Face Masks (1 Viewer)

I figured this was your reasoning, and it's why I didn't say anything more than I did. You're probably right that more masks in the market is a good thing. Just rubs me the wrong way.

What rubs you the wrong way about it?

I bought 90 masks from China at $2/mask.
I am donating 80 of them to my wife’s geriatric facility where she is an occupational therapist.
They are essentially with out PPE.

I am not talking about masks as PPE in a health care environment. In the short term there are shortages of N95 which are being saved for people that work in health care.

I am talking about the new future where everyone wears some sort of face masks (not respirators). Just my take but I anticipate pretty much everyone needing some type of mask to go outdoors. Very large yet to be tapped market.

If you want to prey on people, just do another NAGB.
At least those prospective buyers are choosing to be prey.

Yeah I am working on it. I also don't view it as preying but supplying a premium product at a premium price.

I am not talking about masks as PPE in a health care environment. In the short term there are shortages of N95 which are being saved for people that work in health care.

I am talking about the new future where everyone wears some sort of face masks (not respirators). Just my take but I anticipate pretty much everyone needing some type of mask to go outdoors. Very large yet to be tapped market.

Yeah I am working on it. I also don't view it as preying but supplying a premium product at a premium price.
I would think accessories or customized face masks would be big. Bejeweled or maybe customer edgespots. Can a cover be placed on a mask without effecting performance?

I have been doing research into masks since I was interested in buying. The N95 and KN95 are both respirators that have high degrees of filtration and will protect the wearer against the virus. It is important to recognize the KN95 as it is much more readily available while not recognized as much by the medical community out of what seems to be just bureaucracy. You can look up lab tests and the performance is similar/identical and 3M who makes both masks also says they provide very similar performance.

Bottom Line: try and get KN95 since they are just as good and in less demand as people don't know about them.

In terms of using masks to protect other people it seems pretty much anything will work to prevent the spread of saliva into the air. The common surgeon masks that don't seal around the mouth still work fine but serve a different purpose than protecting the wearer. These loose fitting masks actually do almost nothing to protect the wearer as they don't seal around the face.

I see where you are coming from Grant and I think in the future people will be looking to stock up on N95/KN95 masks once supply becomes available. However, these KN95 and N95 are significantly more expensive than the cheaper single use 3 ply masks.
First, let me say as a medical professional that requires the use of n95 masks on occasion, that anybody just going out and buying one...

is an imbecile.

The n95 filters out 95% of what you breathe... if it is the only airway.

Air movement takes the path of least resistance. If you have not been fit tested it is likely that you are inhaling/exhaling around your mask. It is exactly as effective as placing your hand over your mouth, but at a greater cost. Have a beard? It is useless. Moustache also lowers the likelihood that it will do its job.

My fire department has been without n95 masks, because dumb-shits are buying them up, and are being no more protected that the guy with a maxi-pad strapped to his face. If you are wearing a n95 mask in public, you may as wall buy a sign that says "A medical professional cant wear this mask because I wasted it." If grandma dies from Covid-19, and you see some ass-hat wearing a n95 and a beard... he fucking killed her. No ifs ands or buts, he fucking killed your grandma. Treat him as you would a guy that walked into her house and beat her to death with a baseball bat.

n95 wearers without fit testing are fucking criminals.

I can't stop laughing at the idea of the whole world wearing masks every day and the fact that led you to want to invest in them. Hope to God we have a vaccine before this crazy new face mask world kicks in.

I can see a lot of people, particularly more macho types, using those turtle neck scarf things that all of the Antifa and Proud Boys wear at their little rallies.

Ahhhh, the good old days when all we had to worry about in our little corner of the country was the homeless/addiction/mental illness problem and the proud boys v antifa marches in Portland and Seattle...... :rolleyes: ;)

A local manufacturer just re-tooled his whole production line to produce both N95 and surgical masks, and should be in full production in the next week. I think he said his production capacity is about 100,000 of each per week. That should take care of all the Western Canadian market, plus enough to export for a while to Ontario and Quebec and maybe even our neighbours south of the border.

N95 masks or P100s are used to prevent airborne diseases...traditionally health care providers think of TB. COVID-19 is usually spread by respiratory droplets. It is aerosolized by specific procedures such as nebulizers, bipap/cpap, high-flow nasal cannula, and intubation - N95s are needed in these cases. No one in the general public is doing those procedures....a standard respiratory mask is sufficient.

While I won't call a non-medical person wearing an N95 an imbecile such as @Poker Zombie suggests - I will say that they are likely misinformed. Additionally he definitely knows his stuff - a beard would make an N95 absolutely useless. And furthermore as he suggested, health professionals get re-assessed basically yearly with fit testing (which is essentially testing for whether or not you can smell/taste a substance while wearing the mask).

I feel for EMS providers...they are really not being able to do what they do best which is treat patients immediately in the pre-hospital setting. I have had multiple patients brought in that basically weren't able to get the usual treatment en route such as life saving neb procedures and non-invasive ventilation in order to prevent the spread of COVID.

Wear a respiratory mask or other face covering in public; washing hands is paramount. Donate your N95s for people who actually need it.

15nine_970-custom3.jpg

eff - is it football season yet?

Last edited:
The question becomes, how long will the mask thing hold post "stay at home"? We're a culture that is very much into cosmetic dental work, lipstick, cosmetic orthodontics, ans facial make-up. You actually believe that a 16 year-old girl is going to start wearing a niqaab because 3 months ago it was safer? The Florida beaches were packed because nobody mandated that they cancel their vacations. Unless there is a government order, I don't see the masks lasting much longer than the stay-at-home orders are in effect.

Lulz at starting a business venture in a field you know nothing about with advice from an unrelated online forum and the consumer research backed up by random posts on Facebook and Twitter.

go for it

A mask for anyone that needs to go to the market, etc.... I don’t think that you need to shop in China??!

a neighbor made these (below) and has been passing them out to friends. If you’re like me and aren’t that great at sewing, take a new/clean t-shirt and cut the sleeves. All you need!

E443CE27-089A-4131-AE7E-3FC4AF90EED2.jpeg

Last week the local police seized 1mio. chirurgical masks stocked in a closed Chinese restaurant. The stock was so huge that is was clearly visible by the windows. They give them to the hospital near by.

In Switzerland people is encouraged to give protective gear to hospitals, pharmacies only sold masks to people that have a medical conditions certified by a doctor.

Police is also tracking down black /grey market on craigslist websites selling mask at gold price.

Hand made washable mask as additional barrier is coming very common (we are at our 5th week of lock down and social distancing is being followed)

N95 masks (common) = 95% efficiency
N97 masks = 97% efficiency
N99 masks = 99% efficiency
N100 masks = 99.97% efficiency
P95 masks = 95% efficiency + oil proof
P99 mask = 99% efficiency + oil proof
P100 masks (common) = 99.97% efficiency + oil proof

First, if you wish to be protected from airborne particles you need to wear these masks properly and most people do not know how to wear them properly. What basically makes these masks compliant apart from the materials they are made of is the metal band around the nose area (you should press down and mold it around your nose) and the masks have 2 elastic bands rather than one (there is a proper way of placing them around the head).

Secondly, like was previously said, people working in professions requiring the use of these types of masks should get fit-tested to make sure that the masks form an air tight seal. A fit test can not be performed on an individual with a beard or scruffy facial hair and it should be done on an annual basis (if you lose or gain weight, the shape of your face may change).

So why not go N100 rather than N95? You won't be as hot in an N95 as opposed to an N100 and the N95 should be chosen if the particles you wish to protect yourself from are big enough to render this type of mask 99.97% effective. For instance, if you are cutting wood and wish to protect yourself from sawdust, an N95 mask is as good as an N100 mask.

Regarding the KN95 mask vs the N95 mask- it is basically the same. The KN95 follows the Chinese regulations while the N95 follows North American regulations. The only reason we are seeing these KN95 masks in North American is due to these extreme circumstances. It's like if Canada was to allow non CSA-approved products to be sold and distributed within the country. Therefore, I believe that the KN95 masks are only a temporary thing.

Final thoughts, seeing how most people don't know how to wear the N95 masks properly, I think that it is best to save them for first responders and health care professionals.

Just my 2 cents, thanks for reading.

Not that many of their customers do. Or will.

I am seeing way more people without masks than with them when I have to go out somewhere, even in a state where people are generally on board with distancing.

The big letdown in all of this is the lack of testing, which was also the case a month ago when people first started staying home.

I see a lot of people now wearing masks. Out department has ordered that all police and firefighters wear a face covering in public in the few times we go out (grocery store, gas station, etc.).

However, I believe this is a short-term thing. Maybe a month or two. Humid summer months will bring a swift end to the face mask for most people. NY subways and similar public transit systems perceived as "gross" may see continued use, but you typical office building... unlikely.

Starting Monday anyone who goes anywhere in PA (Walmart, etc) has to wear a mask

I didn't end up buying any masks in bulk but the people who did will undoubtedly make a killing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom