Has anyone noticed this oddity playing poker ? (1 Viewer)

@rummeraises perhaps you are so superstitious that you subconsciously help to create these self fulfilling prophecies?

You expect to lose on 2 nights so you do. You expect to win on one night so you bring your best game and you do win.
Honestly, without sarcasm, I've done this to myself too many times. Walk in, know I've lost before, and start playing like someone who's gonna lose. Driving home I suddenly realize it was me.... It was always me...

“I’m at the lodge, I always do better here so I’m going to take chances I don’t normally”

“Oh shit, I’m not at the lodge, I always do crappy here so I better play super nit.”

Sound familiar?

lol, i literally laughed out loud at this. I :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

There are a half-dozen or more adjectives that could be used to describe you based on your 87 posts here so far, but 'objective' certainly isn't one of them. Sadly, though, I think you actually believe it to be true.

You can laugh all you wish . Ive seen the proof that luck does not equal out in poker, over the course of many years/ hands.
Its funny to sit back and watch assholes, who try and ridicule people , just because of varying opinions on subjects.

When I sit at a table, I can see who is the reckless gambler, who is the tight conservative, who will pull off a big bluff, etc.
I can also see players who make bad calls, chasing hands that should result in them being losing players yet that luck factor saves them . I also pickup on peoples tells very quickly.

You can laugh all you wish . Ive seen the proof that luck does not equal out in poker, over the course of many years/ hands.
Its funny to sit back and watch assholes, who try and ridicule people , just because of varying opinions on subjects.

When I sit at a table, I can see who is the reckless gambler, who is the tight conservative, who will pull off a big bluff, etc.
I can also see players who make bad calls, chasing hands that should result in them being losing players yet that luck factor saves them . I also pickup on peoples tells very quickly.
Guys. Quit being assholes.

“I’m at the lodge, I always do better here so I’m going to take chances I don’t normally”

“Oh shit, I’m not at the lodge, I always do crappy here so I better play super nit.”

Sound familiar?

Negative, my style of play remains mostly the same at all 3 local games.

I calculate odds, read players tells , and have a very strong memory. I have experienced the phenomena that at 1 location , cards seem to run better, then at another location, even when its with the same players, same rules, same stakes, etc.

Guys. Quit being assholes.
Seriously. Dessert, anyone?

814rr4qnSLL._SL1500_.jpg

Honestly, without sarcasm, I've done this to myself too many times. Walk in, know I've lost before, and start playing like someone who's gonna lose. Driving home I suddenly realize it was me.... It was always me...

It is definitely a real effect. If someone believes they are going to lose, they will.

@rummeraises perhaps you are so superstitious that you subconsciously help to create these self fulfilling prophecies?

You expect to lose on 2 nights so you do. You expect to win on one night so you bring your best game and you do win.

I agree that the mentality of it, can be a factor.

But there is no logical explanation other then " luck" or cheating , when it comes to the long win streak by a very weak local player that regularly misreads his own hands. The old man definitely does not cheat.

Have you considered that maybe certain players have an easier time cheating at the other two locations?

It is definitely a real effect. If someone believes they are going to lose, they will.

That totally, completely, absolutely, one-hundred percent just can't be it. I have it on very good authority that this guy calculates the odds, read players tells, and has a very strong memory. He's experienced this phenomena at just the one location, where the cards seem to run better, even when it's with the same players, same rules, same stakes, etc.

But there is no logical explanation other then " luck" or cheating , when it comes to the long win streak by a very weak local player that regularly misreads his own hands. The old man definitely does not cheat.
You left out one logical explanation, which you refuse to acknowledge -- the possibility that he isn't a very weak player at all. He could be lucky, cheating, or simply better than you give him credit for. Since there is no such thing as luck, I'm going with one of the last two, and since he's been doing it for a decade, he's highly skilled either way -- either at cheating, or at winning (while cleverly disguising his true strengths).

I have it on very good authority that this guy calculates the odds, read players tells, and has a very strong memory. He's experienced this phenomena at just the one location, where the cards seem to run better, even when it's with the same players, same rules, same stakes, etc.
Same cards, too. Only thing that hasn't been explored is the chips in play at each location. Could be a case of latent lead poisoning causing memory issues...

You left out one logical explanation, which you refuse to acknowledge -- the possibility that he isn't a very weak player at all. He could be lucky, cheating, or simply better than you give him credit for. Since there is no such thing as luck, I'm going with one of the last two, and since he's been doing it for a decade, he's highly skilled either way -- either at cheating, or at winning (while cleverly disguising his true strengths).
I’m starting to think this could be the case. I wonder if, when he “misreads” his hands, he turns them over, and verbally concedes the hand, while securely holding the cards in his hand until someone points out he caught the straight, or flush, or whatever. Or he acts like he thought he had it, but it only cost a few dollars to call and look like a stupid player.

Years ago, I played in a charity tournament with a guy who came across like a unaware drunk. I was still pretty inexperienced at the time, but after a couple orbits of the nice lady next to him telling him “it’s two reds, JC”, I started to catch in that it was a ruse. Later on, one of the locals familiar with JC confirmed that it was an act, and he knew exactly what he was doing.

I really think that Ancient Aliens are breeding a human who is “lucky” at poker so they can back him in the Universal Series of Poker and the Universal Poker Tours.
Them fuckers cheat like that all the time.

Negative, my style of play remains mostly the same at all 3 local games.

I calculate odds, read players tells , and have a very strong memory. I have experienced the phenomena that at 1 location , cards seem to run better, then at another location, even when its with the same players, same rules, same stakes, etc.
Then maybe it's all the other players that have the tendencies described. Maybe you just stay status quo but it's your mates that are changing up their game. Maybe, just maybe it's nothing more than random chance.

This is likely confirmation bias. It’s a well documented phenomenon. You are logging evidence to test this assumption mentally, which is tested and proven to not be accurate. Specifically, you will misestimate % of times you get “good cards” in each location to confirm your prior observations

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom