Home Game Special Events (1 Viewer)

Taxi500

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Do any of your home games have 'special events'? I.e.: An annual tournament, different game once a year, bigger game once a year, etc.

Looking for new and fun things to integrate into our group. We currently do a Semi-Annual tournament which is a big hit.

When I still hosted tournaments, I would do two special events per year.

These were deepstacked tourneys, and to qualify you had to have played in at least 50% of the previous six months’ games.

The buyin was the same as always, but there was a large overlay to the prizepool, collected in small amounts from each of the previous cycle’s games.

I conceived of this to encourage and reward attendance. (Players who missed the cut were in effect subsidizing the special events.)

It worked. People looked forward to the “big” tourneys, and we generally had a social hour with a lot of potluck food beforehand.

Do any of your home games have 'special events'? I.e.: An annual tournament, different game once a year, bigger game once a year, etc.

Looking for new and fun things to integrate into our group. We currently do a Semi-Annual tournament which is a big hit.
Every now and then I'll host something different than we usually do... like a deepstack green chip bounty tournament or we'll play pot limit cash instead of fixed limit. But that's about it.

I run a league that is only a part of the year, with the championship game being the ‘big’ event. The rest of the year is cash games to change it up from the tourneys.

However, last summer, I set up a heads up tourney. It was the event just before the start of the new league season. Instead of our normal Friday night game, we made it an afternoon game with barbecue.

We kicked off the event with an all-in or fold tourney. Unlimited rebuys for the first hour. The elimination order determined seeding for the heads up tourney. Grilling and chilling between the AoF and heads up battle. The heads up tourney was a double elimination bracket.

The AoF tourney was way more fun than it should have been. Guys loved it and definitely wanted to mix it in again. Many guys enjoyed the heads up portion as well because a lot of them don’t often make it to heads up play of a traditional tournament format. So this gave them a way to experience that part of the game.

The plan is to make it an annual event to finish out the summer and usher in the new league season.

I've hosted an annual "Canada Day" event here in Switzerland the past several years. I organize a bunch of Canadian food and drink and make everyone listen to Justin Bieber and Celine Dion on repeat. :wtf:

Seriously though, it's a nice way to celebrate and share my heritage with friends here, and a good excuse to play poker all day. I always do a big BBQ dinner and the homemade Nanaimo bars are always a hit. Can't wait for the next one in just over a month!

1716441324525.png
1716441333249.png

Deep stack bigger buy in tourney.

Bounty tourney.

Heads up tourney.

League championship tourney.

Special food buffet months.

Championship coins and memorabilia giveaways.

Gotta change it up. These things are all meant to keep things interesting. Plus it makes it fun for me getting this stuff ready.

We do cash games pretty much but I have a tournament chipset to do a deepstack

I want to do a deepstack low stake buy in to get players to bring friends so we can do a multi table

If someone's birthday is on / close to game night we pool up the initial Buy In from other members.

We may theme things around certain days like holidays, for Cinco de Mayo I've offered up rewards of $5 for winning a hand with a high card of 5 in your hole cards for ie.

The most recent one being floated around is a formal night, were we will likely dress up in suits / dresses.

I've hosted an annual "Canada Day" event here in Switzerland the past several years. I organize a bunch of Canadian food and drink and make everyone listen to Justin Bieber and Celine Dion on repeat. :wtf:

Seriously though, it's a nice way to celebrate and share my heritage with friends here, and a good excuse to play poker all day. I always do a big BBQ dinner and the homemade Nanaimo bars are always a hit. Can't wait for the next one in just over a month!

View attachment 1332800View attachment 1332801
ahhhh, Caesars' :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom