How long before you’d sell chips out from underneath someone? (1 Viewer)

cheque_raise

Two Pair
Reaction score
Let’s say you agreed to sell someone some chips, we ll call it two barrels. They agreed to pay your asking price sent all info, got your PayPal address. Suppose they still hadn’t paid you the following day, do you give them benefit of the doubt.. or just assume they’re out and sell to someone else? Asking for a friend.. lol

They're your chips and do what you please. That being said...

I'd give the prospective buyer one or two days to pay up and upon day 3 of non-payment, send a PM stating that they have 24 hours to pay or else the chips in question are fair game again.

As a buyer, unless I specifically request more time and it's granted, I always pay within a day, if not right away to seal the deal.

I’m the one on the receiving end of this one.. someone agreed to sell me 2 barrels yesterday, while stating that they wouldn’t have the opportunity to send them out until Monday. Then tonight said they said they sold them to someone else. I need 21 $25 HSI secondaries to complete my set.

I’m the one on the receiving end of this one.. someone agreed to sell me 2 barrels yesterday, while stating that they wouldn’t have the opportunity to send them out until Monday. Then tonight said they said they sold them to someone else. I need 21 $25 HSI secondaries to complete my set.
WTF?

I'd try to contact them two or three times. Life happens and there may be a good reason thay haven't followed through.

I don’t care if someone’s radio silent a week after I first contact them. I’m not selling it out from underneath them without follow up first and waiting another 12+ hours. Plus I’d tell them I have another interested party and would sell elsewhere if I didn’t hear back. No idea why some think it’s ok to say one thing and do another with no regard for the other party.

For me, it would depend on the situation and the person on the other end.

I recently sold some stuff and shipped them out before getting payment. Buyers are pretty prominent members (vendors) so there's a high level of comfort.

At the same time I also agreed to sell some chips to another member. Not so well known. I PM'ed asking for shipping info to provide a shipping estimate and didn't hear back for over two days. After more than 48 hours I moved on and agreed to sell to a local friend. I noticed the member had been active on the forum (posting) during that period of silence so I assumed they weren't interested. A couple of hours after making alternate sales arrangements the original person responded to the PM. I told them sorry but too late. To ignore a PM for that long is a slight bit rude in my book.

EDIT. When I'm the buyer I always try to respond immediately. To try to be courteous but also because I want them to ship as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Welp, guess I just found bullet point #321673 to my sale threads in the future. May as well have it clear up front.

Personally, I’m in no rush to sell chips. As long as said buyer is in contact, I’ll work with you and give you time. However, I won’t ship you chips before you pay unless I know you personally. Positive transactions are irrelevant when it comes to that imo.

Two Tuesdays ago, I got my first Covid vax shot. During the following 3-4 days, I took at least fifteen naps in addition to my regular sleep. I still don't feel 100%. If I had made some sort of deal the Monday before that, it is very likely I would have slacked on it at least a little, if not more.

What I'm saying is life happens. Give buyer a little benefit of the doubt, and at least a message or two of reminding and warning. Then you sell to another buyer.

Let’s say you agreed to sell someone some chips, we ll call it two barrels. They agreed to pay your asking price sent all info, got your PayPal address. Suppose they still hadn’t paid you the following day, do you give them benefit of the doubt.. or just assume they’re out and sell to someone else? Asking for a friend.. lol
Depending on how the conversation went I would send them a note saying I'll give you until 9pm tonight (or 24 hrs or some such time frame) to make payment or I am going to move onto the next buyer. If they ghost you, move along.

There are some facts to this whole thing that aren't being made clear. Like wow!

I'm the seller. So you all can take your opinions and ideas of rules to the trash. They can't and won't dictate what I do with my things.

The buyer told me he would pay by the day's end. He was at work, and needed time. I'll give a week if a guy asks for it. He set out the terms, not me. This was yesterday. I received no payment. This morning, I sent a PM, requesting payment again. Got silence.

The mistake I made, was assuming he didn't want to buy because he didn't reply to my PMs despite the fact he was logged in and "engaged in conversation". Gotta stop checking in on people to see if they are on. That's the addict in me and I spend too much time on here.

So ya, I assumed he wasn't interested. So I went on and sold to another buyer. We are well past 24hrs when I made the sale.

I then apologized for my hasty sale and then offered to still help and sell. The comments here of no integrity... WTF...and etc etc...are absolutely bullshit. I am not sketchy or a cheat in any way. I have all kinds of integrity, ask those that have purchased from me. Maybe check my feedbacks, since I have a few. We all make mistakes. I made one here, but so did the buyer by not communicating back until I sent a message saying they are sold. Then he replied instantly with anger.

Why not reply to my earlier message is beyond me.

What a bunch of crap.

I assume people have cash in hand and will pay immediately. However, I understand not everyone’s on this forum 26 hours a day. I would give 24 hours before following up asking whether the buyer is still interested. The follow up message would also explicitly state that if I don’t hear back within 24 hours I’ll assume this person is no longer interested. Very transparent and no hard feelings.

I wasn’t talking to you, but from the sting of the impact and rationalizations you offered, I see that it was well aimed. Thanks.

I had something similar to this happen to me. Was my assumption that @Thomacetti had sold boat cards and a DB after I thought they were mine and I never bothered to ask him if he had multiple, hence the reason why he had a sale listing with more. My assumption turned into a misunderstanding and bit of a spat but fortunately we managed to resolve it in a really good manner. Now have a good relationship on here.

No sense in stressing out the fine details. Just a misunderstanding and easily be resolved.

Last edited:
Communication is always key. I wouldn’t mind working something out if asked, but I find it annoying If I’m seemingly ghosted regarding a transaction when the member in question has been logged on. Rarely happens and to be clear, my limited experience in the matter is completely unrelated to anyone in this thread.

I'd give them a day. I would PM them and explain that I'm selling them in 24 hours if I don't hear from you. After 24 hours. If they sign in during that 24 hrs and don't respond then shame on them.

Glad to see all has been worked out.
Nav is an awesome, stand-up guy.

Just want to add while I personally am okay waiting a few days, I know some on the site only wait the day of. And that's fine. They can do business how they please.

Although if you're honest and ask for a few extra days, I'm sure most agree as long as it wasn't to fund a time sensitive purchase.

I would send a couple PMs, giving them a deadline the second time. If still no response after 4-5 days, I would alert them that I’m going to sell them to another buyer/put them back up for sale.

I'm sometimes a slow mover on transactions myself... so I'm usually willing to give people the benefit of the doubt for 6-7 days. If after that time frame, and no response to PMs, I'll move on to another buyer.

I find that 95% of buyers pay within an hour of agreeing to a deal. I try to do so immediately. If I had agreed to do something and did not pay promptly, or at least communicate with the seller to explain why I could not do so, I would feel like a real heel... So 6-7 days seems to me like a real outlier, and honestly kind of disrespectful to the seller. (Sellers taking 7-10 days to get a package in the mail is similarly lame.)

That said, if we agreed to a deal, I would give the buyer every reasonable chance to make good, since sometimes this delay may be due to some real emergency/tragedy.

Last edited:
There are some facts to this whole thing that aren't being made clear. Like wow!

I'm the seller. So you all can take your opinions and ideas of rules to the trash. They can't and won't dictate what I do with my things.

The buyer told me he would pay by the day's end. He was at work, and needed time. I'll give a week if a guy asks for it. He set out the terms, not me. This was yesterday. I received no payment. This morning, I sent a PM, requesting payment again. Got silence.

The mistake I made, was assuming he didn't want to buy because he didn't reply to my PMs despite the fact he was logged in and "engaged in conversation". Gotta stop checking in on people to see if they are on. That's the addict in me and I spend too much time on here.

So ya, I assumed he wasn't interested. So I went on and sold to another buyer. We are well past 24hrs when I made the sale.

I then apologized for my hasty sale and then offered to still help and sell. The comments here of no integrity... WTF...and etc etc...are absolutely bullshit. I am not sketchy or a cheat in any way. I have all kinds of integrity, ask those that have purchased from me. Maybe check my feedbacks, since I have a few. We all make mistakes. I made one here, but so did the buyer by not communicating back until I sent a message saying they are sold. Then he replied instantly with anger.

Why not reply to my earlier message is beyond me.

What a bunch of crap.
You handled this just fine, same thing I would have done. If the buyer sets the terms and doesn’t respond to a PM, it’s their loss. There don’t need to be a bunch of messages, one is enough. Buyer could have easily sent a message asking for more time, I’m sure you would have obliged.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom