Dunes Clay Poker Chip Pre-Sale (3 Viewers)

I had to take some photos tonight.

I did end up oiling them, and they look great.

I'll need a few more of a few denominations, but I'm pretty much where I want to be. Great set!

Photo Dec 06, 9 50 55 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 06, 9 51 31 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 06, 9 52 14 PM.jpg

I'm planning on relabeling the 5ks as nickels for small games. I'm not sure when that will come together yet though...

Racked up 2,000 fresh chips. I could see the benefit of a little oil on these to make the colors pop a bit more, but that was more effort than I was willing to put forth after kids went to bed.

They feel and sound great and I like the look of the labels.

Now need to put them to good use!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 314
How do these compare with PGI CC chips in terms of feel and sound?

@Apache
Josh, whatever you told the factory to do this time, REMEMBER IT!

This batch of China clays is absolutely the best, THE BEST, I have ever had the chance to own.

Absolutely blown away!!!

Any chance of an official 5 cent label ??

More info for you all. The one rack I had available is a Trademark Poker tray with a lid. In fact, it's this model right here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013RGVBQ

Anyway, I stuck the 1000s in there to see how they fit, and the verdict is they're totally flush with the bottom of the tray, so there's no sketchy double pressure point or anything like that, but there's a little bit of wiggle there laterally. It's not quite half a chip, so there's movement, but you definitely are far from 21 per row.

Still any news on racks? @Fleming, what kind of racks are you dealing with there?

These CCs look very uniform in terms of height and weight. Nicely done. Looks like the manufacturer tightened up their QC.

These CCs look very uniform in terms of height and weight. Nicely done. Looks like the manufacturer tightened up their QC.
First runs of cc chips are always the best and most uniform. Subsequent runs with used molds typically have a variety of issues.

First runs of cc chips are always the best and most uniform. Subsequent runs with used molds typically have a variety of issues.

Very interesting. Good to know.

So my tracking code said that they were at the local facility, but they were not scheduled fo delivery. Hm....ok, well I can drive by there and pick it up since they have it!

Nope! The wonderful (sarcasm) Fed Ex lady said that even though I had the tracking code, and the address, and my ID, she couldn't hand it over because it was "scheduled for delivery" on the 8th.

"But I can save you the trip" I say..."you don't have to bother with coming out my way" (I live in a rural area)

"I said I won't get it for you. I have other things I can be doing right now."

And that was that. Ah well...anticipation makes the reward all the sweeter.

So my tracking code said that they were at the local facility, but they were not scheduled fo delivery. Hm....ok, well I can drive by there and pick it up since they have it!

Nope! The wonderful (sarcasm) Fed Ex lady said that even though I had the tracking code, and the address, and my ID, she couldn't hand it over because it was "scheduled for delivery" on the 8th.

"But I can save you the trip" I say..."you don't have to bother with coming out my way" (I live in a rural area)

This is one of the things that drives me up the wall about FedEx - they frequently go out of their way to not deliver a package before the scheduled date, even though it would be effortless, if not easire, to deliver it early. I've seen delivery trucks sit idle for days between Albuquerque and Tucson multiple times, and when I ask the delivery person for the rationale they simply state that the truck was ahead of schedule. That makes zero sense to me, but what the heck do I know about logistics.

I took advantage of being on the second batch of shipping and ordered some extra chips! Hope they come as a single package.

Got my limit set .25c, $1's & $20's (sorry no pron yet, lose my chipper card). The QC on these is fantastic. Stacks are uniform height, colors are uniform, weight feels near the same as the Paulson Dunes. Stacks are almost perfect match for Paulson Dunes.

Part of the reason I got these, besides using them as a limit set, was to make my cash set playable by using the .25c & $1's with my Paulson Dunes $5's & oversize $20's, $100's (since $1's are impossible to find in quantity). Think I'm gonna be happy.

FedEx has, on numerous occasions, provided exceedingly subpar service. I've had packages left outdoors in 100 degree heat that clearly contained perishables (BlueApron orders). I've had doortags that were, at best, silly mistakes and, at worst, bald-faced lies (I was home every time they "attempted" delivery of a package and claimed I didn't respond). I've had them treat me like utter trash at the pick-up facility as though I were causing them some kind of pain by merely existing.

The squeaky wheel, however, gets the grease! Since I've lodged many, many complaints with corporate and via Twitter, they've now resorted to contacting me proactively to make sure my packages arrive and my residential pickup requests are fulfilled on time. I imagine there are some interesting adjectives associated with my customer profile in their database.

As soon as I get mine tomorrow, this is my plan.

There's been about 62 posts since Josh posted the first hasty pr0n last week.

There are only 14 pictures posted. This is unsatisfactory.

Someone - or someones - please fix this. Fix it fast, and fix it hard.

Has anyone received a broken chip? I'd be interested in seeing how the inserts/spots were made...

These chips look very very good. itching for a set.

Has anyone received a broken chip? I'd be interested in seeing how the inserts/spots were made...

These chips look very very good. itching for a set.

Mine showed up with a massive dent in the side( Thanks Fedex! ). Thankfully, I only suffered three fatalities.

*Poor camera phone photo warning.*

20161208_071959.jpg

Attachments

• 20161208_072022.jpg
    20161208_072022.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 382
  • 20161208_072043.jpg
    20161208_072043.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 362
  • 20161208_072933.jpg
    20161208_072933.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 358
Got mine in today. Gorgeous chips!

You do realize that these constant "got mine" posts are not much news without pictures and just a disheartening continual reminder to those of us whose orders are still "in processing".
Especially when there is already a secondary market going on for these in the classifieds, and all I get to look at is "got mine", "got mine", "got mine".
If your going to post don't be lazy, shoot at least one picture with that phone in your hand.

Perfect.. just ordered sample set, mostly just curious in how distinguishable the quarter and 5er are in person before I purchase a set.

Total non-issue, in my opinion.

Maybe we should move the discussion of the arrival and pr0n of the eponymous chips to its own thread somewhere outside the marketplace forum? I think we've been able to contact @Apache for processing and order-related stuff, but we're probably crossing the streams a bit too much at this point.

OK - got mine earlier today and I took some hurried pictures after I had run them through a quick oiling. These are still rather fresh and so please be kind...also, I didn't have time to set up my good camera and go to town on them, mostly because I had taken down my light rigging the other day and I didn't want to set it up at midnight when I finally had a chance to do this.

I should be able to do it better justice then. I have some opinions on the chips which I will give after the pics.

20161209_021500.jpg

20161209_022420.jpg
20161209_024442.jpg

Again, I apologize for the crummy photos - I will try and do them better justice when I get my set up running next week.

So - the chips are simply great. They feel nice, solid, and are the best china clays I have handled. I own a tourney set of Majestics and a cash set of Milanos and I will be selling or trading those off in the near future as I don't see myself using them again as long as I own this. The earlier mention of the set having little to no bevel is quite true. While it is not as sharp as a top of the line chip, it comes closer than any other china clay I have seen.

Some other random thoughts...

I went through my plethora of chip tricks and was able to do all of them. Shuffling was tricky at first as I had to learn the friction level these had but after a couple of tries I was riffling stacks of 10 like no one's business.

The sound is a dull muted clink, pretty much the same as my Majestics - very satisfying.

The "Dunes" imprint is very sharp and looks nice.

If I had to pick a favorite chip it would be the $20, followed closely by the $100. Also, the $1 is growing on me - the blue is a very nice bold, deep color.

Now then - a couple of issues I found...

A handful of quarters and $5k chips had some sticker/inlay problems - like a bubble underneat the sticker, so you could push down on it and you could make the plastic-y inlay "click" when you pushed on it. Ultimately not a big deal and I might have found about 5 chips with the issue. I suppose I could probably remove the inlay and reglue it down, but I don't see a real need to do it.

Secondly, I discovered this while I was oiling the chips - the $25 chip has some edge spot issues...take a look at this picture...

20161209_023433.jpg

Now I am very much a noob when it comes to chip knowledge - so I don't know if this happened when they were being made or just from the shipping handling process as they made their way to me. I got 200 of the $25, and I counted about 20 of the chips with this problem. Now then - this isn't a big deal...and I think it just gives the chips some character, and maybe it just happened to me, but this would be roughly 10% of the $25 denomination chips that I ordered...and it was only this denomination that had this problem.

Like I said not a big deal, but I wanted to let the forum know about it.

All in all - very satisfied with the set. I am going to be using them tonight when the guys come over to celebrate my birthday.

Big thanks to Apache Poker for doing this!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom