High hand (2 Viewers)

Strike

Pair
Reaction score
B05A4DFB-E68D-4304-9B3C-4F7903EB8EAA.jpeg

Having our first home game tomorrow no rake, $20 tourney then 25 cent 50 cent cash. I'm tossing in a high hand $20 in $2 chips for the tournament and then $25 1 green chip high hand prize for cash game, from the local poker room as a thank you for coming to the game. (not doing this everytime just a "grand opening" sorta thing to my friends and neighbors coming to play.

Love this idea, and if your players like it maybe they’ll want to fund it at the beginning of the tourney/cash game. My group is only cash and I’ve been looking for something fun to add to the night. We play .25/50. $40 buy ins. Usually play 8-9 handed, having players buy in to the high hand each game would be interesting. Maybe even set a minimum requirement for it so the jack pot can get really big.

I’m curious. In a home game with a high hand pot, does the high hand have to play in order to count? What if everyone folds?

Recently I decided to give out gift cards as high hand jackpots for a 1 table NL game. We played from 7pm to 12pm so I did one high hand per hour. The gift cards were various Starbucks, In-N-Out, Burger King, etc gift cards, mostly worth between $10-$25. Turned out to be a hit with the players!

My rules were that any high hand that was full-house or better qualified. I kept track on my phone during the game. If we were in a hand when my hour alarm went off that hand would qualify for the previous hour. If a player showed their hand after everyone folded (before the river) that hand would qualify.

If no one got a high-hand in an hour period then that prize would roll over to the next hour (offering 2 prizes). Luckily someone won every hour, and as it turned out 5 different people won, so the joy was spread throughout the table lol.

Recently I decided to give out gift cards as high hand jackpots for a 1 table NL game. We played from 7pm to 12pm so I did one high hand per hour. The gift cards were various Starbucks, In-N-Out, Burger King, etc gift cards, mostly worth between $10-$25. Turned out to be a hit with the players!

My rules were that any high hand that was full-house or better qualified. I kept track on my phone during the game. If we were in a hand when my hour alarm went off that hand would qualify for the previous hour. If a player showed their hand after everyone folded (before the river) that hand would qualify.

If no one got a high-hand in an hour period then that prize would roll over to the next hour (offering 2 prizes). Luckily someone won every hour, and as it turned out 5 different people won, so the joy was spread throughout the table lol.
Thanks for your input. Those are great ideas, and I think the hand should count asks when everyone folds. Do you require them to use both of their hole cards?

Thanks for your input. Those are great ideas, and I think the hand should count asks when everyone folds. Do you require them to use both of their hole cards?
I did not require them to use both cards. It was more fun that way. In the first hour a player made quads with only one hole card and ended up winning the gift card for that hour (it held up).

I'm not a fan of needing both hole cards. Ive seen, $5 to enter high hand and win a bottle of whiskey or other beverages/items.

last nights game we gave out high hand pot after 2 hours and another at end of game. Worked out great because both winners had no chance of winning the game, but were both very excited winning a pot of cash.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom