SOLD Horseshoe Southern Indiana Sale Thread (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been away from this place for a while and have never participated in these kinds of sales.

So there is no limit on how many of each chip I can get right? It says that there is a limit for the first hour. I'm assuming that it is no longer the case.
However, after the first hour, good luck getting:
  • Fracs
  • High Denominations
  • New Chips
  • Happiness
It's hard to build a set after-the-fact. That's why you should also look at the black friday sale and the set sale since those are complete sets and seem to still be available to purchase.

Is slight warping of these chips normal?
I'm wondering, too. I just received a rack of HSI 1a's and at least 25% are warped. Some so badly warped that I have them in a vice already. At 60 cents a piece is this expected or should I ask for a swap out for the warped chips? I mean they are otherwise lovely, new secondary chips.

HSA 1a warp1.jpg

HSI 1A warp2.jpg

I'm wondering, too. I just received a rack of HSI 1a's and at least 25% are warped. Some so badly warped that I have them in a vice already. At 60 cents a piece is this expected or should I ask for a swap out for the warped chips? I mean they are otherwise lovely, new secondary chips.

View attachment 587586

View attachment 587587
A vice with no heat? I would worry that a warped chip under that cold pressure would want to crack. Has this worked well in the past?
I bought only used HSIs and the 5s were the most warped, but not more than expected for a used chip. I’m surprised a new one has any noticeable warp at all.

View attachment 587586

View attachment 587587
Please let us know how this works out.

View attachment 587586

View attachment 587587
I'm pretty sure that none of mine were warped. I'll check today... Photo shoot opportunity!!!!

So I went through a whole bunch of my mint secondary and mint primary chips. Yes there are a few that have a slight wobble to them, but it's extremely slight. If I compress the barrel I can see the chip compress ever so slightly. here's a picture where you can clearly see some uniformity issues in the second barrel from the left.

However, I wouldn't say that these chips are necessarily "warped". I've had used chips where you could see other people through the barrels. I wouldn't ever think about trying to compress these into a stack of bricks.

PXL_20201206_175519397.jpg

I bought 120 GSI 1a chips. One barrel is perfect, one is pretty good, three can be squeezed by hand to look good, one barrel is rather warped.

Pic shows pretty good barrel next to mint Mesquite barrel next to all warped barrel next to mint JACK G.O. barrel (received in same package with HSI’s).

985A7D57-3318-447E-A990-0192EEF9C83C.jpeg

I bought 120 GSI 1a chips. One barrel is perfect, one is pretty good, three can be squeezed by hand to look good, one barrel is rather warped.

Pic shows pretty good barrel next to mint Mesquite barrel next to all warped barrel next to mint JACK G.O. barrel (received in same package with HSI’s).

View attachment 587701
For the price just order enough so that you can cull out the slightly warped chips until you have what you need

A vice with no heat? I would worry that a warped chip under that cold pressure would want to crack. Has this worked well in the past?
It works to some degree, yes. First I soak the chips in hot tap water for about 10 minutes, then I dry and clamp them. After about 12 hours, they are nearly straight/flat. The worst HSI warped chips are now like the other warped chips, a bit warped. I have another 20 in a wooden handscrew clamp (no hot water) and I'll see how they come out after 24 hours. Not sure how much pressure would be needed to crack one, but I don't think I'm even in the ballpark with pressure to do that.

It works to some degree, yes. First I soak the chips in hot tap water for about 10 minutes, then I dry and clamp them. After about 12 hours, they are nearly straight/flat. The worst HSI warped chips are now like the other warped chips, a bit warped. I have another 20 in a wooden handscrew clamp (no hot water) and I'll see how they come out after 24 hours. Not sure how much pressure would be needed to crack one, but I don't think I'm even in the ballpark with pressure to do that.
I’m sure the soak in hot water is enough to prevent cracks. I was mistakenly assuming by the photo that the chips were just going straight into the vise, lol.
I really like this idea, I wanted to straighten a few and was not looking forward to some of the other recommendations here on pcf (special clamp, oven, etc.)
This way sounds great!

So here's a follow up post. It seems getting these back in shape isn't that hard - maybe they haven't been out of shape all that long. I used wooden handscrew clamps (no heat at all) with a full barrel at a time and after 24 hours most are flat. I've gone through the rack once and will give the chips still with minor warping another pass. I'm happy with result and will proceed with my label-over plans to turn them into fracs. They are good-looking chips.

Photo Dec 10, 8 49 10 AM.jpg

So here's a follow up post. It seems getting these back in shape isn't that hard - maybe they haven't been out of shape all that long. I used wooden handscrew clamps (no heat at all) with a full barrel at a time and after 24 hours most are flat. I've gone through the rack once and will give the chips still with minor warping another pass. I'm happy with result and will proceed with my label-over plans to turn them into fracs. They are good-looking chips.

View attachment 590979
Huh, no heat ... surprised that works, but maybe b/c they were so close to flat to begin with that it's enough to squeeze em back. I would still use ceramic spacers though just to prevent any color transfer.

Where do you get that vice from? Is that a common vice from a regular hardware store like Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, etc..
Or specialized tools order.

Huh, no heat ... surprised that works, but maybe b/c they were so close to flat to begin with that it's enough to squeeze em back. I would still use ceramic spacers though just to prevent any color transfer.
He mentioned earlier that the heat comes from a 10 minute soak in hot tap water.

He mentioned earlier that the heat comes from a 10 minute soak in hot tap water.
Ahhh, right, thanks. Still, surprised it's enough to do it. Also, I'd be worried about a soak for that long WRT the inlays. Some people do say that water can get under them...

To avoid confusion, for all but the most warped chips, I did not soak them.
Very interesting...I would not have expected the chips to remain flat for any length of time without some form of heat to “relax” the material before clamping.
May just need to try this!

View attachment 590979
got any before and after pics?

All five barrels are holding their own. Each barrel received 24-36 hours of clamping. If you squeeze a barrel on one side, it's clear that some chips are slightly wobbly, but none like before.

I could send them through the clamps for another round or a longer round, but the slight warp doesn't bother me so much. Other non-HSI barrels have some chips with slight wobble's as well, just not with the same frequency.

Still a very good buy and I'm awaiting my frac labels for these.

The only change I'd consider is soaking the entire barrel in hot tap water for 7-10 minutes, then a quick towel dry, followed by clamping. That might get them really flat.

(No issues with the factory labels, they aren't going anywhere.)

Attachments

• Photo Dec 18, 11 22 29 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 18, 11 22 29 AM.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom