Hi, Steaks: the Official PCF Steak Thread (1 Viewer)

I am trying a dry brining method with the New York strip steaks today..
PXL_20240307_105107199.jpg

Pardon the crappy pic, but I was very happy with the tenderloin we had for Sunday dinner. Souse vide at 53 degrees (127.4 freedomheits) for about 2 hours.

I managed to both get it my preferred redness from edge to edge and get a great crust!

20240424_101607.jpg

When I grill or use a frying pan I always get a great crust but the "well done area" are around the edges gets too thick. When I sous vide, I get edge to edge redness but I don't get the crust I like.

I have lately become better at getting the best of both worlds when using sous vide. I've started to cool down the pouch in cold water before opening it, and then let it sit a while in paper towels. Whenever the paper gets soaked I replace it.

It'll then cool down and get a dry surface (which is very important if you want a good crust!) while I prepare everything else.

Since it has cooled down a bit, I can seer it more thoroughly getting a good crust while not getting a thick well done edge.

Works for me at least :) YMMV

I rarely go out for steaks. Since Saturday is such a big day for us. We decided to go out and get whatever we want.

I will be getting a steak. I would love the tomahawk steak, but not at $80 bucks. I can make a pretty good one. I am leaning towards the Ribeye or the NY Strip.

If you were going, what steak would you get?

https://www.lyongrill.com/data/uploads/menu-pdf/lyon-grill-menu.pdf

I rarely go out for steaks. Since Saturday is such a big day for us. We decided to go out and get whatever we want.

I will be getting a steak. I would love the tomahawk steak, but not at $80 bucks. I can make a pretty good one. I am leaning towards the Ribeye or the NY Strip.

Life's too short not to get what you want, brother; order the tomahawk — if not just to see how it stacks up to yours.

Was in Park City a few weeks back. Ordered a $225 tomahawk steak (with marrow butter). It actually fed five people (three adults, two teens) with the addition of two appetizers plus a couple of side dishes. Not sure any one steak is worth $225 plus tax and tip, but it didn’t disappoint at all. (With a bottle of wine, $500 out the door for dinner.)

$80 is a deal!

Beware of Park City, way upscale these days.

IMG_6348.jpeg

I would share the tomahawk ribeye.

That's what I did last time I went out. Really wanted the tomahawk but it was too much for just me so shared with the table.

Well worth it and was amazing

I am leaning towards the Ribeye or the NY Strip

$39 ribeye is easy if not wanting to share the tomahawk

But get the tomahawk dude

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom