Game Play - Table vs. Chips (1 Viewer)

Preference on game play

• High-end Chips (i.e. mint Paulsons) & Low-end Table

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • Low-end Chips (i.e. dice chips) & High-end Table (i.e. Chanman)

Votes: 47 50.5%

• Total voters

Geremie

Full House
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing whether people would rather play on a high-end table with low-end chips or low-end table with high-end chips.

I dunno...how bad of a table are we talking? If it’s like you can’t pick up cards then the chips don’t really matter cause the game is basically unplayable.

High-end chips on low-end table is a Ferrari 458 Italia on a bumpy dirt road. Not only is it not enjoyable, it basically risks destroying the car.
No armrest means also no protective fence for the chips (and cards), and a hard surface destroys both chips and cards. No thanks.
A Ford Fiesta squeezed on a racetrack makes much more sense.

Granted, I’m new to to chipping, but the table plays a bigger role in my enjoyment of the game than the chips (as long as we’re not playing with WalMart red and blue plastics).

High end table AND CHAIRS
Chairs was not in the OP - but yes, 100% chairs are the most important to me.

Chairs>>>>>Table>>>>>>>Cards>>Chips. Although I despise dice chips - I'll play with them f the crowd is good, and the setup is comfortable. Just please use standard colors.

Sorrynotsorry, table's more important. Fighting with a shitty octo-topper surface to pick up cards all night is no fun.

That said, I've played with as little as interlocking plastic chips on a marble park table, or even piles of coins on a glass table, so it's not like I'm going to walk away from either of the cases in the poll. If the game is good, that's what matters.

Just please use standard colors.

Blue dice chips are $0.20, red are $0.40, green are $1, black are $2, and the mixed white/yellow are $5.

No joke, I attended a game like this years ago with my boss at the time. I think it was $0.20/$0.40 NLHE with a $20 or $40 buy-in. My ex-wife crushed the game, and I took a modest profit. Guys were way more interested in some CD case covered in baby powder than they were interested in playing poker.

Table (and chairs) first, chips second. But I really hate playing with crappy chips!

My worst experience was playing on and 8 ft formica folding table, metal folding chairs AND dice chips! Just horrible!

Last edited:
Very interesting responses so far!

A little more context behind this poll.

One of the people in my group who doesn’t host now is considering getting a table/chairs and chips.

I’m leaning them towards getting the nicer table and chairs (I guess my thinking comes down to that I could always supply the chips for the night).

The original table my group used was free and cost under 200 to make it Rounders-ish. Padding and rail and all that. I would rather have nice chips on that than a crappy chips on a expensive table.

I'm interested in seeing whether people would rather play on a high-end table with low-end chips or low-end table with high-end chips.

I think it mostly depends on how low-end the low-end is!

If the table is bad enough, chips can't compensate.

If the chips are bad enough, the table can't compensate.

Now, if the question were:

Rather play with beautiful custom Paulsons on a $50 fold-up poker table, or

Play with dice chips on Chanman custom table...

It's a tough, tough choice for me. What kinda cards are each using? ;)

I’d be like WTF if I showed up to game that had high end chips and we are playing on the kitchen table with paper cards!

I’d be even more pissed if they asked me to bring my chips to get tossed all over a wood table.

I can deal with dice chips, but not having a rail to keep cards/chips on the table and some kind of surface that makes picking up the cards easy would drive me much more nuts.

Players and other people will notice a nice custom table 145,695,392 more often than nice poker chips. Somewhat unfortunate, but true. The good thing is that in no universe are the two mutually exclusive. You can have a great table AND great chips, and I wager most do.

If you want to make a good first impression, then go all in on your table.

My regular poker buddies play with dice chips on crappy tables (hardwood table with thin vinyl cover that bubbles). I've brought my Paulson's and my CPC's to these games but the table makes for a horrible experience.

On the other hand, I just played a game this past weekend on a Chanman'ish table (materials purchased from Tony for a DIY project) with dice chips. The nicer table made it a much better experience.

on crappy tables (hardwood table with thin vinyl cover that bubbles). I've brought my Paulson's and my CPC's to these games but the table makes for a horrible experience.
I wouldn't even walk past their houses if I had my chips with me:LOL: :laugh:

I try to play in a yearly Toys4Tots tourney put on by my hometown Lions club. It's a little sloppily run, and played with dice chips, using non-standard colors, on old folding tables, sitting in metal folding chairs. But it's a fun environment, everyone's having a good time, and it beats not playing poker.

But I agree with @allforcharity, my crew would notice nice tables before they notice nice chips. For the most part, they don't really care for my insistence on rules and etiquette, but I make a fuss about it anyway.

My order of preference:
1. Great table, great chips
2. Great table, bad chips
3. Crap table, crap chips
4. Amazing chips, crap table (it would be like drinking expensive liquor out of a styro cup)
1. Great Table, Great Chairs, Great Chips
2. Great Table, Great Chairs, Bad Chips
3. Great Chairs, Bad Table, Bad Chips
4. Bad Table, Bad Chairs, Bad Chips (*Only if great liquor AND great action!)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom