Family Options for Vegas? (1 Viewer)

trever

Flush
Reaction score
So I'm a scumbag, and am planning on taking my family to Vegas first week of June. (kids are 11 and 14)

Most likely we'll be staying at MonteCarlo (cheap, clean and connected to the poker room at Aria). I've already got a deal for 2 shows (blue man and one of the cirque's), so that angle is covered.

Anyone have advice on other family-friendly activities? I've been to Vegas a dozen times, but have never done anything except drink, gamble and get married, so I'm pretty much a total noob when it comes to everything else.

We'll want to hit the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon - should I rent a car and drive or just buy tours?

The helicopter tours are great.

I did a helicopter / rafting / skywalk tour last year, and it was fantastic. Got VIP treatment everywhere, very helpful tourguides. We were brought to Boulder City in a touringcar, hopped on the chopper, did a flyby the Hoover Dam. Then set down in the canyon, got on a motorized raft and went a ways up the Colorado River, and then drifted back down. Another chopper ride to the Skywalk, jumped the queue (also for the photos), got lots of time to take in the views on the Skywalk and on the edge of the canyon, and then a chopper ride back to BC.

Highly recommended.

Which Cirque show will you be going to?

Grand Canyon is far by car. Helo def a must.

Rent a car and drive to Hoover. Costcotravel.com is best if you are a member. Long tour sells out fast so get there early. Valley of Fire is another good drive.

Pirate show at TI is pretty sleazy but Mirage volcano is cool. NyNy coaster sucks but if you drive to Primm, Buffalo Bills had the worlds highest coaster at the time it was built, now I think it is still in the top 10.

I went horseback riding one time up in the mountains which was pretty cool. Check Groupon for deals.

Grand Canyon is far by car. Helo def a must.

Rent a car and drive to Hoover. Costcotravel.com is best if you are a member. Long tour sells out fast so get there early. Valley of Fire is another good drive.

Pirate show at TI is pretty sleazy but Mirage volcano is cool. NyNy coaster sucks but if you drive to Primm, Buffalo Bills had the worlds highest coaster at the time it was built, now I think it is still in the top 10.

I went horseback riding one time up in the mountains which was pretty cool. Check Groupon for deals.
Watch your pockets at the outdoor shows.

There's an awesome diner on Las Vegas Blvd. near the Riviera. It's called the Pepper Mill. Great food and probably the best prices in town.

Most of my recommendations will be car dependent and I don't know if you plan to rent a car or not. I'd almost call it a necessity if you are looking for for non-gambling stuff to do with the fam.

+1 on Hoover dam. Helicopter tours are great but pricey.

There is also the dolphin habitat at the Mirage and the Shark reef at Mandalay Bay. My kiddo loves animals so those were a hit for her.

If you have a car you can head to Red Rock canyon where even just the drive is pretty scenic. Of course you can also do some hiking there. If you're family is really outdoorsy you can always try and climb Mt Charleston, 8th highest peak in NV and the tallest around the LV area. There's quite a bit of hiking around here as well even if you don't go to the top.

The pinball hall of fame is also pretty cool since you can actually play the machines.

Of course a trip to the Pawn Stars pawn shop is cool if you watch the show.

If you're into museums and history there is the National Atomic Testing museum, again you'd need a car.

Lastly, and this is just if you or your kids happen to be aviation nerds, but there is a great parking lot just off Sunset where you can park and watch the arrivals and departures from McCarren. There's a fence that blocks great photo op's but still pretty cool to be so close. Grab your In and Out to go and you can eat up a few hours here. I took my wife once and surprisingly she thought it was cool.

I've actually had the most fun in Vegas when I was there with the kiddo; probably because it limits my losses at the tables lol. My ex's best friend lives there so we would go quite a bit and I was forced to find stuff to entertain the kiddo while the girls did their thing. LV is pretty family friendly now so I think you'll have fun and won't have any problems entertaining the kids.

Have fun!

Neon Museum is incredible if you're into Vegas history - I recommend booking in advance and going at night. Again, for great history, the Mob Museum is a lot of fun. Educational, interactive, very enjoyable. Make a trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower at Paris. Incredible views and great picture taking options. Finally, if you're into baseball, and they're playing at home, LV has a cool minor league team - the Las Vegas 51s. Mascot is an alien.

Have a great time!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom