Guns you own (4 Viewers)

The M&P 15-22 is on my radar as well, I've heard really nothing but good stuff about it.
Most people in the know seem to recommend it over a conversion. It also has all the same controls and many interchangeable parts with a real AR. Tippman, the paintball company, also came out with one that gets good reviews.
I really like the idea of a shorty as a suppressed rifle. .22 can actually be sub sonic and the extra barrel length doesn’t get you much anyway with that cartridge. Add a suppressor and you have a rifle with an over all length of a 16” or less. Videos of suppressed .22s are awesome. You just hear the click of the action! Suppressed ARs in 5.56 still really warrant hearing protection!

Dumb question, does a 5.56 can suppress a 22 round as well as a 22 can? I would rather purchase a 5.56 can than a 22. I'm sure they are engineered for a specific round.

I guess I could goog... scratch that- duck duck go that.

Dumb question, does a 5.56 can suppress a 22 round as well as a 22 can? I would rather purchase a 5.56 can than a 22. I'm sure they are engineered for a specific round.

You can technically shoot a .22 through a 5.56/.223 suppressor but it’s never recommended. Reason being is that .22 is a very dirty and low pressure round. Full power rifle suppressors are usually welded closed and can’t be taken apart and cleaned. They shoot jacketed bullets at extremely high pressures so are a almost self cleaning...as in they blast themselves clean...kind of.

.22 suppressors are all made to be taken apart and cleaned because they foul quickly with carbon and lead.

The pistol will definitely be on my radar. Hopefully they will be around long enough for prices to normalize again. I can’t see paying msrp of 504. Tree fiddy seems like the right price point and I already have the mags.

Look at CMMG for AR style uppers that mount to 556 lowers.
9mm
22lr
Etc...
Carbine lengths as well.
One lower = a dozen toys.

I would trade all of the chips that I own for the right amount of ammo in the right calibers. :whistle: :whistling:
Am curious what the "right amount" might be...probably would be cheaper to buy different chips than pay for shipping on the amount of ammo needed for those sweet, sweet chipes.

/but feel free to PM if you need ammo. I might be able to help out.

I got my wife the S&W Shield, great gun for her.
I went with the compact, it was a better fit for my hand. I really like M&P line of guns, I owned a couple of the AR sports as well.

So I have a Smith & Wesson, M&P 2.0, Full Size, Striker Fired, 9MM, 4.6" Threaded Barrel, 17+, love this gun and its a blast at the range, I haven't gotten a suppressor for it yet, mainly cause I am lazy and don't feel like going through all the paperwork which I should have just done it when I went through all the paperwork to get this, but also they aren't cheap =)

I got my wife the S&W Shield, great gun for her.
My wife wanted a carry gun and we went looking right around Jan 2020. Wanted her to try a few options on the range and then covid happened. Now, looks like stores have emptied.

Went to take my daughter shooting (at her request, hooray!!) last week and the shop is basically a range only now. No gun or ammo inventory and only 1 box max sold per shooter renting a lane.

Lucky I don’t lack for either but it sure is crazy.

My wife wanted a carry gun and we went looking right around Jan 2020. Wanted her to try a few options on the range and then covid happened. Now, looks like stores have emptied.

Went to take my daughter shooting (at her request, hooray!!) last week and the shop is basically a range only now. No gun or ammo inventory and only 1 box max sold per shooter renting a lane.

Lucky I don’t lack for either but it sure is crazy.
its absolutely crazy town right now I agree, I always bought range ammo by the case anyways so I have plenty, I didnt buy it cause i was paranoid I bought it cause I was being cheap :)

Acoustic engineer here... I'd avoid spending the coin on a 5.56 suppressor unless you have a specific purpose for it, since there is really no such thing as 5.56 subsonic ammunition. I mean, there is, it's just 22lr.

The supersonic crack of a 556/223rem round is not hearing safe. So no matter how much you suppress the cartridge blast, you're still going to need hearing protection for the sonic boom. And keep in mind, the sonic boom is a continuous event while an object travels at supersonic speeds; depending on the topography at your range, you will likely hear the effect as the bullet travels down range.

Best options for running a weapon suppressed are 9mm subsonic, 300 AAC subsonic (which was specifically designed to be suppressed), and 45ACP subsonic.

Any rifle caliber at supersonic speeds will give you that supersonic crack, and a nasty ring in your ear.

For reference:
Speed of sound is 1,125fps
General rule of thumb for subsonic is ammo rated at less than 1,100fps muzzle velocity (although barrel length will affect muzzle velocity)

Last edited:
its absolutely crazy town right now I agree, I always bought range ammo by the case anyways so I have plenty, I didnt buy it cause i was paranoid I bought it cause I was being cheap :)
It’s funny how everyone’s measure of “plenty” varies. I’ve got friends who carry daily and enough ammo is two boxes of hollow points on hand and a few boxes of range ammo for a range practice trip every 2 or 3 months, if even that because they just pick up ammo at walmart on the way or pay high for it at the range. They are defensive carry guys and it’s not their hobby.

I’ve always shot for sport/fun and when my oldest son and I were shooting & practicing IDPA weekly we were doing about 1k rounds a month and I would bulk order 3k rounds every 2 months.

Casual “a few times a year” shooters often don’t really understand how much ammo you can go through and if you say you have about 30k rounds at home they freak out or look at you like some nut job. Just a single case of 22lr is 5k rounds and it’s just like a pair of shoe boxes stacked on the shelf.

I went through a bit of caliber consolidation during the last shortage to make it easier to have what I need on hand because it does get to be a pita sometimes.

It’s funny how everyone’s measure of “plenty” varies. I’ve got friends who carry daily and enough ammo is two boxes of hollow points on hand and a few boxes of range ammo for a range practice trip every 2 or 3 months, if even that because they just pick up ammo at walmart on the way or pay high for it at the range. They are defensive carry guys and it’s not their hobby.

I’ve always shot for sport/fun and when my oldest son and I were shooting & practicing IDPA weekly we were doing about 1k rounds a month and I would bulk order 3k rounds every 2 months.

Casual “a few times a year” shooters often don’t really understand how much ammo you can go through and if you say you have about 30k rounds at home they freak out or look at you like some nut job. Just a single case of 22lr is 5k rounds and it’s just like a pair of shoe boxes stacked on the shelf.

I went through a bit of caliber consolidation during the last shortage to make it easier to have what I need on hand because it does get to be a pita sometimes.
I get shit cause I don’t carry, a lot friends carry, some due to their jobs. I have a friend who buys by the 1000s but he spends a lot of time shooting and also competes. Home defense I have just a couple of boxes, but really If you are emptying a clip and need to reload you got much bigger problems

It's a magazine, not a clip... (my first day at my old gun club I was corrected... people suck)

I used to live 1 mile from an awesome range with multiple outdoor ranges and an indoor heated range that no one used. I would go once a week at least and use hundreds of rounds. 2 Years ago I moved an hour away I have not found a comparable range. THe closest public range shuttered it's doors a month into Covid and announced the state of Mass (I live 10 minutes from the border where this range is) pretty much killed their business and would not be reopening.

I have a few thousand rounds of each, but know once I find a range I'll chew though it in no time. Curious about importing, what the legaliites are...not that I mind a little gray action...

Last edited:
Lol yes magazine, but hey been playing a lot of COD during covid and the kids say clips!!
I only mentioned it, because it was such an uncomfortable interaction I had at my old gun club... I was the new guy, still new to guns and it was an old salty fuck that said it to me. Good times. Some gun people are fucking weeeeiiird.

Acoustic engineer here... I'd avoid spending the coin on a 5.56 suppressor unless you have a specific purpose for it, since there is really no such thing as 5.56 subsonic ammunition. I mean, there is, it's just 22lr.

The supersonic crack of a 556/223rem round is not hearing safe. So no matter how much you suppress the cartridge blast, you're still going to need hearing protection for the sonic boom. And keep in mind, the sonic boom is a continuous event while an object travels at supersonic speeds; depending on the topography at your range, you will likely hear the effect as the bullet travels down range.

Best options for running a weapon suppressed are 9mm subsonic, 300 AAC subsonic (which was specifically designed to be suppressed), and 45ACP subsonic.

Any rifle caliber at supersonic speeds will give you that supersonic crack, and a nasty ring in your ear.

For reference:
Speed of sound is 1,125fps
General rule of thumb for subsonic is ammo rated at less than 1,100fps muzzle velocity (although barrel length will affect muzzle velocity)
I’ve debated on the caliber of the first suppressor I get. .30 cal is the typical recommendation because you could use it for .300 BLK and 5.56. I disagree slightly that a suppressed 5.56 rifle is not worth it. On a longer barrel some 5.56 specific suppressors can get the noise down to right about OSHA hearing safe...but I wouldn’t shoot more than a round or two without hearing protection.

That said an unsuppressed AR is LOUD!!! And concussive. Especially indoors or even under a roof. I think a suppressor on a HD AR extremely helpful if the rifle was fired inside without ear protection. LE and military use them for this reason and flash suppression.

Thought I would share my most prized gun in the collection. Not for sale.;)

Attachments

• E87388A2-6757-42B9-B39D-A10C16118433.png
    E87388A2-6757-42B9-B39D-A10C16118433.png
    393.2 KB · Views: 68
I’ve debated on the caliber of the first suppressor I get. .30 cal is the typical recommendation because you could use it for .300 BLK and 5.56. I disagree slightly that a suppressed 5.56 rifle is not worth it. On a longer barrel some 5.56 specific suppressors can get the noise down to right about OSHA hearing safe...but I wouldn’t shoot more than a round or two without hearing protection.

A longer barrel will actually produce higher muzzle velocity. Too long of a barrel and the extra pressure build-up will push the bullet supersonic, negating the subsonic (eg, quieter) benefits. This is why most 300 Blackout builds designed around subs are 8"-10.5".

And in all fairness, I'm an admitted suppressor snob. I don't see much point in shooting supersonic ammo suppressed. Subjectively, the bullet crack is just too damn loud for my ears. For me, the goal is to enjoy shooting without earpro, and being able to chat with my buddies at the same time.

When that supersonic crack is eliminated, you have something on par with a paintball gun. Which is a whole hell of a lot of fun.

PS: As for first suppressor to get, I'd almost lean towards .45 - only because you can also run 9mm through them as well (which is just a buttload of fun). If you don't have anything in 9mm, then yes, the 300 size will cover a good range of calibers.

A longer barrel will actually produce higher muzzle velocity. Too long of a barrel and the extra pressure build-up will push the bullet supersonic, negating the subsonic (eg, quieter) benefits. This is why most 300 Blackout builds designed around subs are 8"-10.5".

And in all fairness, I'm an admitted suppressor snob. I don't see much point in shooting supersonic ammo suppressed. Subjectively, the bullet crack is just too damn loud for my ears. For me, the goal is to enjoy shooting without earpro, and being able to chat with my buddies at the same time.

When that supersonic crack is eliminated, you have something on par with a paintball gun. Which is a whole hell of a lot of fun.

PS: As for first suppressor to get, I'd almost lean towards .45 - only because you can also run 9mm through them as well (which is just a buttload of fun). If you don't have anything in 9mm, then yes, the 300 size will cover a good range of calibers.
Shorter barrels are always louder but it’s not related to sonic boom. Stand next to 11” vs 16” AR and it’s immediately noticeable. The sound barrier is the sound barrier and the bullet doesn’t make a louder sonic boom if it’s going faster. Shorter barrels actually have a higher muzzle pressure even with a lower muzzle velocity of the projectile. The powder doesn’t get the chance to fully burn and cool before the bullet exits as on a longer barrel so the pop is louder. This is also why short barrel cycle the bolt faster and have more muzzle flash.

300 BLK barrels are often under 10” because it’s been found there isn’t much to gain longer than that since most of the powder will be burned up in around 8- 9”. That’s not the case with 5.56. This is why some cheaper suppressors aren’t rated for short barrels being that the unburned powder erodes the baffles.

The pitch the inventors of 300BLK made to SOCOM was that you could have a subsonic rifle (sub machine gun really) with the ballistics of .45 ACP and a rifle with ...well rifle ballistics close to 7.62x39 with just a magazine change. That and everything but the barrel on an AR platform would be interchangeable with 5.56 parts.

Right now I’m not interested in pistol suppressors but the concept of buying a .45 to use for 9mm as well is the same as buying a .30 can to also use with 5.56/.233.

Last edited:
I only mentioned it, because it was such an uncomfortable interaction I had at my old gun club... I was the new guy, still new to guns and it was an old salty fuck that said it to me. Good times. Some gun people are fucking weeeeiiird.
Just recreational, its like suppressor vs silencer I guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom