Have Chinese cards mold replica sets gone too far? (8 Viewers)

How did you read what I wrote and come to that response?

I never said it's OK to rip something off. But look at it another way: most people around here are going to immediately know the difference. So if a person tries to pass them off as the real thing, it's going to immediately apparent.

Now if someone is trying to sell them and misrepresenting them as the real thing - that's fraud. But I don't that's the point of this discussion, is it?
We have had a few people compare replica chips to watches, art, and a few other things. Those are good comparisons, but in my head classic cars is a better comparison.

Classic cars are expensive. Some people collect replicas of classic cars. Anyone who knows classic cars knows it is a replica. Most people on the street would think it is a cool real classic car. It doesn't hurt the classic car market. It doesn't hurt the original manufacturer. Custom "classic" cars are cool. But replicas are cool too. It just provides an opportunity for a car lover to have something that looks like the original.

I buy the CCs because I want to replicate a certain feel for my poker players. There is no way I'm dropping $5,000-$14,000 for a set of real chips unless they were for investment purposes only. Most of us don't even felt the mint conditions THC's, I know I don't. So with that said, I think most of us are buying the CCs to actual felt them in our home games and to have some fun. I really don't think any of the CC buyers will resell them and claim they are "real" THC or whatever chips.

• A Van Gogh is a bad comparison because his work isn’t covered by copyright.
  • Real Van Goghs are not available on eBay, so I’m never going to mistakenly think I’m buying the real thing.
  • Artwork on chips is covered by copyright, and there are many available on affordable marketplaces where mixups could occur.
  • If you wouldn’t rip off a home CPC designer why rip off the Aria designer, for example? Still a person, who made original artwork.
  • “Personal use” is one facet of the copyright fair use exemption, but it’s not a blanket OK to steal things for personal use. Someone still owns that intellectual property and copyright and should be in control of who uses it and how much they’re compensated for it.

Anybody remember when that guy made Game of Thrones chips? He actually contacted George R R Martin and got his permission to make a set of chips. I think he got his permission for a group buy too, right?
That’s how things were when I first came to this forum. People respected the rights and property of others. And if they didn’t, they certainly didn’t flaunt it all over the forum. But it’s been like a complete 180 in just a few short years.

When I was a young lad in the nineties making a buck landscaping, a fellow from NYC told me "the problem with this country is everybody knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

Ohh boy... angry Ben Book time! Lol

Cards Molds suck, I warned everyone as they get used the surface texture wears down... dingos on here said "can we get another creditable sorce on this" how about I own more chips than most of you will dream of... that's a sorce!

I don't come on here and share my opinions to spread bull sh*t and gossip, I am a 100% honest stand up dude. That Sh*t really pissed me off when all I was trying to do is warn people before they fill their cabinets with junk!

Sure $.40 a chip sounds attractive, $1 is definitely more expensive and an investment... but if the $.40 × say 600... that's $240 down the drain and 100% honestly I would rather have $.16 slugged plastics like Monte Carlos off eBay then be forced to play that slippery junk again.

Again non chippers got mad at me and asked "why do we have to play the Shi**y chips, we play those for bar night and they suck!" Did I mention those were the heated opinions thrown at me by NON chippers the night I asked to play a fellow chippers cards mold set.

This was my post after that game in the thread "have I been priced out of the hobby" post #34 if you care
I'm just waiting for others to figure out what happens to Cards Molds as they "break in"... it's not pretty. Ut there is another option in the works, they are amazing! I hope some thinking of putting in large orders for cards molds wait and see the new hybrids.

@upNdown , we have the China ceramic Scrub Donkey chips that were about $.25 I think, cards molds at like $.35, the new chips are just over $.40 (but in large quantities) , when I got in on the BrPro ceramic Mario chips they were $.70 which sounds like a lot more... but you are correct, the quality is so much better on those, well worth the extra money! Well I say that until the new ones get made and then we will see!

Wait till these cards molds sets get 25 - 30 uses on them... you fart and they fall all over the place, spin like saucers! We own one set and it is dead mint unused. They are fantastic when new, but try to work them into a rotation If possible. That texture wears down pretty quick!

As far as the copies, absolutely I 100% agree it has been taken way too far. But I own a set of the Taj Mahal fakes (they are not Tributes... just flat out fakes), have never played them but I do own them... wouldn't it be hypocritical to say I am 100% against this since I own a set?

We recently got a sample set of Bellagio chips they are NOT cards molds, a printed ceramic made to look Identical to the real thing, even Tommy complimented on getting the fake glitter effect and making them look real!

I feel for the folks that spent Fortunes and years dedicated to building original sets like @41Pickup who literally spent years to build one rack of Tropicana Series 1 Scrown TRKs... it would take probably a good designer what 1 hour to design a fake exact replica?

So Devils advocate here... you host a meet up years later, someone says "ohh my buddy has those, we play them all the time, actually they suck! They are slippery as hell!" Is it that guys fault for not knowing about the originals?

Anyone taking count of the old school collectors who have all but vanished with the "real" original chips. The OG chippers who have all but faded out? How is anyone going to Even know about the originals and what it took to find them if you guys just keep creating fakes and pissing those people off and driving them away from the hobby.

Believe me, I speak with many of the veterans regularly, almost all of them say the exact same thing "I am done woth chipping but stick around for meet ups and friends"

Sure water it down, water it down... it's good for everyone, everyone wins here. Soon you have nothing hut a hobby of JUNK! Foakleys, frolexes, furberry ... yes this crap happens all the time, but that doesn't mean we have to accept it. If you can't afford a real Rolex, change your life and find a way if it's that important to you!

Can't afford $15 Paulsons but put others down for paying the going rate, calling them idiots for not only wanting but making other sacrifices in life to make that happen. Again we are NOT all doctors and lawyers in this hobby. I'm a construction worker making $105k a year... how could I possibly have more than a years salary (pre taxed) invested in poker chips in just 3.5 years... that's insane! Well again SACRIFICES

I was honestly ok with it at first, a few of the design were ehh... OK. But then BTP, I understand a designer here made that, but other people paid for that design, tons of those chips were made and are even available now on the forum... cheap... no... but real!

What about the folks that paid $12 - $15 a chip because that was their dream set, made those really hard sacrifices and then people come along and make knock offs for $.40... this is awesome for the community! Everyone can have them now! Really?

Don't even get me started on copying IOC chips, seriously a recent chip room release? RHCs... there is nothing rare about those chips, they can still be found. Quicker, easier, cheaper... I mean sh*t why not get Amazon to carry them so you can just click them into your basket and use prime for free shipping.. get em tomorrow by a drone.

There was pride in this hobby, pride and dreams for "Grail Quest" building the impossible... now you can just sit back and wait for your dream set to come to you, just fill in your quantities and wait!

But you will NEVER know what it is like to add the 100th chip to a rack you spent 3 years looking everywhere and busting your ass to find! You will NEVER understand or grasp that level of satisfaction.

This crap is absolutely ruining what used to be a fun and exciting hobby!

You guys saying a couple hours on here you will know the difference... what happens when we run off all the people that love the originals and post about them and keep the info relavant.. what happens when that fades to the back pages and gets difficult to locate.

Original designs on Card Molds because of your budget! Bad ass Bro, congratulations,I hope they serve you well!

Direct copies made for people that can't pay a designer $5 to put a toilet and thumbs up poop emoji, or home town symbol on a chip and a denomination... you folks are ruining what used to be awesome... but what's new in this world.

Last edited:
And when they offer the THC mold?

The issue of knowing the difference is clear to anyone that spends 1 hour on this site, but the general public would have no clue. Mothers, Sisters, Grandparents buying xmas gifts aren't going to know the difference.

Tina's chips come with a heavy cost, at least to some. The China connection has no respect for your designs, and no respect for your IP. I've spent $1000s on original artwork and while my brand isn't valued like Aria, it still means something to me. I wouldn't use the China connection for anything I didn't care to see given to others.

The hybrid chips seem to be of a quality, but I will limit my investment. I prefer to purchase a know quality and do business with a company that will respect my security.
I don't think anyone's grandma is buying xmas gifts on PCF :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

... but I also stated above that when she does offer H&C chips, if they are too close to Paulsons, that would be very bad. As far as giving away your IP to China, I agree with you. If I created custom artwork that I didn't want to see end up on Alibaba, I wouldn't deal with Tina.

But this post was whether we have a problem with CM chips in general, which I don't.

Cards Molds suck, I warned everyone as they get used the surface texture wears down... dingos on here said "can we get another creditable sorce on this" how about I own more chips than most of you will dream of... that's a sorce!

I don't come on here and share my opinions to spread bull sh*t and gossip, I am a 100% honest stand up dude. That Sh*t really pissed me off when all I was trying to do is warn people before they fill their cabinets with junk!

Sure $.40 a chip sounds attractive, $1 is definitely more expensive and an investment... but if the $.40 × say 600... that's $240 down the drain and 100% honestly I would rather have $.16 slugged plastics like Monte Carlos off eBay then be forced to play that slippery junk again.

Again non chippers got mad at me and asked "why do we have to play the Shi**y chips, we play those for bar night and they suck!" Did I mention those were the heated opinions thrown at me by NON chippers the night I asked to play a fellow chippers cards mold set.

This was my post after that game in the thread "have I been priced out of the hobby" post #34 if you care

As far as the copies, absolutely I 100% agree it has been taken way too far. But I own a set of the Taj Mahal fakes (they are not Tributes... just flat out fakes), have never played them but I do own them... wouldn't it be hypocritical to say I am 100% against this since I own a set?

We recently got a sample set of Bellagio chips they are NOT cards molds, a printed ceramic made to look Identical to the real thing,even Tommy complimented on getting the fake glitter effect and making them look real!

I feel for the folks that spent Fortunes and years dedicated to building original sets like @41Pickup who literally spent years to build one rack of Tropicana Series 1 Scrown TRKs... it would take probably a good designer what 1 hour to design a fake exact replica?

So Devils advocate here... you host a meet up years later, someone says "ohh my buddy has those, we play them all the time, actually they suck! They are slippery as hell!" Is it that guys fault for not knowing about the originals?

Anyone taking count of the old school collectors who have all but vanished with the "real" original chips. The OG chippers who have all but faded out? How is anyone going to Even know about the originals and what it took to find them if you guys just keep creating fakes and pissing those people off and driving them away from the hobby.

Believe me, I speak woth many of the veterans regularly, almost all of them say the exact same thing "I am done woth chipping but stick around for meet ups and friends"

Sure water it down, water it down... it's good for everyone, everyone wins here. Soon you have nothing hut a hobby of JUNK! Foakleys, frolexes, furberry ... yes this crap happens all the time, but that doesn't mean we have to accept it. If you can't afford a real Rolex, change your life and find a way if it's that important to you!

Can't afford $15 Paulsons but put others down for paying the going rate, calling them idiots for not only wanting but making other sacrifices in life to make that happen. Again we are NOT all doctors and lawyers in this hobby. I'm a construction worker making $105k a year... how could I possibly have more than a years salary (pre taxed) invested in poker chips in just 3.5 years... that's insane! Well again SACRIFICES

I was honestly ok with it at first, a few of the design were ehh... OK. But then BTP, I understand a designer here made that, but other people paid for that design, tons of those chips were made and are even available now on the forum... cheap... no... but real!

What about the folks that paid $12 - $15 a chip because that was their dream set, made those really hard sacrifices and then people come along and make knock offs for $.40... this is awesome for the community! Everyone can have them now! Really?

Don't even get me started on copying IOC chips, seriously a recent chip room release? RHCs... there is nothing rare about those chips, they can still be found. Quicker, easier, cheaper... I mean sh*t why not get Amazon to carry them so you can just click them into your basket and use prime for free shipping.. get em tomorrow by a drone.

There was pride in this hobby, pride and dreams for "Grail Quest" building the impossible... now you can just sit back and wait for your dream set to come to you, just fill in your quantities and wait!

But you will NEVER know what it is like to add the 100th chip to a rack you spent 3 years looking everywhere and busting your ass to find! You will NEVER understand or grasp that level of satisfaction.

You guys saying a couple hours on here you will know the difference... what happens when we run off all the people that love the originals and post about them and keep the info relavant.. what happens when that fades to the back pages and gets difficult to locate.

Original designs on Card Molds because of your budget! Bad ass Bro, congratulations,I hope they serve you well!

Direct copies made for people that can't pay a designer $5 to put a toilet and thumbs up poop emoji, or home town symbol on a chip and a denomination... you folks are ruining what used to be awesome... but what's new in this world.
993718E3-AE55-4C28-82D2-457929B21706.png

My two cents ($0 value)….I want to own a playable set of GCGs. But, they are super valuable and it seems the vast majority of them are locked up in a cabinet somewhere. CM group buys made it possible for me to create a close enough copy….I like that, and respect all the other perspectives on this thread.

I mean at least the popular cards mold design has Aria’s instead of Aria…starting to wonder if this was intentional?

We recently got a sample set of Bellagio chips they are NOT cards molds, a printed ceramic made to look Identical to the real thing,even Tommy complimented on getting the fake glitter effect and making them look real!

Believe me, I speak woth many of the veterans regularly, almost all of them say the exact same thing "I am done woth chipping but stick around for meet ups and friends"

Anyone really interested in chipping will never stop to appreciate the epic sets collected for years, chip by chip, like the Tropicana set you mention.

Sets of cards mold chips are not taking away anything from that. The chip is completely different. It's not like I believe my NCC cards mold set is even remotely close to the epicness of @gopherblue's original set.

The cards molds are for different people. Mostly they are a great and flexible mid range chip which is enough for 99% of poker players. The completely bonkers nerds like you and myself will never be satisfied with just a set of cards molds. Its just that it's one more category to get a set in. We still want the higher end stuff if we can afford it, no matter how many tribute sets/fakes we see. In other words the cheap ceramics will not impact the collectors marked for the real, epic vintage sets.

What did people think was going to happen when chips that used to go for $1.50 each are now $6-10 per chip? The only way for some people to get a set of these is to get CC replicas.

If someone represents them as real in a transaction, they should know better and deserve to get called out publicly.

Other than that, I don’t see the big deal. If the copyright holders have a problem with it, they can pursue legal actions against the Chinese mfg (I think this is very unlikely to be attempted and even less likely to succeed, and any casino cage would be able to discern CC from Paulson pretty quickly IMO).

By the way I 100% agree this must be the most silly thing I've seen on PCF for a while as well.

Copying modern, not really special, chiproom offerings seems like the most wasted oppurtunity ever, considering the unlimited posiblilities with the cards molds. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: To each their own though, but I just find it pretty funny.

By the way I 100% agree this must be the most silly thing I've seen on PCF for a while as well.

Copying modern, not really special, chiproom offerings seems like the most wasted oppurtunity ever, considering the unlimited posiblilities with the cards molds. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: To each their own though, but I just find it pretty funny.
Playing devil's advocate here, but weren't the IoC fracs like stupid expensive and really hard to get? So, if you wanted a playable set with fracs, you were left to paying insane amounts of cash or making your own (which some people don't know how to do and others hate since they don't match the other chips).

So, if you fell into that bucket, maybe not really a wasted opportunity?

Playing devil's advocate here, but weren't the IoC fracs like stupid expensive and really hard to get? So, if you wanted a playable set with fracs, you were left to paying insane amounts of cash or making your own (which some people don't know how to do and others hate since they don't match the other chips).

So, if you fell into that bucket, maybe not really a wasted opportunity?
Well, if you honestly believe that design is the best out of pretty much ANY casino design ever then I guess go for it. Lol, considering how many of the cards molds sets are coming out, and how many designers make these designs for cheap, I just can't understand how anyone would chose that specific design for a cards mold set.

Well, if you honestly believe that design is the best out of pretty much ANY casino design ever then I guess go for it. Lol, considering how many of the cards molds sets are coming out, and how many designers make these designs for cheap, I just can't understand how anyone would chose that specific design for a cards mold set.
Hmmm ... well, someone must love the IoC chips because they sold out super fast in the original sale! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Looking back at them, the colors were pretty hot, great edge spots, nice faux shaped inlays, and a cool parrot ... certainly could do worse!

But I guess my devil's point was trying to be more generic; the reason people are going to after CM chips that copy TCR chips is because playable sets that need fracs / high denoms are still out of reach of most people. Look what happened with the IG chips; that was a really fun set - lots of fun colors and a nice inlay, but so many people got shut up. Maybe they just want a small set of IG CM chips because they really liked them, but don't feel like paying 8x TCR markup.

We recently got a sample set of Bellagio chips they are NOT cards molds, a printed ceramic made to look Identical to the real thing, even Tommy complimented on getting the fake glitter effect and making them look real!

Believe me, I speak with many of the veterans regularly, almost all of them say the exact same thing "I am done woth chipping but stick around for meet ups and friends"

Don’t hold back @Ben8257, Tell us how you really feel!

All I know is I should have been a construction worker.

Just kidding, well said :tup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom