Flattening success! (1 Viewer)

AK Chip

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Starting with a cold oven, set clamped chips in the oven and turn temp to 170 set timer for 25 minutes remove chips when timer goes off. Let cool and remove from the clamp. This has worked for both CPC and Paulson chips.

Middle purple barrel turned out pretty good.
BBD6CB4B-7C04-4BB2-80E6-F9B939FC4D15.jpeg

627A0003-85AB-443A-B052-CBF000BCAC1C.jpeg

353A3149-F24C-432A-81A5-C0EB570AB87D.jpeg

46493B7F-73E0-434A-9A57-0660D8A156DD.jpeg

We do 11 minutes set @ 170 Pat. No squished chips yet? We also always allow 2 full hours before removing the clamps. I plan to buy a 150 deg heating pad and trying that. Seems safer as many times we have to run them 2 - 3 times through on the really warped ones. @150 F and letting it run for a half hour as opposed to 11 minutes @ 170 just seems like more heat can soak in as opposed to too much heat at the outer extremities of the chip.

They definitely look much better! Congratulations buddy, but again careful! It doesn't take much to start pushing the hats back into the clay.

We do 11 minutes set @ 170 Pat. No squished chips yet? We also always allow 2 full hours before removing the clamps. I plan to buy a 150 deg heating pad and trying that. Seems safer as many times we have to run them 2 - 3 times through on the really warped ones. @150 F and letting it run for a half hour as opposed to 11 minutes @ 170 just seems like more heat can soak in as opposed to too much heat at the outer extremities of the chip.

They definitely look much better! Congratulations buddy, but again careful! It doesn't take much to start pushing the hats back into the clay.
I haven't timed how much of the 25 minutes it takes the oven to get to 170, I suspect it might be around 7-8 minutes. I haven't seen any squished chips yet, but haven't worked with Paulson's much. I like your eleven minutes starting at 170 idea, it takes forever for the oven to cool down before I can start my next batch.

Starting with a cold oven, set clamped chips in the oven and turn temp to 170 set timer for 25 minutes remove chips when timer goes off. Let cool and remove from the clamp. This has worked for both CPC and Paulson chips.

Middle purple barrel turned out pretty good.
View attachment 811541
View attachment 811542
View attachment 811546

View attachment 811547

Congrats, what type of CPC chips are you flattening?

I have yet to find the right temp/time combo for ASM/CPC chips to avoid the squished effect.

Congrats, what type of CPC chips are you flattening?

I have yet to find the right temp/time combo for ASM/CPC chips to avoid the squished effect.
Mostly Amold chips. I have always used the starting from a cold oven, `place chips in and turn oven on to 170. Chips stay in for 20 minutes total. I guessing and will time it later that the chips are in the oven at 170 for 12-13 minutes. Hope this makes sense, still early here.

Mostly Amold chips. I have always used the starting from a cold oven, `place chips in and turn oven on to 170. Chips stay in for 20 minutes total. I guessing and will time it later that the chips are in the oven at 170 for 12-13 minutes. Hope this makes sense, still early here.
We need to send a bag of Death Wish Coffee up to Alaska for you Pat! Once you get drinking that stuff and hour of sleep each night is all you need! Lol

Are you clamping the chips for any particular amount of time before heating.

I'm using the heating pad method because I can't keep my oven set continuous at the lower temps but I don't believe the heat source makes that much difference (maybe it does). I've had squishing on Romans & HH molds at 130f for 10 minutes and I've tried clamping the chips both prior to and after heating but I've always waited til the heating pad is up to temp before putting the chips in/wrapping (ie: not starting from a cold oven like you are). Maybe letting them heat gradually is the key I'm missing.

Watching with interest as I've not had good success yet with ASM/CPC chips and I have a few that need it.

I think I have a few warped romans. I'll give it a try and write down every step i make as well as time the oven as the heat gets up to temp.

I see a lot of people are using blank ceramics for the clamping. But I'm wondering, would it be possible to use wood or plywood instead? Or mdf?

No, wood warps way too much
Would that really be an issue here though? The way I see it, if you have say 10 chips sandwiched between 11 wooden blocks, and under pressure... How would it be possible for the wood to warp? Assuming squared up pieces and about twice the thickness of the chips. The main force should just go towards flattening the chips as the heat relieves the internal stresses, or am I missing something here?

I think wood blocks could work, as not much pressure is needed, but you’ll need to get the blocks and the chips in line so that there’s even pressure.
Also, be careful if there is any wood grain, it will telegraph into the chip.

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

I'll look into what I can do with wood, or possibly concrete. Depends on how pricey the ceramic blanks end up being with shipping and all :)

Concrete sounds horrifying on chips... lol ceramic blanks are like a quarter a piece

That cheap huh? Well in that case I guess there's nothing to worry about, I'm just waiting for a response on the price :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom