Tourney Excel Poker League Spreadsheet (1 Viewer)

big32dave

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking at subscriptions for a poker league manager and thought, "Why pay when I can get my nerd skills out, learn some visual basic online and make my own using excel?" I wasn't sure how it would turn out but it's quite comprehensive. I turn off the grid, labels, formula bar and menus in excel during play to open the screen up for maximum screen real estate. You enter players on the player tab, select them from drop down boxes when setting up each tournament. During the tournament you enter each player's bustout place and the active list sorts automatically. Blinds can be built on the blinds page and results are uploaded with the click of a button to the tournament results page. Payouts are automatically calculated along with POY points and a self-sorting leaderboard. Might have to sell this thing for some profits!

Whadaya think?

1-Live Game Screen.jpg

2-Player List.jpg

3-Entering Tournament Players.jpg

4-Blinds Screen.jpg

5-During Live Game.jpg

6-Tournament Results Screen.jpg

7-POY Leaderboard.jpg

As a fellow excel nerd, I must say that this is awesome man. Definitely don't know VBA well enough to pull something like this off.

Well done!

My nerd skills are pulling out my credit card and paying for the tournament director :tup:

Well done!!

Wow that looks great. Would this be able to be used with Google Sheets? Then you'd be able to view it from any computer or even phone by opening the sheet. I had no idea you could have a running clock in Excel.

I thought about that but the Google apps script didn't seem to be as fully functional to allow for all the things I wanted it to do. It may very well be possible but there didn't seem to be as many resources available online to "cheat" my way through learning that programming language. I am going to explore the office online features to see if they allow for all the macros.

Also, I realized I didn't incorporate antes. We don't use them in our regular tournaments but I don't want to leave that out.

I'd be interested in being a guinea pig. We currently use the Tournament Director software.

Does your sheet have sounds for the blinds going up?

It uses system beeps right now which is ok but not great. Any sound can be incorporated into the spreadsheet but what doesn't seem possible is sharing the spreadsheet with someone else and having that file embedded. The coding makes you enter the location on your own computer so it points to something like "c:\windows\location.". Not sure yet how to make that more friendly for sharing.

I think I'll add the antes and make space by using just one column for the blinds schedule on the live screen. I will make the blinds scroll through a single column and you'll only see the next eight levels rather than all 18. This will also easily allow for unlimited levels if you wanted to do a long tourney or just needed more than 18.

I think the issue would be when it gets unzipped, the exact file location has to match what is programmed into the spreadsheet/vba.

I had no idea you could have a running clock in Excel.
I tried to put something like this together in Exel around 10 years ago, and couldn't figure out the clock aspect.

Very nice work. I'd be interested as a beta tester, and possibly purchaser (pending cost and final features).

Probably need to incorporate antes, both individually and with table ante options. Bring-in and Completion options for stud and mixed format games would also be valuable features.

Also, a pet peeve of mine is assigning a level number to breaks, which throws off the actual number of blind levels used.

Other useful features for our puposes:
  • Ability to have more than one blind schedule saved for selection
  • Tracking collected bounties, re-buys, and add-ons, and calculating payouts based on those items

Ok, added all the things you guys listed except for bounty tracking. Will work on that soon, hopefully. Added a scrolling blinds schedule to the live screen, antes, BB antes, stud formats with bring-in/completion and bet limits for limit games. Breaks are no longer counted as a blind level. You can choose ante format on the blinds page and game type on the live screen in case you need to rotate in a game of HORSE. I will try to think of a way to choose HORSE as a game type and have it auto rotate the games, that might not be very feasible given the number of hands per game can fluctuate. It was already tracking re-buys and add-ons in the prizepool and winnings at the same cost as the initial buy-in so no partial add-ons. Updated screens below:

Blinds Screen 1.png

Live Game Screen 1.png

Live Game Screen 2.png

Live Game Screen 3.png

One thing that seems impossible is changing the size (font size) of the dropdown boxes for selecting options...

Also, forgot about saving and loading blind schedules. That shouldn't be too hard. I'll make another page for doing that.

It was already tracking re-buys and add-ons in the prizepool and winnings at the same cost as the initial buy-in so no partial add-ons.
Any chance of changing that? Maybe options for separate buy-in, re-buy, and add-on costs (and the associated stack sizes for each)?

Everything else looks absolutely fantastic. :tup:

This is very impressive. Makes me want to try it myself.

One thing we had issue with once was with all the code the sheet is performing, our clock ran long. Our 20 mins levels were more like 21.5 mins. That added up after 22+ levels.

As a long time user of Tournament Director, I am very interested in this. Great job! I think there are a lot of us that would be interested in this project, and I for one, would be very excited to be a beta tester, and even a future customer of this.

Following with great interest.

Super work has been done thus far. If made available for token monies I would donate in a heartbeat. If made available as a subscription I'd find my own way. If it costs real money, I'd think long and hard (i.e. procrastinate and never buy).

This looks super cool! I use excel to data mine large sets of information so I’m good with formulas, pivots, powerquery, etc. but I’m shit with macros and VBA.

I’d be interested in testing if needed!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom