Going Clear: Scientology Book and Documentary (1 Viewer)

Meh...i can't differentiate between the bullshit he's spouting and the different flavor of bullshit any other religion spouts...
If you believe I something, good for you. It's like a sexual preference..keep it to yourself. Just the way I see it.
Imo some are just marketed better. In the end, they make you seek out a higher and 'greater' power when true spiritual awareness is knowing you have all the power within and to be original.
I'm highly spiritual but not religious at all.

End rant here

Sent using tapatalk!

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw last week:
"Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people"

I thought it was pretty good. :)

31524.jpg

okay, the first time i watched the doc i pretty much dozed off in and out throughout, but i watched it again last night and got the full experience.

very interesting, certainly, but i stand by my opinion of the doc as a film and alex gibney as a director. still say it's worth the watch and am even more sure that the book is more deserving of the attention than the movie.

I watched it a few nights ago, as alluded to above. I think that I had heard most of the content before, but as a documentary film, it was well assembled and the narrative flow was quite good. I wish I had learned more, but I was certainly impressed as a work of film.

just a bump for this in case anyone who's willing hasn't signed yet. shocking how few signatures are on it.

Done!

Now I have this black car with tinted windows following everywhere! It's working it seems! :)

Watched it on Friday. Was kind of meh. If I had watched this without having watched a bunch of stuff about scientology already it would have been a lot better. One of the things they don't mention in the doc is that most of the people that were interviewed still believe in scientology even though they are no longer part of the church. That is just mind boggling to me.

Watched it on Friday. Was kind of meh. If I had watched this without having watched a bunch of stuff about scientology already it would have been a lot better. One of the things they don't mention in the doc is that most of the people that were interviewed still believe in scientology even though they are no longer part of the church. That is just mind boggling to me.

yeah very true. i watched a similar documentary about mormonism a while back and a lot of the interview subjects were "former LDS members". it was a funny experience to be looking to them for "wisdom" about the church during the movie only to realize later that they'd only left to form offshoots of LDS that still relied on the basic mormon belief system.

another area where the movie falls short is in not asking someone as obviously bright and aware as paul haggis to discuss why he allowed himself to be so intentionally ignorant for so long. it boggles my mind that someone like him could spend 30 years in this culture and never once have occasion to think critically about any of it. i get why some of the folks wouldn't have been the right people to get to talk more openly about that, but haggis in particular seems pretty clearly capable of digging into his own failures, so to leave that question unasked is a problem imo.

yeah very true. i watched a similar documentary about mormonism a while back and a lot of the interview subjects were "former LDS members". it was a funny experience to be looking to them for "wisdom" about the church during the movie only to realize later that they'd only left to form offshoots of LDS that still relied on the basic mormon belief system.

another area where the movie falls short is in not asking someone as obviously bright and aware as paul haggis to discuss why he allowed himself to be so intentionally ignorant for so long. it boggles my mind that someone like him could spend 30 years in this culture and never once have occasion to think critically about any of it. i get why some of the folks wouldn't have been the right people to get to talk more openly about that, but haggis in particular seems pretty clearly capable of digging into his own failures, so to leave that question unasked is a problem imo.
I would love to see the footage that didn't make the cut or the "off the record" responses.

Also, if you google any of the people from the movie, there is an ad for a scientology site trying to discredit the sources. It's pretty ridiculous.

As far as Haggis goes...who knows? The power of belief is crazy. Might as well ask why anyone with a decent head on their shoulders believes any religion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom