Flattening Warped Chips (1 Viewer)

Aight! Told the wife I got it for the winter/cramps, but I get first dibs on using the heating pad.
20231125_200714.jpg

20231125_205425.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, nope. Seems slightly better but no silver bullet. Ill try it again when I have more time but after 15 minutes of heat then an hour in the clamp, still quite a few spinners. Going to press 10 at a time because it seemed to improve half the barrel.

Okay, nope. Seems slightly better but no silver bullet. Ill try it again when I have more time but after 15 minutes of heat then an hour in the clamp, still quite a few spinners. Going to press 10 at a time because it seemed to improve half the barrel.
Ohhhh. You're trying to flatten ceramics? Thats a different animal. Might need more heat but that will risk the print/ink. We need more info on this from a materials expert.

Ohhhh. You're trying to flatten ceramics? Thats a different animal. Might need more heat but that will risk the print/ink. We need more info on this from a materials expert.

As someone who has tried this - posted briefly in another thread somewhere here - I would use caution as I got ink transfer. Fortunately I tried it on "spares".

(@NotRealNameNoSir) If you really want to do this I would absolutely do 2 things:-

1. Separate the chips with either paper or blanks to prevent ink transfer between them.
2. Put something solid, that is wider than the chips, between the end chips and the clamp . You need to apply equal pressure across the whole face not just the center as in the pictures above.

Good luck.

As someone who has tried this - posted briefly in another thread somewhere here - I would use caution as I got ink transfer. Fortunately I tried it on "spares".

(@NotRealNameNoSir) If you really want to do this I would absolutely do 2 things:-

1. Separate the chips with either paper or blanks to prevent ink transfer between them.
2. Put something solid, that is wider than the chips, between the end chips and the clamp . You need to apply equal pressure across the whole face not just the center as in the pictures above.

Good luck.
Appreciated! I'll keep experimenting. Have tons of extra nickels so I'll be trying them eventually.

Not sure if there's any already floating around but I threw together a model for holding two stacks of 10 39mm chips for flattening with 43mm spacers.

Fair warning: I am only just printing this now, so it hasn't been tested to see if the tolerances are good. Will update once it's finished.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6240852

Attachments

• chip_flattener.PNG
    chip_flattener.PNG
    171.1 KB · Views: 39
Not sure if there's any already floating around but I threw together a model for holding two stacks of 10 39mm chips for flattening with 43mm spacers.

Fair warning: I am only just printing this now, so it hasn't been tested to see if the tolerances are good. Will update once it's finished.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6240852
Aaand, I would not reccommend printing this. Fits my bike tire chips just fine, but the 43mm are way too snug and need a bit more room. Chips measured at 3.3mm thick, I set the gap to 3.5mm but clearly my printer aint that precise.

Is @BR Pro Poker still the best source of blanks? And is there a good source of the flattening racks?

Also I see literally no mention of TRKs in this thread? Any thoughts on those. I intend to go the heating pad approach because the wife picked up brand new fancy heating pad.

These babies are on a long restorative journey and flattening is a necessary stop!
IMG_4947.jpeg

Is @BR Pro Poker still the best source of blanks?
There might be others, but he is great, they are cheap, he will have them to you quickly, and they work. What more do you want?

And is there a good source of the flattening racks?
to me, there could be nothing better than the PVC tubing that I posted about. Pretty sure 1.5" cut in half the long way. Maybe 6" in length. It took me no more than 30 seconds and it was free.

...Also I see literally no mention of TRKs in this thread? Any thoughts on those....
I have roughly 1000 TRK's & none have ever needed it. I'm sure there are some warped ones out there. Never tried them, but I would imagine it's exactly the same process.

...I intend to go the heating pad approach because the wife picked up brand new fancy heating pad........
It's the best approach 140 F is all you need

I have roughly 1000 TRK's & none have ever needed it. I'm sure there are some warped ones out there. Never tried them, but I would imagine it's exactly the same process.
Thank you! Re: TRKs, you can see from my photo the existence of some that need it. Any sense on how they handle temperature vs the others? 140 still good? It seems like the difference ASMs vs Paulsons is quite large

Thank you! Re: TRKs, you can see from my photo the existence of some that need it. Any sense on how they handle temperature vs the others? 140 still good? It seems like the difference ASMs vs Paulsons is quite large
I have flattened quite a few chips.... several thousand and murdered 10's of thousands of chips and the best advice I can give is "go slow" as in just a few chips 1,2,3 on your first go around with any of this stuff and then if you screw it up you are only ruining a few chips.

If it was me, I would still go with 140F. That isn't very warm and go with light pressure. Inspect the chips with a loop once they have cooled an hour or so. Damage could be "light" damage, but you want no evidence whatsoever other than flatter chips.

I’ve got a rack of AS $100 that stacks quite wobbly,
and i saw this thread here.
I tried a freestyle version of the pro-method you use:
2 small tin boxes, baking paper and a clamp.
Stack them in the tin and clamp it.
Not too firm not too loose.
15 min @ 65C/150F in the oven.
Cool down 15-20 min on the counter.

And the result is amazing!
They stack like bricks - no wobbling at all!

Thanks a lot for this great hack!

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpeg
    IMG_5340.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 53
I’ve got a rack of AS $100 that stacks quite wobbly,
and i saw this thread here.
I tried a freestyle version of the pro-method you use:
2 small tin boxes, baking paper and a clamp.
Stack them in the tin and clamp it.
Not too firm not too loose.
15 min @ 65C/150F in the oven.
Cool down 15-20 min on the counter.

And the result is amazing!
They stack like bricks - no wobbling at all!

Thanks a lot for this great hack!

I did the other 4 barrels the same way, and i‘m pretty happy with the result.
The chips had no label - maybe there would be a difference, i don‘t know…

3 barrels stacked wobbles like 1 barrel before.
It‘s not perfect but way better!

The second barrel i tried with less pressure and it wobbles a bit more than the others.

I repeated the process with even pressure and now they‘re all the same, definately flatter chips!

A generic heating pad on high ( pad says it is 142-168 degrees Fahrenheit.View attachment 604363
This was a great tip for my Cercle Clichy ceramics (unknown factory)

I used a heating pad full of seeds.
4 minutes to the microwave (tested with less time but not efficient).
Put 2 barrels inside the hot fur for 3/4 min.
Chips are hot enough. Be sure they are really hot. This is needed to be flattened enough

Then compression without paper in between for 4 hours. (tested with paper but compression is not as firm).
No color transfer for what i have seen.
Job done !!

Now 1,260 still remains ...

PS : will use blank ceramics when I can find some for reasonnable price (EU)

IMG_20240320_092431.jpg

IMG_20240320_092439.jpg

IMG_20240320_092609.jpg

IMG_20240320_092623.jpg

Last edited:
This was a great tip for my Cercle Clichy ceramics (unknown factory)

I used a heating pad full of seeds.
4 minutes to the microwave (tested with less time but not efficient).
Put 2 barrels inside the hot fur for 3/4 min.
Chips are hot enough.

Then compression without paper in between for 4 hours. (tested with paper but compression is not as firm).
No color transfer for what i have seen.
Job done !!

Now 1,260 still remains ...

PS : will use blank ceramics when I can find some for reasonnable price (EU)

View attachment 1295915
View attachment 1295916
View attachment 1295917
View attachment 1295919
You’re flattening ceramic chips?

Here’s the way I’ve been flattening used HSI chips with great success. A generic heating pad on high ( pad says it is 142-168 degrees Fahrenheit.View attachment 604363
Lay 10 chips at a time in a single layer on 1/2 of the pad.
View attachment 604366
Fold over the pad, avoiding a sharp crease in the pad.
View attachment 604367Heat for 10 minutes, sometimes holding the top of the pad down for good contact.

View attachment 604375Remove the chips and then using ceramic blanks, carefully align them and clamp in a hand clamp (very snugly but not SUPER tight). I used colored DDLM ceramics with no color transfer on either the ceramic or the HSI chips. Blank ceramics would be preferable if available to remove all possibility.

Let cool 1-2 hours. Flat chips!
So I just purchased the heating pad and clamps, I contacted @BR Pro Poker for 43 mm ceramic blanks (10), I have other ceramic blanks (super mario world and and Tiki's but they are only 39 mm).

I should wait for the 43 correct?

I was thinking I would put parchment paper between the ceramic blanks and the warped chips, but probably not worth it?

So I just purchased the heating pad and clamps, I contacted @BR Pro Poker for 43 mm ceramic blanks (10), I have other ceramic blanks (super mario world and and Tiki's but they are only 39 mm).

I should wait for the 43 correct?

I was thinking I would put parchment paper between the ceramic blanks and the warped chips, but probably not worth it?
Paper between is not necessary. You could use 39mm spacers, but all the chips need to be perfectly aligned. I have dropped them into a rack before clamping to align them, but sometimes a chip or two moves and you need to do it again.
Just as important is that you use very little pressure. Just enough that the chips don’t fall out of the clamp. Don’t crank down on the barrel of chips at all.
When the chips are soft like that, you can actually flatten the group with your hands, you just won’t be able to hold it long enough to cool…that’s how little pressure is needed.

Paper between is not necessary. You could use 39mm spacers, but all the chips need to be perfectly aligned. I have dropped them into a rack before clamping to align them, but sometimes a chip or two moves and you need to do it again.
Just as important is that you use very little pressure. Just enough that the chips don’t fall out of the clamp. Don’t crank down on the barrel of chips at all.
When the chips are soft like that, you can actually flatten the group with your hands, you just won’t be able to hold it long enough to cool…that’s how little pressure is needed.
Well I should’ve bought the hand crank like you were instructing, but I bought the the Bessie -LHS-10 and I just realized that CVS gave me the wrong heating pad… even though I paid more for same day delivery and they kept the more expensive pricing…

I have a bulk order of blank ceramics coming soon. Pretty sure I should be able to beat most if not everyone's prices once they come.
I will also be offering a kit with the flattening rack in 39mm size with 43mm ceramics with or without the wood clamp.
43mm size with 46mm ceramics will be also offered at a slight price increase.

I have a bulk order of blank ceramics coming soon. Pretty sure I should be able to beat most if not everyone's prices once they come.
I will also be offering a kit with the flattening rack in 39mm size with 43mm ceramics with or without the wood clamp.
43mm size with 46mm ceramics will be also offered at a slight price increase.
I already ordered 11 black ceramics 43 mm...
When is the kit with the flattening rack available?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom