Everything KEM (2 Viewers)

The worst part of KEMs, and it’s bad, is their propensity to bow. One of the other card aficionados on here figured out how to deal with it, and that was to put a dealer button on each deck before closing the lid. I tried that, and it really does seem to work.

In my opinion, that’s not even worth two pennies, is that there’s just nothing that can compete with the feel of KEMs.
Spinettis has a thick cut card, called a bottom card that works perfect for this. I put it on top of my decks when I store them.

1675132952299.jpeg

https://spinettisgaming.com/products/bottom-card-for-poker

Certainly the most unfortunate. I like the feel but many have complained about the size of the jumbo index... we need a smaller index!
With Kem? I don't think that's going to happen

It didn't say, I guess they have been used a couple of times. Took me a full year to find these again so I'm happy anyway.
Not quite sure but someone bought few decks identicaly packed from same location like a year ago and they turned out to be warped badly. Do not remember details...

Well I am currently in the middle of small experiment.
I have two slightly bowed sets of KEM (one bridge old but unused, one poker set heavly used), Its almost 6 months since I put them under pille of books (roughly 4-5 kg).
I try them this weekend....wonder if it helps a bit

There wouldn't happen to be a cache of those Palace Station cards somewhere at a reasonable price, would there? I would not mind six setups of those for my blackjack table...

Ok I must confess, I impulse bought these CC Kems before I saw the review by @Thomacetti. I saw the eBay post, checked the extra cash on my PP, and it was all over. I'm too much of a sucker.

20230412_163227.jpg

They arrived suprisingly quickly given my location. There is a little bit of warpage even out of the box (the decks already have different heights lol). However, fortunately they look playable. I will give them a try next game - my dealer will definitely thank me (he loves KEMs purely because they're easy to shuffle haha). For $26 shipped, not perfect but I'm not unhappy.

I have checked on the results of my little experiment.

Two sets of bowed KEM
- set of bridge club back out of cellophane but never played (slight bow)
- set of poker size Arrow's, heavly used for over 2 years, 8 hours for 3 days a week (very bowed)

5 kg of hard cover literature (Churchill and Patton memoires, Stephen Fry autobiography, Playboy publicised novels) on top

Unfortunatly I have not made photos from before to show and compare but:

the results are satisfying in my opinion

bridge size set - I do see slight improvement, I have turned them over to continue experiment
poker size set - they improved a lot, stright flat, would not hesitate to put them in play, so

Overall thougts..."This is the Way"

Well, they’re almost certainly a genuine factory wrap. They appear unplayed and the plastic could certainly be 40 years old.
View attachment 908447
And this ancient, parchment-like instruction sheet is very cool.
View attachment 908448
Unfortunately, it looks like the blue deck has a bit of a bow. I do intend to play these, but for now, they’ll stay wrapped, and I’ll try and see if the the upside-down under a dealer button storage method can flatten them any - couldn’t hurt.
View attachment 908449
No reason to think these are worth more than a retail deck, right?
Not really (unless from collector perspective (serial, dates, errors, ...) but very cool cards nonetheless.
Wouldn't hurt to store them the good way but doubt that bow is going to be corrected.
Looky here, it’s been almost a year.
I haven’t touched these cards since I posted this. Pulled them out today for a peek and the blue deck kinda looks nearly perfect.

NOW:
5551FDFD-7C2D-440F-83EC-F66D2C10F3F1.jpeg
775E0D68-1616-4E96-BD8F-57E1588D169E.png

Before:
2577CEE3-28CD-4A59-BF98-2C8672C65FA0.png

this is the way....
In this instance. I turned the cards face up, put a cut card on top, put a 60mm ceramic button on top of that, replaced the lid, then squeezed the case I could get the original cardboard retail wrapper back on the case. So I suspect it’s not just the weight of the button, but also a little bit of compression. I will say that a year later, that cardboard is still tight but probably not quite as tight. So I think either the cardboard stretched a bit, or maybe the cards inside were compressed a bit over the year.
FD6065E5-F763-476F-BA23-E16BEF79A00E.jpeg

I recently came across a set of KEM Unicorns.
The blue deck is still factory sealed, the red deck factory seal has been broken but it clearly has never been played with or handled. Looks like they were made in November 1982.
They also came with the KEM guarantee paperwork, both English and French versions. I was speaking with @surfik about this and he said he’d never even seen the French guarantee before and that it may be quite rare/valuable.
If anyone has more information about rarity or value feel free to chime in and help educate me!
I can add more pictures if there’s anything else you’d like to see.
Thanks
Memphis

Attachments

• IMG_5403.jpeg
    IMG_5403.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5421.jpeg
    IMG_5421.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5420.jpeg
    IMG_5420.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5418.jpeg
    IMG_5418.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5401.jpeg
    IMG_5401.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5397.jpeg
    IMG_5397.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5389.jpeg
    IMG_5389.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5393.jpeg
    IMG_5393.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5395.jpeg
    IMG_5395.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 37
While the French version may be rare, I doubt it adds much value. There aren’t a whole lot of vintage KEM collectors to begin with (I’m one but almost exclusively pre-WWII). If you had a set of the original Unicorn back design, that would be something. As is, sealed, maybe $50 or so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom