Everything KEM (2 Viewers)

I couldn’t pass up a $5 set up of Kems at the flea market. Both packs are bowed but I think I can flatten the blue deck. Red deck idk if I can save.
IMG_1124.jpeg
IMG_1125.jpeg
IMG_1126.jpeg

Any suggestions for KEM alternatives? I just got a gold and black set and I'm pretty disappointed. Warped and bowed. The black set is worse than the gold. It sucks because they feel very nice. Even the box seems king of shit honestly. I'll probably still use them but very sad.

Anything comparable at all?

Any suggestions for KEM alternatives? I just got a gold and black set and I'm pretty disappointed. Warped and bowed. The black set is worse than the gold. It sucks because they feel very nice. Even the box seems king of shit honestly. I'll probably still use them but very sad.

Angel Poker (acetate). IMHO they are the finest cards made. Similar to KEM in handling but without all of KEM's problems.
If you order several setups the shipping cost won't sting as much:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B06XRBRWZR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

These cards are PVC but they're closer to KEM handling than most PVC cards. At $10/setup they're a bargain:
https://www.amazon.com/LotFancy-Wat...-11-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

I would say Angel or Fournier. But I'm not as great a fanatic of cards than I am with chips.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been shuffling them some more and I do really like them lol. A little disappointed but I may even try another pack. The Angel ones look really nice but they are coming from Japan as far as I can see which seems a bit much for me for cards.

I've also been looking at the faded spades even though they seem controversial. I like the designs, I can't lie.

I think I will try at least another pack of KEM Gold and Blacks though. Play the lottery I guess.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been shuffling them some more and I do really like them lol. A little disappointed but I may even try another pack. The Angel ones look really nice but they are coming from Japan as far as I can see which seems a bit much for me for cards.

I've also been looking at the faded spades even though they seem controversial. I like the designs, I can't lie.

I think I will try at least another pack of KEM Gold and Blacks though. Play the lottery I guess.
I think you might get a majority of people to agree that Kem are the best feeling cards. Well maybe not a majority, but at least a plurality. But feel aside, they have problems. One is their price and two is their tendency to bow. All I can say is from my experience, you can prevent the bowing by storing them face up with a cut card and dealer button on top. If you think that sounds dumb, I don’t blame you. But I believe it works. That doesn’t change the fact that their retail price of $50 per setup is stupid. There’s no reason to pay that price when you can get 3 Copag setups for the same price.
But all that said - the best feeling (gathering, shuffling, pitching) cards are Kem. Period.

I think you might get a majority of people to agree that Kem are the best feeling cards. Well maybe not a majority, but at least a plurality. But feel aside, they have problems. One is their price and two is their tendency to bow. All I can say is from my experience, you can prevent the bowing by storing them face up with a cut card and dealer button on top. If you think that sounds dumb, I don’t blame you. But I believe it works. That doesn’t change the fact that their retail price of $50 per setup is stupid. There’s no reason to pay that price when you can get 3 Copag setups for the same price.
But all that said - the best feeling (gathering, shuffling, pitching) cards are Kem. Period.
Mmm they feel very, very easy to shuffle. First game with the new cards and chips tomorrow though, so we’ll see what the lads have to say.

Funny enough I have seen the face up / cut card / dealer chip suggestion before reading various posts on here.

Depending what you are looking for...flexibility , durability, size of index?
in my experience the same stock (acetate)does not guarantee same performance.
For instance fact that KEMs will not lose ink comes from unique production technology (microscopic bubbles apillied on the stock).
My Cartamundi Tobago were printed on acetate but were losing ink very fast, however handling and feel was spectacular.

If you do not mind standard index try Fournier made for WSOP in 2012, you can get them on eBay in great condition (I would say mint but they out of cello), for cheap.
For jumbo index Fourniers try Nº 2826 BRIDGE - FOURNIER (https://www.naipeszaca.com/es/todos...dge-fournier-2-x-55-cartas-8420707351861.html), they wonderful but I do not like font and suits design they use (2012 WSOP Fourniers have Bicycle graphics). Also not that in my opinion there is big difference in my opinion between bridge and poker size Fourniers. Same material and printing tech but that few mm of difference make poker size Fourniers more slippery and Copag like in handeling, but that does not effect durability.

I can not say anything about Angels as I never had any.

Dal Negro are nice and quite durable but they come with different finishes so you need to get samples.

I alway endorse Trefl as very durable but they much stiffer than KEM and they only come in poker size.

Modiano Platinium are very stylish and durable, if you can get them in USA. Accidentaly they made of acetate as KEM but very different in feel.

Overall its hard to find cards with the same feel and durability as KEM and lacking bowing problems at the same time.
Maybe Angels but I am guessing.
Bridge size fourniers are spectacular.
Dal Negro Grand Slam are bridge size and have same feel as fresh KEM but I would not dare to call them equally durable.

Ordering from Amazon Japan is easy and they arrive quickly. The shipped price is around $45 which is still cheaper than KEM. But if you add a couple more setups the average shipped price drops to around $35/setup which was close to KEM's previous price.

I would NOT recommend Fournier as a KEM replacement. They are opposites. Fourniers tend to be on the stiffer side with a very crip shuffle. (unlike KEM's buttery smooth somewhat limp shuffle.) Fournier are great cards but very different from KEM. The exception is the older Fournier "Imported for Congress" cards that are very much like KEM.

Someone mentioned the WSOP cards. If you want to stick with KEM buy these for 1/2 price (I bet he sells out quickly given KEM's new price):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153143241391?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160811114145&meid=fe0ee78c3eee4af08d647cf85badd7b9&pid=100667&rk=4&rkt=8&sd=224943682178&itm=153143241391&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042&amdata=cksum:153143241391fe0ee78c3eee4af08d647cf85badd7b9|enc:AQAGAAAA8O6au1Fdy1nMWJiVkfxwnREQQeiIEM%2FHEcPi1%2BsGRUWduueLwG3cFY73GUvqznVErFmgFbZi7qeMZlUsDtUkOzGb%2FN0tm0DRS40ix%2BEKe4Qhjm3XussN75OX%2BrHTg%2B1LOGan89X%2BWYS04XkaZjOVT0057stUBCP1jNAqKzhNOXsAfJTHZOjjTE%2BaWeW8BA6cPErKejmpUdUbXBvfoVTJ68w5goHS9g0rOQBD1XldCJ8JuORLF%2F8l1%2FP9Tvt%2BA5xyJK1blAOaFOojykVHjVDoJkgiwJRQzFApXG1wcTQo8gIot2VAzz%2FPZJfN75FNJmpSZQ%3D%3D|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&customid=link&campid=5337384603&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

He also sells the 2012 WSOP cards which are Fournier if you want to try them out.

Last edited:
Depending what you are looking for...flexibility , durability, size of index?
in my experience the same stock (acetate)does not guarantee same performance.
For instance fact that KEMs will not lose ink comes from unique production technology (microscopic bubbles apillied on the stock).
My Cartamundi Tobago were printed on acetate but were losing ink very fast, however handling and feel was spectacular.

If you do not mind standard index try Fournier made for WSOP in 2012, you can get them on eBay in great condition (I would say mint but they out of cello), for cheap.
For jumbo index Fourniers try Nº 2826 BRIDGE - FOURNIER (https://www.naipeszaca.com/es/todos...dge-fournier-2-x-55-cartas-8420707351861.html), they wonderful but I do not like font and suits design they use (2012 WSOP Fourniers have Bicycle graphics). Also not that in my opinion there is big difference in my opinion between bridge and poker size Fourniers. Same material and printing tech but that few mm of difference make poker size Fourniers more slippery and Copag like in handeling, but that does not effect durability.

I can not say anything about Angels as I never had any.

Dal Negro are nice and quite durable but they come with different finishes so you need to get samples.

I alway endorse Trefl as very durable but they much stiffer than KEM and they only come in poker size.

Modiano Platinium are very stylish and durable, if you can get them in USA. Accidentaly they made of acetate as KEM but very different in feel.

Overall its hard to find cards with the same feel and durability as KEM and lacking bowing problems at the same time.
Maybe Angels but I am guessing.
Bridge size fourniers are spectacular.
Dal Negro Grand Slam are bridge size and have same feel as fresh KEM but I would not dare to call them equally durable.
Appreciate the nice little write up here. I will add the fourniers to my list as well of considerations.

Do people sell used / opened packs of Kems that are in good condition lol? I’m thinking that might be something worth trying if they do.

Ordering from Amazon Japan is easy and they arrive quickly. The shipped price is around $45 which is still cheaper than KEM. But if you add a couple more setups the average shipped price drops to around $35/setup which was close to KEM's previous price.

I would NOT recommend Fournier as a KEM replacement. They are opposites. Fournier tend to be still with a very crip shuffle. (unlike KEM's buttery smooth somewhat limp shuffle.) Fournier are great cards but very different from KEM. The exception is the older Fournier "Imported for Congress" cards that are very much like KEM.

Someone mentioned the WSOP cards. If you want to stick with KEM buy these for 1/2 price (I bet he sells out quickly given KEM's new price):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153143241391?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160811114145&meid=fe0ee78c3eee4af08d647cf85badd7b9&pid=100667&rk=4&rkt=8&sd=224943682178&itm=153143241391&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042&amdata=cksum:153143241391fe0ee78c3eee4af08d647cf85badd7b9|enc:AQAGAAAA8O6au1Fdy1nMWJiVkfxwnREQQeiIEM%2FHEcPi1%2BsGRUWduueLwG3cFY73GUvqznVErFmgFbZi7qeMZlUsDtUkOzGb%2FN0tm0DRS40ix%2BEKe4Qhjm3XussN75OX%2BrHTg%2B1LOGan89X%2BWYS04XkaZjOVT0057stUBCP1jNAqKzhNOXsAfJTHZOjjTE%2BaWeW8BA6cPErKejmpUdUbXBvfoVTJ68w5goHS9g0rOQBD1XldCJ8JuORLF%2F8l1%2FP9Tvt%2BA5xyJK1blAOaFOojykVHjVDoJkgiwJRQzFApXG1wcTQo8gIot2VAzz%2FPZJfN75FNJmpSZQ%3D%3D|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&customid=link&campid=5337384603&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

He also sells the 2012 WSOP cards which are Fournier if you want to try them out.
I’ve done some more reading on the angel cards and they do seem nice. I also think it’s hilarious what this company is selling. We make cards, chips and fun little poker stuff. Oh yea. And advanced AI fraud detection systems lmao.

I’ve done some more reading on the angel cards and they do seem nice. I also think it’s hilarious what this company is selling. We make cards, chips and fun little poker stuff. Oh yea. And advanced AI fraud detection systems lmao.

Well, they own Paulson and all of the other brands under the GPI umbrella now.

Good luck. My experience is that you can flatten them but they'll revert right back to their previous warped state pretty quickly. (once warped, always warped)
Thats a bummer. I have a favorite set of KEMs that I guess I'll just dispose of.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom