Guns you own (4 Viewers)

With all the weirdness going on right now, my wife is forcing me to buy a new gun... even weirderer.

Think I wan't a 10/22 with a suppressor, so many rabbits in my yard... or a pistol format AR. She wants something she can grab in case the SHTF. I know the 10/22 isn't going to knock anyone down, but with a 30 count mag, you could pepper your target enough to discourage it.

With all the weirdness going on right now, my wife is forcing me to buy a new gun... even weirderer.

Think I wan't a 10/22 with a suppressor, so many rabbits in my yard... or a pistol format AR. She wants something she can grab in case the SHTF. I know the 10/22 isn't going to knock anyone down, but with a 30 count mag, you could pepper your target enough to discourage it.

I just got a new threaded barrel for my 10/22 Take down. I already have the can which also fits on my Ruger sr22 pistols. Suppressed .22s are super fun. Literally pew pew pew. The bx25 mags from Ruger run really well even with crap ammo.

@JeepologyOffroad
IMG_20200620_121557.jpg

I'm kinda a 1911 fan....

Dan Wesson Valor! My dream 1911! Holy shit.

Nice collection of premium handguns right there. Wilson combat/Dan wesson or bust when it comes to 1911 imo, but seems like you already know that :tup:

tenor.gif
Silver is a Valor 9mm with a full workup, Black Valor is a 10mm stock.

Then there is a Wilson EDC9, Wilson Protector 9mm, Wilson Elite Tac Black Edition, and a Nighthawk T4.

Silver is a Valor 9mm with a full workup, Black Valor is a 10mm stock.

Then there is a Wilson EDC9, Wilson Protector 9mm, Wilson Elite Tac Black Edition, and a Nighthawk T4.
I'll take the silver 9mm please

Sadly I own no 1911s anymore. I had a Springfield TRP which is decent as far as budget 1911s go, but I didn't hang on to it for long. Figured I'd stay in glock poverty land until I'm ready to step up with a Dan Wesson.

I'll take the silver 9mm please

Sadly I own no 1911s anymore. I had a Springfield TRP which is decent as far as budget 1911s go, but I didn't hang on to it for long. Figured I'd stay in glock poverty land until I'm ready to step up with a Dan Wesson.
I grabbed that a few weeks ago. Too good of a deal. Brand new, non blem, 4 mags and a Wilson trigger job for 1k. (came with VZ Grips, and I tossed on the Wilson's.)

I just got a new threaded barrel for my 10/22 Take down. I already have the can which also fits on my Ruger sr22 pistols. Suppressed .22s are super fun. Literally pew pew pew. The bx25 mags from Ruger run really well even with crap ammo.
I ended up grabbing her an LCP22.... I thought she wanted a rifle, but after talking she wanted a small pistol for the kitchen... ho hum.

Considering one of these. How you like the weight? Hide-ability, etc.?

The standard P365 with the 10rd mag is my normal carry. It is probably the easiest firearm to conceal next to an LCP. The width with the double stack magazine is not much larger than a Glock 43 or any other single stack 3” barrel 9mm. It is a blast to shoot. It doesn’t feel like you are shooting a concealable firearm. It’s not snappy, and the grip is very comfortable.

I have both the standard and manual safety models. It’s a personal preference and I alternate between both depending on the situation.

Reactions: BNM

For clarity, I’m looking for a 1911 with a government 5” frame and in the sub $1K price range. Primarily for home defense and the range - not planning on carrying with it.

I’m aware that a couple of the 1911 drawbacks are mags (any suggestions?) and the extractor (anything to stay away from here or just keep it clean?).

For clarity, I’m looking for a 1911 with a government 5” frame and in the sub $1K price range. Primarily for home defense and the range - not planning on carrying with it.

I’m aware that a couple of the 1911 drawbacks are mags (any suggestions?) and the extractor (anything to stay away from here or just keep it clean?).

My 1911 is a Springfield Loaded Commander which it doesn't appear is made anymore, although there are other variations of the Loaded model.

No complaints. I've never had problems with FTF or FTE, regardles of the ammo, although I always fed it decent ammo, never the cheap stuff. I only use Springfield mags.

Last edited:
My 1911 is a [url='https://www.springfield-armory.com/1911-series-handguns/1911-loaded-handguns/]Springfield Loaded Commander[/url] which it doesn't appear is made anymore, although there are other variations of the Loaded model.
Is it stamped 1911-A ? It could be pretty old. Augusta Armory did a lot of rebuilds early WWII years to update existing 1911's.
I have my Dad's sidearm issued 1944. Colt 1911 .45, mfgr 1936? Augusta Armory rebuild 1940ish

5” is the best for reliability but it’s very hard to find a 1911 under 1K that I would trust for HD. What you commonly hear from firearms experts and instructors $1500 is the minimum for a defensive 1911. Dan Wesson is a common recommendation as are some of the Springfield higher end offerings. Colt as well. But to be honest when I hear 1911 and HD I cringe a bit.

The 1911is a very finicky gun and requires a lot of hand fitting to make it truly reliable with all types of ammo and magazines. Believe me,I was a huge 1911 guy. I thought mine was reliable (had 1000 of ball through it fired mostly at a range) but then I took some pistol classes and started shooting IPDA it was night and day. Found out my “carry gun” (a first series Kimber..back when they were actually well made) was very picky with magazines and ammo. Spend a lot of time and money on books, videos and tools to try to learn 1911s. Final gave up and got a M&P 45 full sized with a thumb safety and an Apex FSS trigger. All the ergonomics and accuracy of a stock 1911 with the reliability of a modern service pistol aka M&P, Glock, HK. Etc. Go to any IPDA match in the US on any given weekend or take a pistol course and you will probably see 1911s choking.

I highly suggest you take some time to read the archives of Hilton Yams website. He is a master 1911 pistolsmith used to be the armor or for Miami’s SWAT team and is probably the most relied on member of the gun community for serious use 1911 info. Also Larry Vickers who used to maintain the 1911s Delta Force used back in the day. Ken Hackathorn too

The fact that Yam, Vickers, and Delta Force all shoot Glocks now may be construed as a “clue”. Here is an article on his website I suggest you read
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3250

PSA has taken some heat in this thread over the quality of their rifles. They do make a lot of them at different quality levels and price points. Know what you are buying. If you expect one if their $400 rifles to be able to do the same thing as BMC $1200 rifle you are naive at best.

that said they do have higher end rifles that have a lot of similar features to the big names at a discounted price.

Do your research before buying is all.

my PSA cold hammer forged, MPI, chrome lined rifle.

F61AA0BF-100B-4E5B-AA3B-95C6B5160B06.jpeg
AD0456A8-9B83-4475-8828-5345886874CB.jpeg

Last edited:
What were you using before?
I started with a Lee Turret. I loaded for a few years and then decided to add a Loadmaster to support the bulk 9mm that I needed. I knew what I was getting into with the Loadmaster, but I am a natural tinkerer and had the time to make it work. I got the Loadmaster running pretty well, but the priming system always annoyed me. It also had a significant amount of "press stretch" when all stations were working. I pretty much only used it for the high volume stuff. Rifle stayed on the single stage or the turret, and low volume pistol would go on the turret. I started with the Loadmaster when I didn't have kids and I had plenty of time to tinker. Now, with kids, I wanted the ability to setup the press and crank out 500 rounds (without interruption) in a single evening.

I love the Dillon 550C, and it is a solid piece of machinery. The only beef I have with it is the primer bar bearing tack does not provide enough support and will cause the primer bar to hang on the down stroke. I just have to blow off the bearing plate with my air hose and it will work properly again, but it's annoying.

Is it stamped 1911-A ? It could be pretty old. Augusta Armory did a lot of rebuilds early WWII years to update existing 1911's.
I have my Dad's sidearm issued 1944. Colt 1911 .45, mfgr 1936? Augusta Armory rebuild 1940ish
No, I bought it new within the last 15ish years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom