Cash Game First Ever Fixed Limit Night (1 Viewer)

The main reason I favor full rounds as @buzzmonkey does is that it limits time lost in explanations. It probably takes a minute or two to explain a game to players that aren't sure, at least you get 6-7 hands out of the explanation if everyone has to deal it. If you are changing games with every single hand, you might be moving to a point where you may only be spending half your night playing and half your night explaining. Just something to bring up if you want to try and introduce the concept to the group again.
It also minimizes the advantage any one player has in regards to posting blinds or antes depending on how you do so. Plus, I find with newer games you're more likely to get people to actually enjoy the new games once they get the hang of it as Justin implied above.

I have a game coming up which I intend to be dealers choice. So far we have done only Holdem & Omaha variants, so it's all been NL or PL with 25c/50c blinds and $100 buy in cap. It took the guys a while to adjust to PL but they are doing great with it now.

But I know one of the players is going to want to deal stud. I don't mind stud games and would be happy to allow them however I'm not sure the best way to structure it in. I'm a little concerned that mixing in a fixed limit betting structure will throw people off, as I can almost guarantee most of them are not familiar. Maybe it's not so bad. Looking for recommendations:
  1. Allow stud, play as fixed limit 2/4, 25c ante, $1 bring in
  2. Allow stud, play as PL, 50c dealer table ante, 25c bring in
  3. Don't allow stud, too complicated. Stick to flop games for now until they learn FL some other time
  4. Other?
I have plenty of extra quarters/ones which I'd probably put out to help accommodate some fixed limit hands if I went that route.
I would not allow stud, I would allow 7 stud hi low 8 or better.

Stud hi plays too slow. If you play a full round of it and someone isn’t interested in it, it can feel like forever.

I would (if you have 6 or less players) play super stud 7 O8

Basically 4 cards to start down and 1 up, must discard 2 hole cards.

The game plays stronger hands but more action, and a bit more fun.

Stud hi plays too slow. If you play a full round of it and someone isn’t interested in it, it can feel like forever.

Agreed. Stud fell flat when I introduced it. I’ve played a few variants that seem to get more action. I’m introducing Southside this weekend, hoping the spade in the hole action keeps people guessing and things lively.

1694458613019.png

Play pl Tahoe pitch n roll, instead of stud limit. Then you won't have to switch limits.

I'm expecting 8 or 9 for the first few hours, then we usually lose a few and play 5-7 handed for the second leg. So probably start out just 2/3/4 flop games until the herd thins a little before bringing in the rest of these games.

More and more I'm leaning towards dictating a particular stud variant, one that can be readily played PL with a button table ante. Maybe mississippi, or Tahoe pitch and roll sounds fun, and feels kinda like a pineapple equivalent to stud.

And while I love split pot games, I might hold off on those as none of my crew knows them. My circus tent is still small! :LOL: :laugh:

And while I love split pot games, I might hold off on those as none of my crew knows them. My circus tent is still small! :LOL: :laugh:
My crew didn’t either, so I spent a session on fundamentals and then added some basic elements and they caught on. Hi/low and double board variants were quickly loved.

My crew didn’t either, so I spent a session on fundamentals and then added some basic elements and they caught on. Hi/low and double board variants were quickly loved.

Exactly, I want to get these in but I don't want to do too much too fast. I will save these for another time perhaps.

Half my crew still hasn't played anything but Holdem...it's taken me a year to get more than two cards out but I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere :D

I was listening to an old "Top Pair Home Poker" podcast the other day and they made mention of a No Limit HORSE game. That will put hair on your chest!
For a few years over a decade ago, I ran a HORS poker tournament league (12 events plus Championship), consisting of three tournaments each of No-Limit Hold'em, Pot-Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, Fixed-Limit Razz, and Fixed-Limit Stud Hi/Lo. It was a way to draw new old-school players into the group, while introducing new poker games/styles to the existing NLHE-only players.

The players with the highest league points for each game grouping plus the players at the top of the overall points standings all advanced to the free-roll Championship game, which consisted of all four games rotated per orbit.

The league eventually fell out of favor as circus games started becoming popular, but we still occasionaĺy run the HORS championship format as a stand-alone tournament event (along with a similar HOSS format -- NLHE, PLO8, Stud8, Scrotum Hi/Lo).

No reason either format can't also be used for a cash game rotation; just don't periodically increase the blinds or ante/bet sizes.

Last edited:
We finally got a stud night on the calendar. Smaller group 6,
Games we have on the docket to try

7 card stud
Chicago/San Fran
Tahoe pitch and roll

Set limit holdem

5 card draw. Should we play No limit or limit? It would be the only no limit game

Probably pot limit Omaha.

I’d like to add one more game

Recommendations?

Really everyone only plays holdem but it’s not too much to learn???

All limit, all the time. If these are learning games, then I would definitely recommend limit at least the first time so no one feels screwed if they make an error.

My crew loves double board games.

7 card stud
Chicago/San Fran
Tahoe pitch and roll

Set limit holdem

5 card draw. Should we play No limit or limit? It would be the only no limit game

Recommendations?

All limit, all the time. If these are learning games, then I would definitely recommend limit at least the first time so no one feels screwed if they make an error.

Game recommendations:
Razz (everyone’s least favorite game, but so good)
Southside (introducing it this weekend, simple twist should spur more action)

7 card stud
Chicago/San Fran
Tahoe pitch and roll

Set limit holdem

Recommendations?

I’d recommend limit 2-7 Triple draw in place of 5 card draw if you want to keep every game as limit.

7 card stud
Chicago/San Fran
Tahoe pitch and roll

Set limit holdem

Recommendations?

I like razz too!

My crew doesn’t care about strategy, so we saw a lot of draws and showdowns that shouldn’t have been. Fun, though… and that’s what counts most for me.
How have I not seen this, I’ve watched his stud and limit video a dozen times.

How would you run 1 chip 2 chip limit? Want to try a mixed game limit night with my group, but don't want to commit to buying a 800+ chip set if it ends up being a dud. I have about 600 quarters between sets, which is enough to give everyone 60-80 chips. Thinking some Omaha 8, 2-7 triple draw, badugi, a 7 card stud variant, and maybe hold 'em. I'd do small blind and big blind both equal to the small bet, and for stud just make the bring in a fixed opening bet of one chip. Not ideal, but it seems like the best compromise to me.

How would you run 1 chip 2 chip limit? Want to try a mixed game limit night with my group, but don't want to commit to buying a 800+ chip set if it ends up being a dud. I have about 600 quarters between sets, which is enough to give everyone 60-80 chips. Thinking some Omaha 8, 2-7 triple draw, badugi, a 7 card stud variant, and maybe hold 'em. I'd do small blind and big blind both equal to the small bet, and for stud just make the bring in a fixed opening bet of one chip. Not ideal, but it seems like the best compromise to me.
You can use a cash set as well. You use the same fixed betting structure but will see more chips in the pot (quarters, dollars, fives) and more change making is all.

If you run a 6-max, the 600 quarters are perfect. You can use $5s and value chips for when people re-buy, and the re-buys can distribute them among the bigger stacks.

As for buying a set: I bought a few temporary sets, a very cheap flower mold set, a nice B&G set, and an Alibaba set to help me dial in and validate I could build a limit crew. Once I was good, I ordered a non-denom limit set from CPC and sold off the others.

I usually play 6-max, but ended up with 7 last night. I broke out my non-denom value chips for the first time, but then swapped them out for some $5 chips I made as a test run for another set. I found the denomination on the value chip was good to have the first time we used value chips. No confusion, easy cash out. You could use existing $5 or even $20 chips as value chips on a limit set, based on the limit chip value- they don’t have to be the perfect 20x chip.

It's not ideal to run 1- chip 2-chip but it can be done.

For blind games the blinds would be 1 chip-1-chip unless you have chips in play that would be a fraction of the 1 chip denomination.

For ante games you might have to get creative with a table ante (suggest 3 chips) or something.

But you can do it for sure.

but don't want to commit to buying a 800+ chip set if it ends up being a dud.
Some relatively inexpensive sets:
Thread 'ABCPRO Limit Set'
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/abcpro-limit-set.109797/

Thread 'Sahara Dunes $1 limit set'
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/sahara-dunes-1-limit-set.106208/

There are others that don’t show closed, so I don’t know if they times out or if the seller didn’t update.

You can also go Alibaba for 32¢/chip and use a non-personal design that would resell.

Some relatively inexpensive sets:
Thread 'ABCPRO Limit Set'
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/abcpro-limit-set.109797/

Thread 'Sahara Dunes $1 limit set'
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/sahara-dunes-1-limit-set.106208/

There are others that don’t show closed, so I don’t know if they times out or if the seller didn’t update.

You can also go Alibaba for 32¢/chip and use a non-personal design that would resell.
Seen both those searching for sets. Not the biggest parks and rec fan, but those dunes are a bit tempting, especially since with the stamps so worn they can easily be subbed for any denomination.

Last night we ended up mixing in seven card stud. We were playing dealers choice .50/.50 and went with fixed limit stud, .50 ante, .50 bring in, 2/4. It went over just fine and people seemed to like it. The size felt just about right, maybe a little on the small side but that's sort of to be expected.

I took the opportunity and dealt a round of razz. It's actually a lot more fun than I remember it being. But more importantly, now they know what a low hand is so I can start mixing in PLO8 and other hi lo games.

Fun!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom