Does this only bother me? (2 Viewers)

A couple guys at my home game insist on betting with multiple denoms even when a single denom will suffice. Drives me bat-sh*t!

Example: bet is $10 and the idiot has 2-3 barrels of $5 chips and 2-3 barrels of $1 chips, but he insists on calling using a single $5 and five $1s. WHY???

Does this only bother me, or does this irritate everyone?

Nope.

I'll even sometimes do this sort of thing if I see the pot needs change and I got all these singles...

I mean the rules in live play are that bets and raises are made in multiples of the smallest chip used in blinds and antes.

In Robert's rules for home games, Section 3, under subsection on "Betting and Raising"
7. The smallest chip that may be wagered in a game is the smallest chip used in the antes and/or blinds. Smaller chips than this do not play even in quantity, so a player wanting action on such chips must change them up between deals. If betting is in dollar units or greater, a fraction of a dollar does not play. A player going all-in must put all chips that play into the pot.

To tie that to the original post, it is absolutely legal to bet in numbers that aren't whole dollars, so long as they are divisible by quarters. If you want to play in whole dollars, the blinds should be 1-1, or 1-2, or so forth. Really I don't have a lot of sympathy for those that are tilted by odd numbers, it makes you easy to manipulate, I suggest you play better.

I'll admit that players who do that online, raising absurd amounts like 3.47 or 11.19, drive me a bit crazy. :wtf:

That said, I do agree with this comment. These amounts are just random slider moves that are to the penny. Additionally, online sites often rake to the penny (Which is to their benefit, live rake is usually 1 dollar for every 10. Whereas online, they are so much better off taking one penny for every 20 cents, even), so you get pots calculated to the penny, which means you get all in amounts to the penny. Personally, I would prefer it if online sites were programmed to stick to the increments of the game as in live play for betting and rake, but that's not to their advantage.

Personally, I would prefer it if online sites were programmed to stick to the increments of the game as in live play

This. I have only recently noticed that on pokerstars you can switch and display the bets and stacks in bb multiples, that helps. But yes, you should not be able to bet 7.23 in a .25/.50 game.

Doesn't bother me at all.

I know that for some people it can be a tell, but I have never been savvy enough to decipher it for any of the guys I regularly play with. The idea is that if someone sub consciously values a particular denomination or chip over other denominations then they will only put out the chips they value more when they have a good hand.

I just get annoyed when it slows the game down. People with lower denom chips trying to get rid of them, so call a $23 bet with 18 1s and a 5 type of thing. Takes too long and isn't necessary.

A couple guys at my home game insist on betting with multiple denoms even when a single denom will suffice. Drives me bat-sh*t!

Example: bet is $10 and the idiot has 2-3 barrels of $5 chips and 2-3 barrels of $1 chips, but he insists on calling using a single $5 and five $1s. WHY???

Does this only bother me, or does this irritate everyone?
Doesn't bother me, but I'd pay attention, might be a tell there. Does he change it up? Does he do it when he is weak or strong?

One thing I like to do is bet the amount the player has in his hand. Players almost always have a few chips in their hand, bet that amount and it almost always gets called. But some of my regulars know that I do that, so I bet that amount as a bluff and they'll fold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom