Flop a monster draw from the BB with me (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
$80 local tourney, players started with 40K chips and blinds at 25/50, but they go up every 15 minutes.

Blinds are 600/1200 with a 200 ante. Hero is the BB with :kd::4d: and considers shoving with his 33K remaining chips after 5 players limp in, but opts to just check. Avg stack at this point is 50k

Pot: 9400

Flop: :5d::3s::2d:

SB checks, Hero?

$80 local tourney, players started with 40K chips and blinds at 25/50, but they go up every 15 minutes.

Blinds are 600/1200 with a 200 ante. Hero is the BB with :kd::4d: and considers shoving with his 33K remaining chips after 5 players limp in, but opts to just check. Avg stack at this point is 50k

SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets 2K, guy who was previously chip leader with over 100K but now has about 65K raises to 8K.

Pot: 19,400

Hero has 33K left, Hero?

If we jam here we guarantee we are only getting called by sets or better.

(Edit, meaning if we jammed on first action, wrote this before the flop action was revealed.)

My instinct is to usually check call this, but part of me wonders how often a half-pot bet gets through here on this board. In a limp pot I would assume the only over pairs are 66-88. And we're ahead of that and just about anything else that isn't a set or a straight, so it kinda feels like a value bet here.

The downside to betting is we probably have to call a jam because so little has us crushed, so it's the higher variance line for sure.

I think if there is a frequent bluffer to act, this is a pretty good check-raising hand. Even if we get called we are never drawing dead. (Nice to have the :4d: here so no one can have a straight and a higher flush draw.)

So I think it's
1) check call
2) bet half pot.
3) check planning to raise all in.

I think these options run close and depends on knowing the players yet to act. In a vacuum, that's how I rank, but I wouldn't hate any of these plays.

Last edited:
Okay I see you filled in the flop action.

I am guessing utg guy has 66-88, but his sizing is so small, but not much else makes sense from that spot. Maybe he can have sets if he's limping all pairs utg I guess.

I would probably shove on ex chip leader guy alone I suppose if he's tilty, but 2 opponents just makes it harder for me to expect to get a shove through. On the other hand we are always drawing live unless one guy has :ad: x-:d: and the other has 64. So getting called isn't the worst.

We could call to peel one, but the thing that sucks is we stick 25% on our stack in here and have to fold misses on the turn. If we move in, we get both cards.

How often are we facing a set or a straight if we move in. Those are the only holdings that really harm our equity. I don't think we're against two pair often. And we are a favorite against any one pair hands here. Assuming no one is playing anything better than 88 this way.

I really don't know what to do,. If I feel both players are bluffy I jam here. If I have to respect either bet, I probably peel, but I probably should just pass.

Tough spot from my view.

Well it's just fold or jam now. Just depends weather you want to risk your tourney on a draw.

SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets 2K, guy who was previously chip leader with over 100K but now has about 65K raises to 8K.

Pot: 19,400

Hero has 33K left, Hero jams all-in. UTG folds, guy in MP convinces himself that all I have is a flush draw and calls off half his stack with :5c::6s: as a 60/40 underdog lol

My thought process was to do what you did, Anthony. I don’t want to bet and fold out anyone here. I’m more than happy to check-jam as we have significant equity against 55, 33, and 22, not to mention that we’re blocking other players’ hands with our :4d:. I also agree with what @JustinInMN said. If we shove we get both the turn and river whereas if we flat and brick, we’re in a situation where 1/4 of our stack is gone and half of our equity just went out the window.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom