Fat Tire Blog (1 Viewer)

Yes, but I grew up in Wisconsin. Iowans snack on meat, too?
Yeah! Sliced meets, little smokies, venison summer sausage, beef summer sausage, raccoon summer sausage...

Hard not to include the results of my poker sessions, but those results dont always include end-of-night chip counts... most of my tourneys include food donation bonuses for non perishable items brought for donating to the local food pantry. We do live in an affluent area, but according to the food pantry staff, there are many very needy families who often get overlooked due to assumptions that our community doesn’t want for much.

One of my favorite parts of poker (and life in general) is giving back. I love that my kids get to participate. Here’s Evan helping drop off food after our last tourney. (Ps. If you’ve seen previous pics of the food drop off, they've moved to a new location, so it looks different).

EC2A4510-2DC6-4ED9-8A33-87DFB91F6421.jpeg

Hosting my deep freeze tourney tonight. (Deep stack, freeze out format). Name might possibly have been influenced y the sub zero temps we’ve experienced this past month.

On deck are my Fat Tire tourney set (15k stacks, after all bonuses factored), and the LCO cash chips. I posted a “poll” in my event invite page and the players voted unanimously to put the LCO chips into play tonight. Thus I have 8 pre-made starting stack tubes ready to go. I plan to still be crushing the tourney, so this makes it easy for me issue cash chips to folks with minimal distractions or delays of the tourney.

I’m about to make my normal pregame Costco run for supplies. Im Starving so maybe I better eat lunch before hand, else I come home with more crappy food that I don’t need.

Hosting my deep freeze tourney tonight. (Deep stack, freeze out format). Name might possibly have been influenced y the sub zero temps we’ve experienced this past month.

On deck are my Fat Tire tourney set (15k stacks, after all bonuses factored), and the LCO cash chips. I posted a “poll” in my event invite page and the players voted unanimously to put the LCO chips into play tonight. Thus I have 8 pre-made starting stack tubes ready to go. I plan to still be crushing the tourney, so this makes it easy for me issue cash chips to folks with minimal distractions or delays of the tourney.

I’m about to make my normal pregame Costco run for supplies. Im Starving so maybe I better eat lunch before hand, else I come home with more crappy food that I don’t need.

View attachment 245927

View attachment 245928
So bummed I have to miss this. Sending lots of run good!

View attachment 245927

View attachment 245928

If you're smart you'll get one of those hot dog sandwiches for $1.50.

Another night in the books... busted the tourney on the FT bubble. And hit the cash game pretty early on. Played until 5am. I was in for $100 and cashed out for $113... meh. We started the night playing mostly NLHE, but ended playing PLO for several hours. Lots of interesting hands And action. Really fun group.

Introduced a few new players. They were super fun... well, except for this woman who was part of another poker group I attend, she was only sorta fun. Lol. This lady is nice and all, but had some etiquette issues... she’d slow roll constantly, and would throw a fit when she perceived people (me) were marginalizing her, by acting ahead of her out of turn (she was to my direct right). she often held her cards up off the table... or had so many small piles of chips in front of her (literally up to the betting line) that when her cards were on the table in front of her, I assume they’re mucked since they’re past the betting line. When I’d explain that she was missed because I had no clue she was still in the hand, she’d get defensive. She made several insinuations that she was missed because she was a woman and not being taken seriously at the table... she is very quirky and socially awkward, but I knew this before inviting her... Oh well. Nice enough person, but her other poker group walks on eggshells with her because she’s a horrible player and big donor to their game... I wish they’d have spent some more time trying to educate on proper etiquette. When I did so, I got accused of trying to “mansplain” things to her... :rolleyes:

We had the hotdog roller grill in play, and it was a big hit. Although I did experience some of the breaker tripping issues like I did a while back. After a while, it seemed to work itself out and pumped out delish dawgs for most of the night. However, I still can’t get the rollers to stay clean, and they have a baked on crust that I’m sure will require an hour of scrubbing to get off... debating the merits of the roller grill if I have to deal with baked on char every time. It seems like there’s no middle ground when it comes to temps. If it’s “on” and heating (even at its lowest setting), it’ll scorch the dogs if left on too long. Maybe I have a faulty temp or heating element or something? Only happens with the front rollers. I’ll post a pic later. Maybe I need to chat with the folks at 7-11 or Kwik Trip and ask how they Lee their digs rolling all day long without scorching them?

We also collected a bunch of food for the local food pantry again. I really enjoy this aspect of hosting. :).

We had the LCO chips in play, and they were a big hit. The players really seemed to appreciate them (especially a couple of the newer players to the game). I did get one player comment on the height differences between the $1 and $5 chips. It’s slight (< 1/4 chip at 20 stacked) and the comment was in regards to being unsure of his exact chip count due the stacks being uneven.. noteworthy, but not overly concerning.

Last edited:
We were at a home expo, and ran into a booth with a metal artist... he had tons of great art, but this gem caught my eye... Though the version he displayed had the word “happy” spelled out under the bike... lame. He agreed to do a custom piece and change the wording to FAT TIRE... yup, shippit!

New Game room artwork is ordered on should be here in a week. Here’s one similar, from his website.

Hmmm. I may have to reach back out to the artist and get a couple of these made as MTTD trophies... ideas are popping into my head ras I type this....

Ok I reached out to the artist, and assuming I don’t get charged $150 per sign, I’ll order up something like this for both 1st and 2nd places...

Last edited:
The artist just sent me a photo of the bike he created. According to him, since my theme was “Fat Tire” he took the creative license I gave him and made the tires fatter. Wow. I had contemplated asking him to do this, but didn’t want to push it (so I didn’t ask).

The fatter tires look way better. He’s also working on custom trophies for the MTTD... so stoked.

We had the hotdog roller grill in play, and it was a big hit. Although I did experience some of the breaker tripping issues like I did a while back. After a while, it seemed to work itself out and pumped out delish dawgs for most of the night. However, I still can’t get the rollers to stay clean, and they have a baked on crust that I’m sure will require an hour of scrubbing to get off... debating the merits of the roller grill if I have to deal with baked on char every time. It seems like there’s no middle ground when it comes to temps. If it’s “on” and heating (even at its lowest setting), it’ll scorch the dogs if left on too long. Maybe I have a faulty temp or heating element or something? Only happens with the front rollers. I’ll post a pic later. Maybe I need to chat with the folks at 7-11 or Kwik Trip and ask how they Lee their digs rolling all day long without scorching them?

I have the same problem except for me it is the back rollers. If I turn the heat down to where to where the rollers don’t get gunked up they dogs don’t get hot enough.

Sure would like to figure this out also.

I have the same problem except for me it is the back rollers. If I turn the heat down to where to where the rollers don’t get gunked up they dogs don’t get hot enough.

Sure would like to figure this out also.

We need to combine our dawg rollers... obviously

Sign Artist sent me two pics. Both signs will have the words and bike in relief about 1” from the state background piece.

Which layout do you prefer:

Option 1
42DE007E-2887-4BD5-8A08-8B76CD0ADFF0.jpeg

Option 2
CEA68411-3411-40D1-938F-9B48D6739D5E.jpeg

Option 1 looks kinda like “eat tire”. Both are cool though. The dark letters look better.

Option 2 with the black letters (not connected) instead of silver. I guess it depends on where you want your focus; on the bike or the name.

In the earlier mockups, the bike was black... I liked that. But now that he’s cut the bike out I’m not gonna make him use another metal.

Option 1. If he could alter the lettering little. I do agree, it looks like “eat tire”. Whoever this guy is, has great craftsmanship and creativity.

Option 1. If he could alter the lettering little. I do agree, it looks like “eat tire”. Whoever this guy is, has great craftsmanship and creativity.

I don’t ghink I’ll be asking the artist to recut and remake the artwork. I might attempt to add some definition to the letters with a silver sharpie. Like this

Albeit ill be a little more precise

Don’t normally post my poker shenanigans outside of my game room, but I just finished my weekly Wednesday night game, this is 4 mins from my house, professionally run with nice cards, dealers, and tables... and they get 7+ tables. The skill level is actually very high. Many of the players are rec.. but many are semi pro to pro. Folks who travel around to various WSOP and MSPT circuit events every weekend. The level of players has always been high, but this last year, more of these semi pros have been dominating this weekly event... I went from 3 years of 40% cash rate in this event, to a solid year with zero cashes.. until tonight... game paid 8, but I got heads up with the monster chip leader and widdled him down some. Once we got even, he agreed to a chop (though we did do a random flip for bragging rights and I won). It was a very nice score, and couldn’t have come at a better time...

Early on in the event, I developed a quick chip lead at my table. Once we got down to 2 tables. I got coolered a couple of times and got very dangerously low. At one point down to 7bbs.

2586F4B2-3830-43DB-842B-3F2FEABC7216.jpeg

The chip leader busted a number of folks... including during this hand, where he flopped quad kings...

CC7C06B1-5C07-4E22-BD83-6EAADA29E5CF.jpeg

I Got lucky a few times, coupled with some timed aggression, and I navigated the ladder to get heads up. Once there, I played semi nitty at first, against a normally hyper agro player. I used my image to get several bluffs through, and also avoided a major pitfall when my opponent flopped trip Kings, and slow played them (actually his overacting saved me). So very glad to have broken the spell of run bad at this event.

93AA437B-3EC6-4ABD-9EA2-B6F572616CF1.jpeg

Congrats on the win!

...but semipros, seven tables, with readily available stock Showdowns? Your card capper alone is worth more than a table full of those chips. How do they handle security?

I suggest wrapping the rollers with aluminum foil (or other metallic foils...I've seen bronze and copper), held on with either copper wire or copper tape or some other method. You can try various #s of wraps/thicknesses if needed to ensure proper cooking. The aluminum will dissipate some of the heat and also keep the rollers clean.

Congrats on the win!

...but semipros, seven tables, with readily available stock Showdowns? Your card capper alone is worth more than a table full of those chips. How do they handle security?

Ya, the organizer actually runs a series of events around town. He hosts games on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, and Sun. All located a different bars around town. He also has toyed with the idea of customs, and has elicited my advice a few times to discuss custom designs... he purchased these chips against my advice. They’re horrible. When he first introduced them, people were constantly mistaking the 500 and 5k chips. Just plain dumb. Ya, and the security aspect is a whole separate issue.

Oddly enough I’d say that this group of local players is pretty trustworthy (to an extent). But they did announce last night a stern warning about people marking cards.. apparently they just replaced all the decks not long ago, and soon thereafter noticed a few cards that had greasy smudges on them. When they searched all the decks for smudged cards, they noticed the smudged cards were ALL the same cards (presumably the ACES)... WTF!

I’m guessing the chips could be vulnerable... but as often as these get used, any extra chips would be found out fairly quickly... and it’d only happen just once. But ya, it could happen. The chips suck.

Ya, the organizer actually runs a series of events around town. He hosts games on Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, and Sun. All located a different bars around town. He also has toyed with the idea of customs, and has elicited my advice a few times to discuss custom designs... he purchased these chips against my advice. They’re horrible. When he first introduced them, people were constantly mistaking the 500 and 5k chips. Just plain dumb. Ya, and the security aspect is a whole separate issue.

Oddly enough I’d say that this group of local players is pretty trustworthy (to an extent). But they did announce last night a stern warning about people marking cards.. apparently they just replaced all the decks not long ago, and soon thereafter noticed a few cards that had greasy smudges on them. When they searched all the decks for smudged cards, they noticed the smudged cards were ALL the same cards (presumably the ACES)... WTF!

I’m guessing the chips could be vulnerable... but as often as these get used, any extra chips would be found out fairly quickly... and it’d only happen just once. But ya, it could happen. The chips suck.
They might not need to look further than their own dealers who are marking the cards. That guy looks like he's trying to rip those things in half!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom