High Desert Cardroom (1 Viewer)

@Kid_Eastwood Thanks for the input. Not sure which I like more.

Here's a couple more, both with the sage around the outer rim. The first is trying to font match the Bourbon Street inlay.

I like the one on the left but the font really makes 'Desert' look like 'Desen'...
Yep, I agree. That font's probably not right, but I like the effect. I'll eventually send these ideas off to one of the artists on here for a more professional finish.

Here's an attempt at a little color matching. Row #1 uses only the base color (the sage green), row #2 uses only a color pulled from the chip, and row #3 uses a base color pulled from the chip and an outline of a slightly darker hue to help define the characters.

I'm not sure which of these I like most. Obviously, the yellow and white get lost in row #2, which is why I made row #3, but I actually like the un-outlined numbers better, especially on the $100 chip. With the outlines, I think the numbers start to look sort of baseball-y, kind of like @SeanGecko's inlays. (Sean, love your chips, just not the look I'm going for here. :))

One other option is to drop the color entirely and use the same dark grey that's used on the text for all the denominations.

Anybody have thoughts?

Here's an attempt at a little color matching. Row #1 uses only the base color (the sage green), row #2 uses only a color pulled from the chip, and row #3 uses a base color pulled from the chip and an outline of a slightly darker hue to help define the characters.

I'm not sure which of these I like most. Obviously, the yellow and white get lost in row #2, which is why I made row #3, but I actually like the un-outlined numbers better, especially on the $100 chip. With the outlines, I think the numbers start to look sort of baseball-y, kind of like @SeanGecko's inlays. (Sean, love your chips, just not the look I'm going for here. :))

One other option is to drop the color entirely and use the same dark grey that's used on the text for all the denominations.

Anybody have thoughts?

View attachment 239430
Maybe use the red on the 1 for the denomination. Nice work. I like the use of color.

I was going for a more early 1900’s scricpt but I can see the baseball theme connection too.

Maybe the Aurora Star $2 as a THC replacement for the GC $5? Not exactly the same color scheme but kind of the same tones.

Thinking about a $25 now. Anybody have thoughts on these? I'm not convinced green is the way to go.

I'd thought about using the charcoal chip in my other mockups as the $25. Not sure I want to go full black. But I sort of want to have a $100 eventually, so trying not to get in the way of that.

Purple something?
I do love purple chips. Not sure how to make it fit with the theme, though. The edge spots would need to tie in really well, I think.

You guys think green's not right, then? I sort of like the Empress with the yellow spots.

This is the tentative plan right now. I'm hoping the Empress spots pick out the other colors in the set well. Anybody have one they want to sell me?

Tried to recreate the chips above in the CPC tool so I could see what the stacks would look like next to each other. Not sure I learned much, but it was fun. Used color-matched inlays on the backs of each chip for comparison -- the final product will have the same label on both sides of the chips.

Here's a share link if anyone wants to mess around: http://pokerchipdesigntool.com/?imp_sets=MZGI1Lt9

Updated the list of possible breakdowns. Instead of 500, I'm shooting for a 600 count set now to completely fill the smallest birdcage size. Here's the projected breakdown:

DenomCountBank
$ 0.05 - $ -
$ 0.25 160 $ 40.00
$ 1.00 200 $ 200.00
$ 5.00 140 $ 700.00
$ 25.00 80 $ 2,000.00
$ 100.00 20 $ 2,000.00
Total 600 $ 4,940.00

I'm interested to hear everyone's feedback on this. I'm sure most will suggest more fives and fewer quarters, but I'm not sold yet. My group has traditionally played 0.05/0.10, but I wanted to eliminate the nickel, so I'm instead targeting a 0.25/0.25 game. My guess is that the game will still play smallish, with most preflop bets being ~$0.75, meaning that each player will need more quarters than are usually required by a 0.25/0.50 game. I expect the dollar to be the chip that sees the most heavy usage. Further, I probably don't need 80 $25s, nor any $100s at all, but I wanted to put a five-chip set together, so I think a barrel is plenty.

I'll also buy an extra barrel of each denomination in order to offer sample sets or to have extras.

If you think this is what works for you, then it's fine. If the $25 and $100 are more for decoration, why not drop the $25's to 40 and use the other 40 somewhere else that better utilized?

I like the idea of more $5s. I also like the $20 instead of the $25 in a breakdown like yours. If you haven’t considered it, it works nicely for rebuys and cashouts as most people use $20 bills to buy in and easier to cash $20s too

$1 and $5 will be your workhorse chips in 0.25/0.50 or slightly higher cash stakes. Your question will be: how easy would it be to add on to my $1s and $5s in the future if I needed more? Thankfully, with HS Cleveland $1s and Garden City $5s, the answer is probably "fairly easy". It is probably less so with Empress $25s and Ambassador $100s.

I like the idea of more $5s. I also like the $20 instead of the $25 in a breakdown like yours. If you haven’t considered it, it works nicely for rebuys and cashouts as most people use $20 bills to buy in and easier to cash $20s too
I'm leaning toward $20 instead of $25, also. Just haven't mocked up the new label yet. Glad to hear others are on board!

$1 and $5 will be your workhorse chips in 0.25/0.50 or slightly higher cash stakes. Your question will be: how easy would it be to add on to my $1s and $5s in the future if I needed more? Thankfully, with HS Cleveland $1s and Garden City $5s, the answer is probably "fairly easy". It is probably less so with Empress $25s and Ambassador $100s.
Good points, all.

Printed out a couple labels to see them in person. The text is too small, in general. Next iteration, I think I’ll remove the ring of sage and use a smaller icon instead, leaving more room for the text.

Attachments

• 25D1C4DE-F57A-42A4-B6FE-494533F4C25B.jpeg
    25D1C4DE-F57A-42A4-B6FE-494533F4C25B.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 267
  • 371586CD-BEAB-4012-85F1-ACB3845AE6C4.jpeg
    371586CD-BEAB-4012-85F1-ACB3845AE6C4.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 260

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom