft of the inlay artwork came together pretty quickly. I pulled several icons down from the web and played around very unprofessionally using the design app that's built in to the Avery labels website. At first it was just going to be labels for my china clay 8V chips, but then I got involved with @SeanGecko and his first big cards mold GB, so I decided to make this custom tournament set too. I had an inlay design that looked sorta like this, and picked my colors and spots on the CPC chip design tool. Then once I had it pretty close to what I wanted, I turned it over to @timinater to make it look good and create the AI files that Tina would need.

So if a revision is every time I tried a different icon, or moved it around a bit, or changed a color or a font, or tweaked the chip colors and spots, then yeah, I was probably well into the 100s.

But if a revision means every time I had something that I thought was reasonably complete and doable, but then changed my mind and went a different direction, then probably no more than 10-15 times working on my drafts, and then a few more after Tim took over to wrap it up.

It's a good point you raise about defining revisions. I'd say any change to colour combos and dot styles. I can somewhat track mine because I made habit to export a JPG of each revision so as to never lose any concepts/ideas along the way - plus it allowed me to easily put the previous design side-by-side with the new design to see whether I was happier with the new version etc. Using the CPC design tool is easy enough to save bulk lots of designs for historical reasons.

The thing that fascinates me most is what I thought I wanted initially is nothing like where I've ended up today.

What's the background for the "Texas Flood" set? (which I really like BTW!). SRV-themed?

By "dot pattern" are you referring to edge spot pattern?

For my custom set, the most amount of revisions were around the inlay design, and relatively fewer were about the colour and pattern choices.

By "dot pattern" are you referring to edge spot pattern?

For my custom set, the most amount of revisions were around the inlay design, and relatively fewer were about the colour and pattern choices.
Yes mate, edge spot is what I mean.
Interesting to hear. So you just had a really good idea of what you liked in terms of edge spots and colours from the beginning?

Do you count projects you worked on but set aside because in the end they didn’t do anything for you? Then a lot.

Still revising the first set I actually purchased.

I enjoy the artistry of it. It’s not being anal, but asking what-ifs and pulling in ideas and inspiration. It’s fun, and I’ll be bummed when my last set is complete.

Yes mate, edge spot is what I mean.
Interesting to hear. So you just had a really good idea of what you liked in terms of edge spots and colours from the beginning?

Base colours, yes, because mine was a tribute set that paid homage to an existing set. Edge spot patterns were a little looser and colours were wide open.

Inlay was redesigned a lot, with some helpful input from the membership.

It's a good point you raise about defining revisions. I'd say any change to colour combos and dot styles. I can somewhat track mine because I made habit to export a JPG of each revision so as to never lose any concepts/ideas along the way - plus it allowed me to easily put the previous design side-by-side with the new design to see whether I was happier with the new version etc. Using the CPC design tool is easy enough to save bulk lots of designs for historical reasons.

The thing that fascinates me most is what I thought I wanted initially is nothing like where I've ended up today.

What's the background for the "Texas Flood" set? (which I really like BTW!). SRV-themed?
Rather than take up a bunch more space here talking about my set, here's a link to a thread I started back pretty early in the design phase. You can see from the first photo both how much the design changed, and how close I was from the start. Base colors and edge spots were pretty well locked in from the beginning, although there was definitely a lot of time put in on those before I posted this thread.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-attempting-my-first-chip-label-design.57520/

I agree that the definition of the term  revision is important. For me, it was the number of times I requested an updated mockup or proof from my designer, the great @J5. My first set of customs required more proofs than the second. Sadly, I can't locate the files. I voted 11-25 as an approximation.

If you're interested in reading about my experience with my first set of customs, check out this thread. It was an exciting time!

Well, I think the results aint representative in the end, because who really counts his amount of Design changes? :p well, at least I never counted them. But there are a looooot....

I guess the poll has confirmed what I needed to hear - I'm not a nutter for changing my mind sooooo many times :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

For me (and many, I'm sure), CPCs are a major investment. Particularly in the face of a recession. Probably shouldn't be spending the money at all but I know I want these to be right the first time.

I guess the poll has confirmed what I needed to hear - I'm not a nutter for changing my mind sooooo many times :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

For me (and many, I'm sure), CPCs are a major investment. Particularly in the face of a recession. Probably shouldn't be spending the money at all but I know I want these to be right the first time.
I decided to go with 26-50 for purposes of science!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom