How Do You Handle Private Game Massive Change In Stakes From What You Were Told? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
The other night I was invited to a private Big O game. Now, I'm an entertaining and friendly person at the tables, but I'm not really known as an action player, so I don't tend to get invites to private games. I was told it was a 1/2 Big O game with a $5 bring-in and ONE optional $10 straddle. However when I arrived, the host decided he was bored of 1/2/5 and made the game a 5/5 with a $10 optional straddle.

Then it wasn't long before he decided you could also restraddle to $20 or make an initial straddle from between $10-25. Then an action player arrived and got a seat and now it changes again and he and the host are regularly making straddles of 25/50

And the host kept trying to pressure me to straddle or restraddle. It was pretty uncomfortable because the action was good and I don't want to not get invited to games, but at the same time I really dislike being told it's a 1/2/5 game with an optional straddle and the next thing I know it's straddling to 25/50 and I'm being pressured as well since I'm not rolled for 25/50

How do you guys handle shit like this?

Including the fish! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
47A202AC-7CCB-4DE4-871B-395B5E7901F3.jpeg

Yeah, I’d just leave if I was not comfortable with the stakes. Especially in a game where I don’t know the people..

The whole thing seems kind of “set-up-ish-y” …..

The host was new to me, I had met him playing in a poker club nearby, and he lives in my city. But I did know a number of people in the game that I play with regularly in the poker rooms around town as well

I didn't get the feeling it was a setup or rigged or anything. Just the host owns a million dollar home and only gets his action junkie rocks off playing for much larger stakes it seems. And that's all well and good, if you tell me that upfront. But when you tell me 1/2/5 with an optional $10 straddle, and then suddenly the game is straddling to 25/50 and you're pressuring me to start straddling to that amount, it kinda pissed me off

I don't want to play fucking preflop bingo with the deep pocketed guys, I can't beat deep pockets long-term playing that game. They can 30/70 you all night until you go broke

The host was new to me, I had met him playing in a poker club nearby, and he lives in my city. But I did know a number of people in the game that I play with regularly in the poker rooms around town as well

I didn't get the feeling it was a setup or rigged or anything. Just the host owns a million dollar home and only gets his action junkie rocks off playing for much larger stakes it seems. And that's all well and good, if you tell me that upfront. But when you tell me 1/2/5 with an optional $10 straddle, and then suddenly the game is straddling to 25/50 and you're pressuring me to start straddling to that amount, it kinda pissed me off

I don't want to play fucking preflop bingo with the deep pocketed guys, I can't beat deep pockets long-term playing that game. They can 30/70 you all night until you go broke
Gotcha, makes sense. And I don’t disagree with you either, I’d probably be ticked as well in that situation.

I'd give a standard one orbit warning that I'm cashing out and leave. I wouldn't put myself in a position to lose my entire bankroll in an hour. If the host asks why you're leaving, I'd just tell the truth.

I don't bring my entire bankroll to ANY game, so it wasn't at risk. You can buyin for 200-1K or match the stack in this game. But once the host and the crazy action player who showed up late start making it 25/50 and then repopping anyone who calls preflop, your effective big blinds become very small and it takes away a lot of the skill edge present in Big O.

Well, at least it’s Big O where there’s a massive edge to be had with minimal variance. That being said, 20bb is 20bb. Options are buy deeper and print, or leave.

Ok, here is step by step instructions for how to handle this:

1. tell the host you have a good friend who wants to play big o.
2. Tell me where and when.
3. Then you will have 2 action players at the game.

5/5/25 Big o. Yum yum. Let’s gooooooo.

depends how much you are in for when the game started and how much you were prepared to lose that night. If your only on a single buyin at the original stakes id try to run it up. If I go busto I just leave after that as Im always prepared to lose a at least a single buyin at every game I rock up to.

Excuse yourself to use the bathroom. Leave an upper decker. When you get back to the table say aren’t feeling very well and cash out. Thank the host for the invite and to let you know when the next game is.

Laugh manically as you roll out in your 3 wheeled fire chicken.

I think you have the answer in your question - a massive change in stakes is easy. Small changes in stakes might make for a tougher decision because you want to be a flexible fun guy. But a massive change like you’ve described - you can walk right out if you want; you don’t owe anybody anything

Step 1) Say you thought it was 1/2 with $10 optional straddle, so that's what you will play, THIS time. Say you'll do better with bankroll in the future.
Step 2) Observe! You're looking to see if it is a fish pond.
Step 3a) Not a fish pond? Never go back.
Step 3b) Fish pond? Get backers and sell yourself, but not from anybody in the game and I wouldn't even tell them. Go back. Profit$$.

Leave an upper decker.
Is the OP tall enough to leave an upper decker? :cool

Ok all silliness aside, I am willing to bet that you are not the only one there with a problem when the stakes rapidly rise like that. Give the standard "one orbit warning", cash out and invite his players to your home game. If he won't take the role of host seriously then completely end his game by stealing all his players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom