Here goes nothing... Go easy on me! (1 Viewer)

calfdemon

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, just like everyone else that has stumbled on to this site for some other reason and next thing you know, you are spending a ton of money on chips, hot dog rollers, poker mats, and God knows what else, I have purchased various Paulsons for a cash game set and a tourney set. I am working with a designer on the forum on the cash set and we will see how that goes, but in the meantime, I decided that I would try and give the tourney set a go by myself. Now, I have been using Photoshop for years, but I have had zero experience with Illustrator and every time I tried in the past, I felt like someone in a foreign country with no language skills. But with the help of many You Tube videos and a good deal of swearing, I think I have a basic feel for it now.

Here is the basic story for why my Tourney set will be the way it is. I live on a street called Wakefield Court, which is a double cul-de-sac of 41 houses in Southern California. We have a really good poker group on the street and can get a game of 8 to 16 players together on pretty much any weekend. The thing with this street is that it is kinda famous in LA County as it transforms into Wakefield Winter Wonderland (google it) in December and we pretty much have thousands and thousands of visitors, both on foot and in cars, every single night. Yeah, we do a LOT of work in November. We also have a fun little Eastside vs. Westside ribbing in our group, so I had to throw Wakefield East on the chips...

Anyway, my cash game set (which will get the most play) will have nothing to do with Christmas. But I figured I would make a fun Christmas set as my T25 tourney set using various themes from the street in December.

So here are the chips I have acquired for my T25 tourney set. They have not been murdered yet, or washed. So please excuse the hooker juice. That will get taken care of once the inlays are removed. All of the inlays will be removed except on the HSI 1's since it has a 7/8 inlay even though it is an RHC. I will overlabel those since they are bounty chips anyway. Not worried about spinners with that use. All of the chips are RHC except the light blue chips on the right. The Boulder Station 1's are THC and for that chip, I decide to do a front and a back since I have less room to work with. All of the other chips (except the seating chips) will have the same thing on each side.

I tried to acquire "Christmassy" looking chips that fit the themes I had in mind. I think I nailed it.

Tourney set.jpg

Please forgive my non-traditional colors for denominations, but I took some liberties based on numbers of chips I had and what I needed for each. Here is the art that I came up with for the labels. I tried to incorporate the colors of the markings on the chips the best I could.

The Seating Chips will be the black and white chips in the upper left. The front of each chip will obviously be the same and then the backs have the numbers from 1-10 in both blue and red for 2 table tournaments. Obviously the watermarks will not be on the chips... lol

Seating Chip front.jpg
Seating chip Back blue 1.jpg
Seating chip Back red 8.jpg

I am using the HSI purples for the bounty chip and incorporated the markings into the scope...

Bounty Chip.jpg

So now we get to the actual tournament chips... At Christmas, my house decor is all Grinch and Whooville. So figured I would start with mine on the 25 chips. The Jack Cinci 25s will be used for these...

25 Chip.jpg

My buddy across the street does Nightmare Before Christmas so Jack had to make an appearance. The 100 Majestic Star chips worked perfectly for this...

100 Chip.jpg

Cant have Christmas without a Santa... The Terrible's $5 chips are being used for the 500s

500 chip.jpg

And what is Christmas without A Christmas Story. The pink BestBet $2 chips will be used as the 1000s

1000 Chip.jpg

Finally, we get down to the 5000 chip. I originally was going to use the pink at the 5000 and the light blue as the 1000, but decided to use the THC as the last chip since it will be a 2 sided chip. Just seemed to cap off the set better that way. I may rethink this chip, but this is how I have it for now.

Chip 5000 front.jpg
5000 chip back.jpg

I went ahead and printed them to size on paper and mocked up a set of the chips to see how they look. They will obviously need some color adjustment to match the chips better, but hoping that is something that Gear can help me with once I get ready to print these. Here is how they looked mocked up...

Mock chips.jpg

So there it is... I am sure there are plenty of ideas and opinions, but keep in mind, this was my first time trying to figure out Illustrator, so overall, I am pretty happy with what I did. There are a couple of things I might change before it goes to print, and I am curious to hear any ideas or critiques as well.

Thanks!!

These look amazing, and if I were in SoCal, I’d be hitting you up for a Christmas tourney. Kudos!

Thanks... And if I lived anywhere else, I wouldn't have made a set like this because it would only be relevant one month out of the year. On this street, we will rock this tourney set in the middle of July if need be. Won't make a difference on this street. lol

Made a quick fix to the 25 chip as I noticed I missed a couple of spots around Grinch's hat. I also worked on the seating chip a little as I did not like the way the text was on the back. That was the first chip I worked on and I learned as I went. Doesn't hurt to go back and redo the first chips once you have a better understanding of Illustrator. I am going to redo the front of the seating chip as well, but probably just to match the new font on the rear. And I am still brainstorming over the 5000 chip. I think I am pretty much final on the others, other than the obvious color matching.

25 Chip.jpg
Seating chip Back blue 10.jpg

Looking cool. Id say switch grinch and Santa. Make their background the color of the chip. Will still get contrast and will look much less awkward. Everything else looks good imo :)

Looking cool. Id say switch grinch and Santa. Make their background the color of the chip. Will still get contrast and will look much less awkward. Everything else looks good imo :)
I actually had the background the same color as the chip on both of those and it looked too plain. Especially the Grinch chip. I switched it up to what it is now and actually like the Grinch chip a lot more this way. The Santa chip, not as much... Now you have my wheels turning on that chip as well.. lol. Let me see what I can come up with. But having the background the same as the chip was too overwhelming (for me anyway). I appreciate the suggestions! Just for fun, I will show you what I had for the Grinch chip initially... It was okay until I mocked up the chip. That was when I saw that it needed to be switched.

25 Chip v1.jpg

And modified Santa one more time... Did the mockup side by side. I think the new red version is better. Thanks for the suggestion Ethan!! Not sure why I said I had both versions done prior. I did not try this version of Santa previously because I did not like the all green version of the 25 chip. Ive been working on so many versions of each chip, I can't keep them straight. But it seems to work with the red and I think its a big improvement.

500 chip v3.jpg

500 chip V3 mockup.jpg

Ok, taking it to vote... I mocked the original back up to the one I had decide on, and looking at it with new eyes, I think it might be okay? Maybe if the green was better color matched it would look better to me. But what does everyone think? Green or purple background?

25 chip.jpg

Ok, taking it to vote... I mocked the original back up to the one I had decide on, and looking at it with new eyes, I think it might be okay? Maybe if the green was better color matched it would look better to me. But what does everyone think? Green or purple background?

View attachment 981356
What about a dark green? Maybe give it come contrast from the chip?

Kicka$$ job dude!!!!! Love her theme and the colors. Nice job! Would take a sample
Set of you will sell them :)

When all said done, I will have a enough left over for some sample sets, although, the 100's are going to be cutting it very close. As of now, my overages look like this:

Bounty chips - 70
Seating chips - 60
25s - 150
100s - 10
500's - 30
1000's - 140
5000's - 115

So I would be able to make about 10 full sets unless I can acquire more of the MS 100's. Then I could realistically make about 30 sample sets available if needed. I might buy some more just to make the sample sets available. Let me talk to my source! ;)

Last edited:
What about a dark green? Maybe give it come contrast from the chip?
While it was a bit darker on the computer, not so much on paper. But still, I think it looks better than the lighter green. I did a mock-up with the darker on on the far right. I am thinking the all green but a bit darker is the ticket.

25.jpg

Man do these chips need a bath!!

I like the left one, i'm a sucker for thin rings around the edge
I still like that one too, as I thought it was my final design.. lol. But others seem to like the all green and I can see something nice in those as well. I will have to think about this one. I do like the red Santa chip better though.

Oh Crap!! I just realized that I am going to have to make a dealer button for this set! You would think that it should be Santa, but I already have him on a chip. Now I need to think... Ideas anyone?

I still like that one too, as I thought it was my final design.. lol. But others seem to like the all green and I can see something nice in those as well. I will have to think about this one. I do like the red Santa chip better though.
I dunno the left one seems to compliment the edgespots well

What if you kept the purple/orange back drop and green outer ring on the left inlay and changed the font color so it stood out a bit more?

What if you kept the purple/orange back drop and green outer ring on the left inlay and changed the font color so it stood out a bit more?
So you are suggesting one of these variations?

25 Chip v4.jpg
25 Chip v5.jpg

I lean more towards the one on the right out of those 2.. I like the denom being a different color than the words, and there is no problem reading the denom due to its size.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom