Tourney Excel Poker League Spreadsheet (1 Viewer)

Fellow Excel dork here. Some heroes don’t wear capes. You inspire me.

Are you trying to develop and sell? If you’re willing to share with the community or need a tester, I’d be happy to lend a hand.

If it helps, I have a minimal amount of experience with VBA. I’m like you, as a purchasing analyst I wanted to automate some of my repetitive excel work, so I started with the macro recorder, then picked up a VBA book and started googling lines of code to make things dynamic. But what you’ve got here puts my stuff to shame. Well done.

So the biggest bug is that the timer will run slow if you are actively adding names, clicking and changing things in your setup while it's running. If you get it set and leave it to run on the live game screen, there are no issues. Adding a rebuy or entering a finishing position doesn't seem to affect it. It might be a few seconds slow after 15-20 minutes if you have to enter someone's rebuy or finishing place. The VBA is coded using Application.OnTime adding a second every process of the sub. So basically if you are having the spreadsheet calculate a lot of the other features while it's running, it will not stay locked to the second hand and could skip a tick during other calculations. I can't think of a way to code it differently to keep it perfect but a few seconds per 15-20 minutes may never be noticed.

I'm cool with sharing this with those of you that said you'd like to test it. Not sure where I am in turning a profit on something like this. I'd want it to be bug free. Still have to add in the saved stuctures. Personalized POY of Year point systems might be nice too.

I would be happy to look at this. Purely a guess at this point, but I would investigate creating a separate function specifically for the timer.

I'm cool with sharing this with those of you that said you'd like to test it. Not sure where I am in turning a profit on something like this. I'd want it to be bug free. Still have to add in the saved stuctures. Personalized POY of Year point systems might be nice too.
I had started something similar a while ago, and when I saw your post, I decided to move forward with it. (Thanks for the inspiration!) I’ve got mine complete, but it’s built for my league....not to be customized. I’ve included POY calculations. You probably don’t need it, but if you’d like to see it, let me know and I’ll get it to you.

For what it’s worth, I’ve noticed the same thing as you- timer runs pretty accurately when you’re not messing with it, but when you mess with it, it lags. I started a 20min timer and let it run while I worked on programming some other things. At the end of 20min the timer was at 15!!

Last edited:
So the biggest bug is that the timer will run slow if you are actively adding names, clicking and changing things in your setup while it's running. If you get it set and leave it to run on the live game screen, there are no issues. Adding a rebuy or entering a finishing position doesn't seem to affect it. It might be a few seconds slow after 15-20 minutes if you have to enter someone's rebuy or finishing place. The VBA is coded using Application.OnTime adding a second every process of the sub. So basically if you are having the spreadsheet calculate a lot of the other features while it's running, it will not stay locked to the second hand and could skip a tick during other calculations. I can't think of a way to code it differently to keep it perfect but a few seconds per 15-20 minutes may never be noticed.
I messed with my spreadsheet over the weekend. I think I found a relatively simple way to get around the timer running slow when actively working on the worksheet. If your VBA code is like mine, you did something like the following for the timer ----- B3 = B3 - TimeValue("00:00:01"), so when the spreadsheet is doing multiple things, it can slow down that calculation.

Here's my workaround:
1. Dimension a variable as Date:
Dim Beginning As Date
2. Create a new Sub to define the value of "Beginning" as Now and then run the timer sub
Sub GetStartTime()
Beginning = Now()
Run "timer"
End Sub
3. Instead of the formula above you can now use:
B3 = B3 - (Now() - Beginning)

Obvioulsy I'm oversimplifying things, but hopefully you can see how, when the timer basically pauses when you're working with the sheet, it will pick up the correct time when you're done because it's always calculating the difference between when you started the timer and now.

I'm guessing you get it, but if not, I'm happy to send you my spreadsheet.

troy1troy1,
Your work around seems great. I will try to implement it, but as I said, I was teaching myself the VBA coding language from scratch with this project so if you don't mind sending me your sheet so I can see your syntax, it would speed up my process.

We've started our tournament season so I've been using the spreadsheet, looking for bugs and tweaking as I go. With this fix I should have it totally complete and ready to share soon.

I would definitely like to test this out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom