Face vs Stack (1 Viewer)

binoclard

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

(I have almost titled this thread «Face vs Rack», but then I remembered this place is only frequented by classy gentlemen…)

In my quest for designing my perfect forever first custom set, browsing tons of amazing pictures of gorgeous sets, trying to absorb as much inspiration as possible and improve my flagrant lack of chips culture, all the while playing with the CPC design tool, I have noticed a couple weird things:

Tastes are fickle and whimsical creatures… What is loved one day seems dull the other, and something always considered boring could suddenly shine. And it changes back the next day after. Or not. The real sly ones change only the day after.

Spot patterns, colours associations, line-up and progression… Everything contributes to what makes a great set. Or not. And a tiny change could make it or break it. And I am not even talking about inlays. Inlays are the worst.

But I have began to notice that some of the chips I find splendid «as a chip», only looking at the face, makes pretty terrible or uninteresting stacks… And vice-versa, spot patterns or colours I would not specially put very high in my list could make spectacular barrels. As a very broad generalisation example, I would tend to favour thin spots, but I do find that the big bold colour splashes created by large spots make «better» stacks. I quite like flashy and/or contrasting colours on the face, but tend to favour tone-on-tone barrels… I am sure tomorrow I’ll say the reverse, but you get the idea… (In fact I know the answer is quarter and half-pies. And 1D14.)

And it is obviously not only the spots, but also/mostly the colours! I saw pictures of racks that amazed me, only to realise, looking at the face, that I could never imagine putting these colours together…

Considering that stacks plays a huge role in the way chips are viewed at the table, I begin to think I should favour a nice rack and not a pretty face? But then… Aaargh, this hobby is as interesting as frustrating!

I intended to post this in the Custom section, but it is a pretty generic discussion after all. So, in your opinion, what makes a great chip that also makes a great stack? Examples, anecdotes, pictures, essays welcome.

I know I tend to overthink this, but it is part of the fun, and a good pretext for a discussion and reading more seasoned chippers opinions.

Have a nice day wherever you are in the world.

I know I tend to overthink this, but it is part of the madness
FTFY

But you actually bring up some really good points about face versus stack. Initially, one would think that prioritizing stacks in terms of their visual appeal would be the better way to go. After all, you only really see the faces of the chips on the top.

But at least in my game, the amount of chips that players have in front of them is not all that much. Most of the players prefer sloppy stacks (ROFL, I have such a dirty mind) and most of the time the chips in the middle are just the splash pot with all the faces showing.

So when you think about it like that, faces seem to be a bit more important (at least in my game).

And you're absolutely right that a single seemingly minuscule decision can make or break entire chip and/or set. I do think that people, in general, overlook colors when they're designing their sets. Certain color combinations just are never thought of and are therefore never used. Take the Santa Ysabel $5 chip. A predominantly brown chip with an amazing spot pattern in red and blue. What a weird ass combination that produces possibly one of the greatest RHC $5s out there.

If you're designing your own CPC set you're going to drive yourself bonkers with second guesses and what-ifs. All part of the fun.

Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

@BearMetal Yeah madness is the right term, I feel more and more inclined/forced towards creating a Cthuhlu/King in Yellow set… :wtf:

Thanks for the Santa Ysabel hint. I have just googled it… It is exactly one perfect example of what I am talking about: a week ago, I would not even have looked at them (mostly because of the inlays but hey…to each their own), and now I am contemplating these pictures and the salmon non-denom, the 1 and the 25 make amazing barrels. Dirty blue with Sand and Mud with a pretty basic spot pattern. Who would have thought…? (Not me apparently, but I am learning, I'll get there…) It is also what I had in mind when opening my other thread about weird/unusual colours associations, the more chips/sets I see, the more I find the ones with weird colours combos really attractive…. So double thanks, I guess.

(Still do not understand what the 100 is doing here in this line-up, but it is another discussion certainly)

@JeepologyOffroad Yes, of course, but how would I know what makes a great chip that makes a great stack that make a great set? I can not resign myself am looking forward to spend the next decade assimilating the fine nuances of this endless field and obsessing over tiny details, just to have a chance to maybe answer that question. I feel like I have stumbled onto the most perfect and most terrible hobby for me at the same time. I know you have the answer, If I get crazy, it is on you! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I always say designing a great chip is easy but to design a great set is really hard.

Face is personality of the chip and the usability comes from how it looks in stacks. I used to underestimate how less is more when it comes to stacks. You don’t need crazy spots to really make a rack pop.

I think next set I design will focus even more on how barrels look rather than how awesome the face is with a lot of spots.

Prioritizing rack is a mistake. Faces, although they weather with age, do stand the test of time. Racks age less well and start to lose their shape with heavy use. What once was perky and round will eventually become bike tires. You can recondition them, sure, but it will be clear they are no longer natural.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom