How long does it take to make a pizza? (2 Viewers)

The only reason I don't own a peel is because of storage considerations. My dream is to build a pizza oven outside, then I will need the peel.
This is almost exactly what I have and it is easy to store. Also is perfect for prepping the pizza before going in the oven.
Here is a good one: https://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foo...41?keywords=pizza+peel&qid=1583428539&sr=8-41

And I absolutely have been surfing the outdoor wood-burning pizza oven websites. Some awesome ovens out there. And good for more than pizza.

....I haven't gotten a digital thermometer to assess the temperature of a steel vs. a stone, but everything I've read and heard from empirical experience indicates that steels get much hotter than ceramic stones, which results in a crisper crust and shorter baking times....

They reach the same temperature -- neither gets any hotter than the air in the oven. -- and a 1/4 inch thick steel heats more slowly than a 3/4 -1 inch thick stone. I suspect the steel holds a bit more residual heat than a 1-inch stone, but that probably varies with the type of stone, and isn't significant for baking a pizza.

....But if you're fancy:
View attachment 418118

Those are only good if yhou want to launch half your pizzas into the back wall of your oven. :nailbite:

This is what our best local pizza place (the one with the oven in my first post above) uses -- 9 inch diameter. The pizza maker is an artist. This is a very good Italian restaurant, owned by an Italian and Albanian family, and we always sit at the counter, just to watch him in action. Best show in town!

PizzaPeel.jpg

a pizza paddle, an oar, pool skimmer, weapon...one of the best all in one tools i ever seen...but i still wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole :whistle: :whistling:

If you don't have a built-in, the top of your reefer makes a dandy place to store your peel. And a portable hunk of marble for making dough, candy, etc...
:cool
If reefer is old-man slang for refrigerator, that space is already kinda full. We've expanded our kitchen significantly, but it's still too small for someone who loves to cook. That's why I'm looking to expand into the great outdoors.

They reach the same temperature -- neither gets any hotter than the air in the oven. -- and a 1/4 inch thick steel heats more slowly than a 3/4 -1 inch thick stone. I suspect the steel holds a bit more residual heat than a 1-inch stone, but that probably varies with the type of stone, and isn't significant for baking a pizza.
The other issue is conductivity. Metal has much higher conductivity. Steel at the same temp as stone will give up (transfer) its heat far more rapidly to something in direct contact than stone will. This is why touching a roaring cast iron or steel wood stove will burn you immediately, but touching a soapstone stove at the same temp will not.

(I recommend not trying this.)

I tried this this afternoon, it took me zero minutes and no time out of my drive home to carry out 2 large 2 toppings.

I'm almost 100% it was not nearly as delicious as anything posted here lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom