Flattening chips - question

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
They came out great!
I used 39 mm ceramics that I had laying around. I have blanks on order, but it looks like any random ceramics will do. Looking at the chips under high magnification, post flattening I see no evidence whatsoever that the 39mm blanks left any sort of ridge or flattened out any of the cross hatching so I am sticking to the 39 mm ceramics vs 43 which seems to me would be tough to line up without some sort of device like the 43mm ribbed chip flattening rack. That seems unnecessary to me... whatever works, right?
I use 39mm ceramics as spacers and drop a barrel of 10 chips and 10 spacers into a rack to line them up. Then clamp.

Nanook

Straight
Reaction score
I use 39mm ceramics as spacers and drop a barrel of 10 chips and 10 spacers into a rack to line them up. Then clamp.
yea, only reason to use the 1.5" PVC cut in half to line things up is if you want to do more than 10 at a time (20 total including the spacers fit on a rack) With the PVC idea, you can do at least 2x as many at a time, maybe more.

Nanook

Straight
Reaction score
I can't find it now, but someone mentioned that even the new JACK's had some warping on the $25's so I decided to check & sure enough some of them are warped. If you hold them up to the light and you see light between some of the chips then there are some that are warped. Anyway, checked lots of other chips both new and used from TCR recent sales & even old leaded Paulson H&C's. Here are some of my findings:

Short Version - They are all warped!

Long Version:

JACK Cinci
$1's Used - Lots of Warped Chips
$2's Used - Some Warped Chips
$2.50's Used - Lots of Warped Chips
$5's Used - Lots of Warped Chips
$5's New - Some Warped Chips
$25's Used - Lots of Warped Chips
$25's New - Some Warped Chips
$100's New Secondary - Some Warped Chips
$500 New Primary - Some Warped Chips

HSI, HS Cinci, etc
I was going to do the same, but I think you get the pattern....
Just about every Paulson chip has some warping issues. I know that I will get some grief for this, because Paulson's are the holy grail of Poker chips, but I have always thought Paulson chips stack like crap (compared to the BJ S2's in my local card room) in a live card room. I always thought it was just because how they wear unevenly etc, but now I KNOW why: they are all warped!

The Good news is that they can all be fixed and flattened relatively easily, inexpensively and quickly with no evidence of flattening at all.

Top Bottom