Not making this CPC set yet. Any thoughts on chip design? (1 Viewer)

Eriks

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Tl;dr: Picture of chip designs at the bottom, if you have suggestions, please share.

I was gonna do this set on the next run and had sold a couple of sets to raise funds. Unfortunately, the money ended up being needed elsewhere and the project is now put on hold. I am 100 percent satisfied with the set but I figured I might as well use this extra time to take a step back and invite some additional opinions. Perspective is always nice. Maybe it’ll motivate me to scrape funds together faster or just scrap the whole idea. We’ll see.

Some words on the theme and inlay: I did my other CPC set based on a place on the US west coast the then future wife and I discovered during an amazing road trip we did together in 2005 - Carmel.

However, Stockholm is where I was born and longterm the only place I wanna live, so it’s really the most fitting theme for me. Last time, though, I couldn’t come up with a good name. I definitely wanted something else than the ”Stockholm poker room” type names.

As you may or may not know, Stockholm is built on a bunch of islands (stock=lumber, holm=island) and depending on how one counts, the inner parts of the city rests on 13, 14 or 15 of them. I recently found out that Stockholm is sometimes marketed as the city of fourteen islands. I thought ”Fourteen Islands” had a nice ring to it and that it would serve as a more subtle reference to the place. I worked with @mattross1313 on the inlays, which was an absolute delight. He is awesome! The inlays are set unless someone suggests something too good to ignore.

The mold: Sweden is a monarchy and the currency is Krona = crown. That combined with the fact that it looks and feels awesome, the large crown mold is the obvious choice. I’m too chicken to put the ”kr” currency symbol on there though as I believe Sweden will join the Euro sooner or later. I’ll just need to add some fracs in that case. Am I being an idiot? I like the design with ”kr” more and no one knows if we’ll actually join.

The chip design: I am a huge fan of 1/4 pies and my absolute dream set is the BCC Riverboat cash set. I have come to terms with the fact that it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever own one, so making the second best thing feels like a no brainer. With the Riverboat all 1/4 pies as an inspiration, and trying to tiptoe around the fact that I’m not the first one here to be blessed with this idea, this is what I have come up with. Hopefully, @JP1984 was honest with me when he told me he didn’t mind ;). Also I could not have gotten this far without the many many design discussions I’ve had with, mainly, Angelo @OfficerLovejoy Thank you!

I’m well aware the color theme doesn’t exactly scream Sweden/Stockholm but I don’t care. I like bright colors and I cannot lie.

IMG_9212.png

(Naturally, I also need a 14-special chip)

IMG_9213.png

With the ”kr” (and some slight spot color differencies)

IMG_9005.png

Finally revealed ;)
I love what you did here :love:
too sad that you (and us) have to wait longer than expected to see the final result.

Last edited:
Love the mold and love quarterpies. one does run out of colour combos especially when trying to keep traditional colours and have combos that work.

id go a third colour on the 1 also to keep it consistant with the set excluding the 14 chip.

Also given that canary/dg saturn have green hues in them i think they would work well instead of dg yellow if you wanted something different

Last edited:
Love the mold and love quarterpies. one does run out of colour combos especially when trying to keep traditional colours and have combos that work.

id go a third colour on the 1 also to keep it consistant with the set excluding the 14 chip.

Also given that canary/dg saturn have green hues in them i think they would work well instead of dg yellow if you wanted something different
Thanks! Everything will be considered. I will have plenty of time to test new color combinations

Sorry to hear about the delay! Love these, can’t wait to see how they come out when they’re finally made :tup:

Love the big denom and the way the illustration tucks into the space between title and denom. The 25 colors are fantastic.

For the inlay, I'd move Fourteen Islands and Stockholm closer to the edge to give a little more whitespace to the illustration.

I would make the 500 more vibrant to match the others.

The inlays on the lcrown is smooth, so the smaller stuff should should up better, but I wonder if the islands will be clear enough.

Even with the 1/4 pie, it’s clear what value each chip is. Nicely done.

The brown on the 500 is the only color combo that gives me pause. I’d have to see what it looks like in person to give a final judgement. Not sure what I would do in its place, other than going with the obvious black-base.

Love the design, both of the inlay and the quarter pies! Great job!

I say stick with non-denom and order enough as a tourney set. That way, if and when Sweden joins Euro zone, you could either use it for Euro or convert to tournament, either base T1 or T5. And then of course you'll have to make another, completely new set for Euro cash play!

Oh, and I don't know if you're willing to shell out the money for this, but the 14 could make a cool workhorse for a limit set. KR 14 = $1.30. Course, then you'll have to make a couple barrels of 280 as value chips. Black and grey?

Oh, and I don't know if you're willing to shell out the money for this, but the 14 could make a cool workhorse for a limit set. KR 14 = $1.30. Course, then you'll have to make a couple barrels of 280 as value chips. Black and grey?
Uh, I like the swedish limit set idea. :p

Oh and @warma I think that 500 is gonna be the star of the set.
IMG-20230802-WA0008.jpg

And if you're thinking: oh my, what beautiful hands you have @OfficerLovejoy !
Wrong!
Those beautiful fingers were forged in the cauldron of Scandinavia (sweden to be exact).

Last edited:
Actually, on second thought...I change my mind: add the KR denom. But still buy enough for a tourney conversion. It would add a nostalgia factor to the tourney set if Sweden loses its native currency.

The inlays on the lcrown is smooth, so the smaller stuff should should up better, but I wonder if the islands will be clear enough.
It’s not islands, it’s a city siluette. But I guess that answers the question :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Actually, on second thought...I change my mind: add the KR denom. But still buy enough for a tourney conversion. It would add a nostalgia factor to the tourney set if Sweden loses its native currency.
I like the idea but I can’t even afford the cash part of the set right now. Would have to invent some bigger denoms too; I will not play T1 or T5

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom