Full Ring Tournament Hand UTG (1 Viewer)

How did action run out from there? Was there a showdown?

Honestly I only know the button won the hand and that it didn't get to a showdown. After I puke folded I got up to go to the bathroom. Not sure how the runout went.

IIRC, HJ went into the tank for a bit but ended up folding. I may be mis-remembering the action but I believe button showed KK after the fold (dude was on an early heater with cards).

Do you have any sort of read on UTG+1? They definitely have fold equity, and a cold 4-bet jam would put them to the test. What would you think their opening range would be in this spot. It should be narrow in that position, but not everyone is positionally aware. Depending on your answers I could go 4bet, fold, or even call and evaluate a lop (probably my 3rd choice).
I'll abstain from any specific giveaway of who these guys are as they are both members here unless they are reading this and want to say so, but my profiles of them are below. I have about three years worth of monthly table time against each villain.

UTG + 1 plays a bit loose relative to the rest of the table. Isn't afraid to open a little lighter than others at the table even out of position. Plays his draws passively, but will continue to C- bet and barrel hands that he opens with at high frequency.

HJ is a tight, aggressive player that I won a good pot off of just a couple of orbits prior when my open ended straight draw hit on the river. Plays his made hands for value really well. A pretty wily player that can get tricky and sizes his bets deceptively. That doesn't come into play here as he shoved here.

IIRC, HJ went into the tank for a bit but ended up folding. I may be mis-remembering the action but I believe button showed KK after the fold (dude was on an early heater with cards).
You have the right players, wrong positions. I remember the hand you're referencing, but this one isn't it.

I'll abstain from any specific giveaway of who these guys are as they are both members here unless they are reading this and want to say so, but my profiles of them are below. I have about three years worth of monthly table time against each villain.

UTG + 1 plays a bit loose relative to the rest of the table. Isn't afraid to open a little lighter than others at the table even out of position. Plays his draws passively, but will continue to C- bet and barrel hands that he opens with at high frequency.

HJ is a tight, aggressive player that I won a good pot off of just a couple of orbits prior when my open ended straight draw hit on the river. Plays his made hands for value really well. A pretty wily player that can get tricky and sizes his bets deceptively. That doesn't come into play here as he shoved here.
Given this I 4 bet. You're ahead of more of HJs range than you are behind.

Is he the kind of guy that would shove 6s - 10s short stacked like this against an open? If so, you're definitely much more ahead than behind and I'd do the 4 bet.

HJ as TAG Could have two overs, or probably any two pair (66 and up). Could also be showing up here with suited connecters. When I'm that short, in a rebuy situation, I'm usually in Jam/Fold mode and the Range is pretty wide.

Because of this, and the fact UTG+1 opening lighter than most, I am going to re-jam. Lets get some dead money on the pot and get JJ heads up, all in, and with no further decisions rather than 3-ways where you could just get put in an awful spot,

You have the right players, wrong positions. I remember the hand you're referencing, but this one isn't it.
OK. Dude had KK or AA like 4 or 5 times the first hour, so I may still be right lol. It's always fun when a LAGgy player runs like the sun....

I’m shoving with the player description. You should definitely be ahead of both their ranges. HJ has 23 bigs so it’s not like he has to shove super wide, though, especially not given the positions in this hand. Still a shove though imo

Hmm... sounds like Mike and Nelson to me! Lmao if it was Mike who Jammed I am running with my tail between my legs! Top 3 right thur... AK, AA or KK. Nelson... it's on baby! Let's gamble and then go smoke a cigar! Haha

But now I am rethinking this one... tighty tighty could be Sam or Randy! Also loose Goosey could be Luke.

Don't worry Joe... only two of these people participate regularly on the forum. And one of those just stops by to say "hello and welcome" to new members... the other is completely obsessed with hunting for dealer buttons and doesn't have time for anything else!

I love that I just turned your strategy thread into a NJ Roast session! Lmao

One thing is for certain... both are in this photo of "Card Players most Wanted!!"
IMG_2767.JPG.jpg

Let's Jam it in there Joe! Nothing wrong woth getting it in there bad and catching the ole river! Lmao

Damn I already miss our Jersey fam!

Last edited:

@JMC9389 @Irish I might need to start taking notes when playing with you guys, if you're recalling this level of detail. I probably couldn't tell you the start-to-finish details of a single hand I was involved in on Saturday.

Hell, you could be talking about me in these scenarios, and I wouldn't know it. Although I'm 99% sure you're not...? Feel free to out me if you are, doesn't matter to me.

Probably a pretty big clue as to why I'm not a better player :wtf:

Last edited:
Wait, you went to the bathroom without witnessing the runout once you made the hero fold?? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Yup, didn't want to know. Mostly out of frustration but I really needed to pee!

Alright, plot twist time. There's a part 2 to this!

Just two nights ago, I ran into a very similar spot

Once again a full ring of 10 players. T10000 base with bounties. Blinds are 75/150, hero won a couple of nice pots early and has about a 14000 stack, largest at the table in this moment.

Hero is in the small blind, and once again looks down at :js: :jc:

Folds around to UTG+ 1 with a slightly below starting stack who raises to 500. Folds around to HJ (different villain from last hand) whom is short stacked with about 3500 left, who shoves. Folds around to hero.

Hero?

This seems like a textbook re-shove to isolate. Only thing that would stop me here is if you feel the UTG1 is an OMC or something with a very tight opening range from EP. Against a normal to loose player or unknown, I shove here.

Given how the first hand in this thread played out, I like to think that I try and learn from previous mistakes, even if it means the local PCF crew reads about them. Trying to fix the leaks is why I put up these strategy threads once in a while. The hand doesn't have have to be absolutely crazy or swingy and doesn't necessarily have to go all four streets to have a few talking points.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it was because the first hand in this thread was fresh in my mind, or if I actually learned something, but I proceeded to do something different here.

I look at Jacks again out of position facing a three bet jam. I do have the big stack at the tabe which doesn't change anything, but being dominated or outflopped by the three bettor would just double him up and would still keep me above starting stack early on in the tournament.

What I'm worried about here is a five bet or a shove from the UTG villain if I four bet or just call the HJ shove. I have UTG covered by about 5000 in chips, but I have zero interest in playing this multiways or getting outflopped by UTG and losing the side pot even if he just calls the HJ all in.

With this, I throw the bounty chip into the middle and shove to isolate UTG to try and get him out. It ends up working as he doesn't snap call and ends up folding after a few seconds.

I end up against A 8 of spades against HJ and the Jacks end up holding.

Given how the first hand in this thread played out, I like to think that I try and learn from previous mistakes, even if it means the local PCF crew reads about them. Trying to fix the leaks is why I put up these strategy threads once in a while. The hand doesn't have have to be absolutely crazy or swingy and doesn't necessarily have to go all four streets to have a few talking points.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it was because the first hand in this thread was fresh in my mind, or if I actually learned something, but I proceeded to do something different here.

I look at Jacks again out of position facing a three bet jam. I do have the big stack at the tabe which doesn't change anything, but being dominated or outflopped by the three bettor would just double him up and would still keep me above starting stack early on in the tournament.

What I'm worried about here is a five bet or a shove from the UTG villain if I four bet or just call the HJ shove. I have UTG covered by about 5000 in chips, but I have zero interest in playing this multiways or getting outflopped by UTG and losing the side pot even if he just calls the HJ all in.

With this, I throw the bounty chip into the middle and shove to isolate UTG to try and get him out. It ends up working as he doesn't snap call and ends up folding after a few seconds.

I end up against A 8 of spades against HJ and the Jacks end up holding.
Now do this *every time* lol - gg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom