Cash Game How do you payout microstakes? .5/.10 cash vs tournament (1 Viewer)

turtlechip

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning on setting up a 5 player cash game for me and my buddies. I am curious as to how you guys would set up the buy ins(take cash, venmo, etc) since there will be a lot of nickels and quarters involved. Is it just easier to do tournament style and have 1 winner take it all in this case? The goal is to have fun and just that so I don't want the payout to be a hassle.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I'm planning on setting up a 5 player cash game for me and my buddies. I am curious as to how you guys would set up the buy ins(take cash, venmo, etc) since there will be a lot of nickels and quarters involved. Is it just easier to do tournament style and have 1 winner take it all in this case? The goal is to have fun and just that so I don't want the payout to be a hassle.

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like tournament style would be easier unless everyone is willing to do venmo. When I host for .25/50 any left over quarters we throw in the next pot as players cash out. I usually keep extra cash on hand and ppl venmo me and I add the money in to my bankers bag where I keep all the buy ins.

In your case with such small stakes I’d either do all venmo or all cash.

You’re overthinking it. There’ll be very few nickels or quarters needed.

Most of the pay out will be in bills, and it’ll just be the odd change in change.

We play .50/.50 and only cash out to even $5 bill only. Super easy and no messing around.

Everyone throws their “trash” (anything under $5) in the middle and then we high card for the pile. Round to nearest $5, host keeps the rest.

For tournament not necessary cause we know the prize pool before.
4 players or less 100% for the winner
5 players 70% for the winner and 30% for the second
6 to 8 players 2/3 for the winner and 1/3 for the second
9 or more players, 3 players are paid.

Wow I did not expect to get such quick responses! Thank you all!

Are there any issues in keeping 5c/25c/1/5 denominations to reflect buy-ins in tournament games? I see a lot of people using 25/100/500/1000. Is it just that more people favor larger denominations and more chips for tournaments?

I usually have some sodas or something for the players when I host. If we are playing .05/.10, then I just keep the loose change and tell them that it is a small token to help pay for the hosting costs/duties. In 25 years, not a single person has complained about giving up the 55 cents.

Another option is to round the change to the nearest dollar and pay that way.

Or...pay out all dollars and whatever is left (Bill and Steve each have .35, Joe has .40, Wyatt has .75, and you have .15) gets thrown into a PLO flip where the winner gets it all. It should always equal out to an even number unless you take buyins in change.

Different chip sets are definitely preferred for tourney vs cash. You don't want someone pocketing a 5 from the tournament and then trying to cash it in later from the cash game. You can imagine how bad this could get with 25s, 100s, and higher.

We play similar to @jabsolstice and round down to the dollar. Any loose change goes to the house for snacks and beverages. It really is never much of anything though. But it makes it much easier to not have to worry about counting out change. Our buy ins for cash games are usually $10 or $20.

We do anything under $1 goes in the middle and we do a 7 card stud showdown at the end of the night for the few dollars over as the last hand

Flip for the change as needed, or give it to the house. Unless you guys are all broke high school/college kids, the loose change shouldn’t matter much to anyone.

Glad I saw this, I’m conjuring my own game with a group that’s never played before and was wondering the same thing. Starting with .05/.10 just to get their feet wet.

PLO flip for the loose change seems good.

Glad I saw this, I’m conjuring my own game with a group that’s never played before and was wondering the same thing. Starting with .05/.10 just to get their feet wet.

PLO flip for the loose change seems good.
Tbh .25/.25 or .25/.50 can still be very recreationally played with new players and avoid having to get chips that you’ll probably only use for a short wild. If $20 is gonna be the max ppl are buying in for .05/.10 is good. But if you think ppl would be comfortable buying in for $40 I think running .25/.50 is the way to go

Tbh .25/.25 or .25/.50 can still be very recreationally played with new players and avoid having to get chips that you’ll probably only use for a short wild. If $20 is gonna be the max ppl are buying in for .05/.10 is good. But if you think ppl would be comfortable buying in for $40 I think running .25/.50 is the way to go
One problem is they know I’m a long time player, so they don’t want to just punt off $50 to me (I intend to do the punting this first time around, of course). I’m just gonna use NCV chips for these first few sessions. .05/.25/1 and I’ll bring some $5’s just in case.

I intend for us to play limit games if the game holds, just don’t have a good set up for limit yet.

One problem is they know I’m a long time player, so they don’t want to just punt off $50 to me (I intend to do the punting this first time around, of course). I’m just gonna use NCV chips for these first few sessions. .05/.25/1 and I’ll bring some $5’s just in case.

I intend for us to play limit games if the game holds, just don’t have a good set up for limit yet.
I always feel the same way, but I usually end up punting during the game, buying back in/ adding on and breaking even. People are gonna come to your game to have a good time. I always have drinks and food for everyone. The $40 buy in most ppl in my game make keeps them in action for several hours.

Either way dude good luck, I always look forward to hosting poker nights and you’ll have a great time

I have a little cash box I throw buy-ins into when people get chips. I ask people to bring cash, but I keep enough on hand myself to handle electronic payments, or make change (someone bought in for $10 with a 50 dollar bill last time). If someone venmos me $10 to buy in, I throw $10 into the cash box. I 3d printed a little nickel/dime/quarter holder that makes it easy to pay out fractional amounts without busting open the change jar. If I'm feeling lazy I'll round up to the nearest quarter, because who cares about losing 10~15c on a payout. Regardless of how people buy in, I always pay out in cash when people leave.

Thanks in advance!
As someone who has done both. As long as you use venmo/cashapp, Cash games should be viable. This is assuming you have good chip breakdowns. It will be a pain if you have to count hundreds of nickels haha. So this might be a question of what style of game you and your friends rather play. obviously Tournament would be the hands-down easiest thing to cash out, but is your group familiar with the format?

Once we are done anyone still present gets dealt a hand of thermonuclear armageddon pineapple for all the loose change from rounding off, usually $5-$20. To me it's more interesting than drawing a high card. There's no betting but there are at least decisions at each street.

Are there any issues in keeping 5c/25c/1/5 denominations to reflect buy-ins in tournament games? I see a lot of people using 25/100/500/1000. Is it just that more people favor larger denominations and more chips for tournaments?

In a tournament the chips in your stacks are completely decoupled from the buy in amount. It doesn't matter if your buy in is $5 or $100 or whatever, the tournament chips can be the exact same in every case. They don't need to reflect the buy in because you're not redeeming them for cash you're competing for payouts for 1st, 2nd, etc.

In fact it's probably better that they don't match, because let's say I win first place of 10 people and a $20 buy in. I have $200 in chips in front of me but I actually only won $120 or whatever since 2nd and 3rd got a cut of the prize pool too.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom