Getting Quotes For Yard Drainage System (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
When it rains we have standing water that pools close to the house at the front and back

So far got a quote for $2500 to install 4 inch pipe, tie in with gutters and run to the yard on the right of my septic since it's lower so gravity will allow it to flow

Had a 2nd guy come out yesterday, waiting on the quote, but he wants to do 6 inch pipe, drop to same area. He would tie in the gutters, water filtration discharge and the AC drip as well.

I thought you were selling?

Nope, bought my home at 80k, it appraised for 113k, so did a cash out refinance. Putting money back into the home for some repairs. Biggest concern is the drainage issue, then have about 7 sections of missing fence between my house and the property behind me that needs to get replaced. Also want to look at new entrance steps. We don't really use the back steps (with the glass sliding door) but the water issues back there have caused the bottom part of those stairs to start crumbling so that's gotta get releveled and a new set put in.

And for the side steps where we park and enter the house, would like steps that have a bigger platform at the top so when we bring groceries in it's less of a struggle.

Also spoke with the neighbors on my driveway (there's one at the back by the lake and one at the front entrance, we're in the middle) and we're all going to share the expense of getting some more gravel to fill the front part of the driveway (it's got a big dip that floods now since all the tires twist and turn in that area) plus the far back gets chopped up where my property meets the neighbors by the lake)

Guy quoted us $750 to fill and spread, not the entire driveway but just the front and back sections, so we agreed to share the costs of that.

Alright, so the first quote for drainage and 4" pipes was $2500 (he was around the $2600 and change mark but had "discounted" it somewhat). Don't have the quote in front of me, but don't recall him mentioning tying in the AC or filtration system drainage into it. Guy was from a Landscape company that is sort of an all-in-one company for a variety of jobs.

The second quote just came through, strictly from a company that does irrigation primarily. Gave me two quotes:

$3,170
$2,680

I need to read through the fine print to see what the differences are, although I know he was at 6" pipe plus was tying the AC and filtration discharges and was reusing the soil from where he digs to build up some of my lower lying areas and level it out a bit.

Smooth pipe or corragated? How many downspouts are being connected?

Also, will there be any French drains or basin drains installed?

My neighbor is a sales rep for NDS, so we talk this stuff all the time. I also have a problem area in my back yard.

Alright, so it looks like the $3,170 proposal is to install the discharge and catch basins at the front and rear of the house, as well as perforating all basins and installing a gravel sump to promote drainage (not a powered sump pump), and removing and replacing sod where possible, plus using the soil to buildup some areas around the house.

The $2,680 is an additional option where they tie the gutters into the drainage system.

the $3,170 quote is for:

(2) 12" catch basins off back right corner of the house
(1) basin at the AC drain
(1) basin at the water softener discharge

Tie all (4) basins together with 45' of 4" corrugated non perforated poly pipe (cnpp) and convert to 6" cnpp.

Install 135' of 6" cnpp and:

(1) 12" discharge basin at the right side of the septic mount

Install:

(2) catch basins off the front right corner of the house
Install 10' of 4" cnpp - convert to 5" cnpp
intall 40' of 6" cnpp and tie into the previous 6"

quoted to utilize some of the excess soil around the back steps and AC unit

Perforate all basins
Install gravel sump to promote drainage
Remove & replace as much of the existing sod as possible
Quoted for standard down spouts, not super gutter

I was going to do a couple of French drains on my own but one area has a large oak that I’m sure the roots would be a nightmare. Maybe I’ll get a few quotes.

The issue with cnpp is two fold, it clogs, and it isn't smooth. Smooth pipe moves a lot more water than the same size cnpp. It can also be unclogged easier. It's also a lot more expensive. It sounds like you'll be better off with the specialized company. My neighbor (a different one) had their house flood due to no drainage in their back yard. Insurance paid to have everything redone. The had a "guy" come out and install a bunch of pipe and drains, and a year later - flooded again. As my buddy who sells this stuff says, anyone can install it, but it takes training and experience to scope the job correctly and go with the right materials/sizes. I believe the question you want to ask is if any water shed calculation was done. They take sqft of roof plus yard area/slope to determin how much water needs to move. Good luck.

the specialized company is the one who quoted me higher and the cnpp
Probably because cnpp is easier to work with and a lot cheaper, which is why he's using a 6in pipe. I mean the stuff works, it's just a pain in the ass when it gets clogged with leaves. My house is 10 years old and I have a section clogged. Although my downspouts go into the ground, not a basin, so there's nothing stopping leaves. A basin grate would help a lot there. I'm either going to have to have someone try water jetting out the clog, or rip up the cnpp and install a new run.

The quote at $2500 lists this:

90 linear feet of 4" French drain along front & back yard
perforated 4" pipe / Trench Wrap / 57 Stone / NDS Fittings

88 linear feet of 4" solid pipe to connect downspouts and to dump French drains near septic tank

Alright, considering going with this company, positive reviews and got me copies of his insurance and licensing so I know he's legit (also looked them up on the government biz site)

DRAINAGE: $2500

90 linear feet of 4" French drain along front & back yard
perforated 4" pipe / Trench Wrap / 57 Stone / NDS Fittings

88 linear feet of 4" solid pipe to connect downspouts and to dump French drains near septic tank

FENCE: $1,782

81 Linear Feet of 6x8 Pressure Treated Board on Board
Re-set Posts as panels are 8' wide

So he can get both projects done, rather than me messing with multiple companies. So looking at $4,282 total for the drainage and fence projects (can't remember if I mentioned it but have some missing sections of fencing we're looking to get replaced)

Anyhoozen, my first time dealing with this sort of contract work. Any tips as far as what I should be looking for in fine print, warranty and any tips on negotiating the price?

His prices are in line with multiple other quotes I received, but I figure maybe there's some wiggle room?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom