Cash Game Fixed limit 7 card stud questions (1 Viewer)

Mojo1312

Full House
Reaction score
Is a buy-in of $100 to $200 adequate for $3/$6?

Is the above buy-in amounts better suited for a $2/$4 game.

If so, should the ante be lowered from .50 to .25?

Finally, does anyone play fixed limit where the BB is greater than 2x the SB? Like $2/$5 for example.

I play 2/4 stud in my HORSE game. The buy-in there is $100. I think $200 is good for 3/6.

So... 2/4 are not the blinds... they are the betting levels for the various streets. First round of betting (third street) and second round (fourth street) are the small bet. The big bet is fifth thru seventh street.

Now if you're asking if the bets can be 2/5... I don't see why not. May be slight strategy change... but should work.

no - typical buy-in is 50 big bets.

yes, see above.

I would go with 25c ante and $1 bring-in for both 2/4 and 3/6. A $2 button ante also works, and eliminates the need for fracs.

Finally, does anyone play fixed limit where the BB is greater than 2x the SB? Like $2/$5 for example.
I have not. Makes it difficult to have a two-chip/four-chip game, which is the best ficed-limit configuration imo.

In the few games I've been hosting, I recommend buying in for +25x the BB, no less than 20x. And we use button ante, but the ante per player is just about 10% of BB.
Can't say I've done this, but I'll figure the most significant change would be pot odds in the later streets.

Ante size of $0.50 is good for $3/$6 or for $2/$4. A $0.25 ante wouldn't be bad either, but I'd prefer the $0.50 myself. As a rule of thumb, you want your antes to add up to one small bet, give or take. Less than that, and it encourages nitty play. (n) :thumbsdown: More, and it encourages looser and more aggressive play. (y) :thumbsup: Up to you.

Highly recommend going the extra step and making it a dealer ante of the amount of the small bet to keep it simple. It'll be a little too big if you go short-handed, but you can always adjust if that happens.

As @Shaggy said, $200 is fine for $3/$6 (I'd say $100 is a little short). @BGinGA is just trying to make people put tons of chips on the table. Buying in for 50 big bets in way more than you need to play right. Such fun chip mountains, though.

You could do $2 and $5 betting limits if you want, but it'd be unusual. More common with low-stakes Stud is spread limit, say $1–5, $2–6, or $3–10, where you can bet/raise any amount within the specified ranges in any betting round. You could also do a structure like $2/$4/$6 or $2/$4/$8, where the third limit is an extra-large bet on seventh street only.

True, I like lots of chips on the table when playing limit (hence 2-chip/4-chip games with 50 big bets), but it also cuts down on reloads during the first part of the game -- a single fully-capped limit hand can cost from 12 to 16 big bets total. I like having more than a two-hand cushion. :)

Appreciate the responses.

Plan on hosting a mixed game after Labor Day. Four hands of $1/$1 NLHE, followed by four hands of $1/$1 PLO and four hands of $3/$6 FL7CS with a $100 to $200 buy-in.

Basically, I am concerned whether the min buy-in might be too small. ($2/$4, everyone is going to stay.)

I am also worried that I may lose a player or two if I bump the amount of the buy-in to $125 to $250.

My standard HORSE limit game is $3/6 with a half kill to $4/8.

Small blind $1
Big blinds $3

Stud
Bring in $1, complete to $3, ante .25, Which in an 8 handed game totals $2. I don't think you want the antes to be more than what the complete is.

Std buyin is $100, though because it's limit I buyin for $125 and take the entire rack of quarters which I slowly put into the pot so that by the time we get to the stud games with antes, most people have a few in their stack.

Scoop is a kill, non-split games, you have to win two in a row. I don't have a minimum pot qualifier because I hate counting the pots - it just wastes time. The only other qualifier is you have to see a flop or 4th Street. IE kill doesn't qualify if you win by everyone folding preflop.

$100 buyin for limit is plenty. Especially since you are only playing limit for 4 hands before rotating. However if you are running $1/1 blinds for plo/nl, I find $100 kind of low.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom