Help! Cards sliding under rail (Not railed rail) (1 Viewer)

maloviz

Pair
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up this table:
table1.jpg

Which seems to be a custom built table. The quality isn't amazing, but it's not terrible either.

It does have 1 massive problem though. The gap between the rail and the felt is very loose. I noticed this once I sat down at it and started pitching cards. Some of the cards would slide right under the rail with just a regular pitch. After checking around the table I'm sure it would be possible to accidentally pitch cards under the rail completely, especially if they glided in sideways.
Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about:
card1.jpg
card2.jpg

Has anyone had this problem before? What is the best/easiest solution?
Would it be effective to just shove something underneath the rail all around the table like a piece of cardboard, a foam mat, or something else?
Should I use some sort of glue to connect the 2 better?
This wouldn't be such a problem if the opening didn't go so far back. Especially on the rounded parts of the table it would be very easy to lose a card under it and not be able to stick your fingers in the tiny gap. In fact it might be nice to use with those slide under cup holders so I might not want to remove it completely. But in it's current state the ease of losing cards is really bad.

I plan on using this table in a few days so I need some help with this, I know there are lots of good table builders on this forum so I was hoping someone would have some input.

Yesterday I picked up this table:
View attachment 1232434
Which seems to be a custom built table. The quality isn't amazing, but it's not terrible either.

It does have 1 massive problem though. The gap between the rail and the felt is very loose. I noticed this once I sat down at it and started pitching cards. Some of the cards would slide right under the rail with just a regular pitch. After checking around the table I'm sure it would be possible to accidentally pitch cards under the rail completely, especially if they glided in sideways.
Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about:
View attachment 1232439View attachment 1232440

Has anyone had this problem before? What is the best/easiest solution?
Would it be effective to just shove something underneath the rail all around the table like a piece of cardboard, a foam mat, or something else?
Should I use some sort of glue to connect the 2 better?
This wouldn't be such a problem if the opening didn't go so far back. Especially on the rounded parts of the table it would be very easy to lose a card under it and not be able to stick your fingers in the tiny gap. In fact it might be nice to use with those slide under cup holders so I might not want to remove it completely. But in it's current state the ease of losing cards is really bad.

I plan on using this table in a few days so I need some help with this, I know there are lots of good table builders on this forum so I was hoping someone would have some input.
I would try weather stripping. Find a soft foam type. Get one that's thin like 1/4 inch and just run it around just under the lip so its hidden and clean. That should fix this issue but I'm just guessing. Good luck.

I would try weather stripping. Find a soft foam type. Get one that's thin like 1/4 inch and just run it around just under the lip so its hidden and clean. That should fix this issue but I'm just guessing. Good luck.
++1 this^^^^

I've used this trick and it works like a charm; and nobody will notice. Just be sure to get black and not white weather stripping. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Also test it without adhesive. If it sits fine without the need to tack it or glue it then it's done. Less mess and you can always remove it if it fails to do the job.
I knew coming to this forum would be a good call. Smart, I'll definitely give this a shot. Way better than my original idea of using card board, or cutting up a foam mat lol

Also, if you decide to refelt the table, you can fix the problem by installing a new pad under the felt.
  • Remove table rail, felt, and under pad.
  • Lay new under pad on table.
  • Place rail back on table (no felt yet).
  • Draw a line on the pad that goes just past the inner edge of the rail.
  • Cut pad.
  • Glue down pad and intall felt (search videos available on PCF).
  • Reinstall rail.
Now the table playing area will rest slightly higher than the crack where cards used to slide under the rail.

My guess is that the builder either

1. Put padding on the entire table, including under the rail.

Or 2, used crap or no padding.

Good luck!!

You want something called backer rod. It's basically a cheap foam rope used as backer for caulking large gaps. Comes in different diameters and often sold by the foot.

Joann's Fabrics (or similar) sells decorative rope, run that around the inner perimeter and tuck it into that gap. Quick, cheap & easy fix that looks nice.

You might find that once a table full of people are actually leaning on the rail, there’s no more problem.

Check under the table to see if they used bolts to attach the rail. If they did, you can try tightening them until it sucks up the gap. Just keep checking to make sure the bolt (or screw) isn't intruding into the topside of the rail. Even if it doesn't go all the way through, a bolt nestling into your forearm as you go all in might give you a different kind of poker face

Can you add screws to the underside of the table to "suck" down the rail to the playing surface? Install the screws closer to the inside edge of the rail to bring down the inner edge lower to the table.

Forgot to update this thread. I ended up doing what the first people suggested and used expanding weatherstripping I got from Lowes to put on the rail next to the edge.

I ended up taking off the rail the table and attaching the stripping carefully, then reattaching the rail.

Can't see anything at all and cards bounce right off it. Thanks for the suggestions everyone

I didn't take great pictures, but here they are anyways:
1000001186.jpg
1000001185.jpg
1000001187.jpg
after:
1000001237.jpg

Forgot to update this thread. I ended up doing what the first people suggested and used expanding weatherstripping I got from Lowes to put on the rail next to the edge.

I ended up taking off the rail the table and attaching the stripping carefully, then reattaching the rail.

Can't see anything at all and cards bounce right off it. Thanks for the suggestions everyone

I didn't take great pictures, but here they are anyways:
View attachment 1242751after:
Ah, so was due to thickness of vinyl wrapped all way down to the recess the table fits in/on?

Ah, so was due to thickness of vinyl wrapped all way down to the recess the table fits in/on?
Not exactly. Those photos don't really show the problem well. There was a good 3/8" of space between the table and the material on the rail.

It think the actual problem comes from how the wood for the rail is shaped against the table. The rail actually wraps around the wood for the table instead of just sitting on top. Here's a photo that shows that:

1000001188.jpg

Yep. That’s the fix. About to start another build I’ve determined there are ways in the building process to eliminate this but you’ll just pop the rail and run the weather stripping.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom