Help Identifying this set? (1 Viewer)

expat2000

Reaction score
My grandfather, who died in the early 1990s, was a life-long poker player from Texas. When he died, he left me this set of poker chips and it has been gathering dust on a shelf ever since. I have done a little homework and the chips (there are 200 in total) appear to be ivory. Might anyone here be able to tell me anything more about them? Any idea what era they might be from? I recall him telling me that they were his father's. TIA.

IMG_20171121_111031.jpg IMG_20171121_111251.jpg

Just knowing what scrimshaw sells for, I can’t imagine what those are worth.

Definitely ivory. As long as the ivory can be shown to be older than a certain date, you are free to trade and sell it as you see fit. I have seen some eBay auctions for clearly ivory chips, but the word ivory is nowhere in the title or description. That is the extent of my knowledge.

http://www.antiquegamblingchips.com/ivoryWichita.htm

Looks like they go for $50 to $80 per chip.

That's them! thanks so much. I guess I have something special here. All 200 of them are in pretty good shape. No damage at all. Grandpa took care of them.

Any idea what era they are from? I have visions of guys sitting around a saloon in Texas in the 1870s with six shooters on their belts playing with them, which would be pretty cool. But maybe they are more recent?

Will be interesting to observe how the discovery of 200 more of these chips in existence will affect the market, especially those specific chips considered 'somewhat rare' -- it usually sends selling prices crashing down after the initial giddiness of the find itself wears off.

Better not to post here then next time we find 200+ rare poker chips :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom