Does this only bother me? (1 Viewer)

You’d hate playing with my brother. Every bet before or after the flop is with some odd amount like $5.75, $13.50 etc. and he’ll throw in as may fracs and $1 as possible. But he’s always trying to tilt as many people as possible.
I think he plays at my game on Thursdays. Is his name Ben?

This doesn't bother me. Sounds like he wants the luxury of stacking a bunch of chips if he wins the pot.

i personally feel that its alright, but i seriously hate it when the dealer is trying to run numbers before the river is dealt and cards are shown

The one .25/.50 game I play in is a well run game, with fun people and lots of action, but the host puts 200 quarters on the table, which inevitably ends with someone calling a $3 bet with 12 quarters.
This is why when I had a one table .25/.50 game, I only had one rack of quarters. Much harder to get massive bulk on the table when there's only one rack of quarters and the 1s and 5s are intended to be the workhorses.

A couple guys at my home game insist on betting with multiple denoms even when a single denom will suffice. Drives me bat-sh*t!

Example: bet is $10 and the idiot has 2-3 barrels of $5 chips and 2-3 barrels of $1 chips, but he insists on calling using a single $5 and five $1s. WHY???

Does this only bother me, or does this irritate everyone?
I read this thread and as someone who runs a game, it becomes a problem when said player(s) do this routinely and then take time making change because they're out of "small" chips. It's a PITA when they could just bet "normally". If they have a surplus of chips it's no big deal but that is not the case with the 1 or 2 players I'm talking about.

Seems like my constant mantra back when we first started playing (many years ago) was "please use your big chips" (along with "please don't splash the pot" and "please wait until it's your turn to act"). Eventually it all sunk in, and I'd later hear the long-timers preaching it to the newer players (when needed).

I had a player who always betted with 0.25 extra 4.25, 7.25 ect. He said it's for good luck.

Funny, one day we both had around 170.00 in front of us and both hit the nut straight with AK on the flop but I had a flush draw. All Money went in and the river brought me the flush. After counting all chips he was left with one 0.25 chip.

Well, I had to tell him: ah... the good luck chip :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

A couple guys at my home game insist on betting with multiple denoms even when a single denom will suffice. Drives me bat-sh*t!

Example: bet is $10 and the idiot has 2-3 barrels of $5 chips and 2-3 barrels of $1 chips, but he insists on calling using a single $5 and five $1s. WHY???

Does this only bother me, or does this irritate everyone?
Doesn't bother me a lot. And in fact, the oversize chip rule means there is a practical reason for doing this in some cases.

If someone wants to raise a bet from $2 to $5 and just puts out one $5 chip, that will be a call. (Unless he made a verbal declaration first, of course) A player must put out five singles (or some combination of singles and fracs depending on what's in play) to ensure this action will be interpreted as a raise.

Now it's annoying if a player doesn't HAVE to do that, and then all of sudden finds he needs to ask for change all the time, I suppose.

But this is way down the list on things players do that would bother me.

I recall there is a tell element to this. Betting with small denom chips could signal weakness. Player dependent blah blah blah, ghost of Mike Caro, etc.
Heard that. Very reliable at least at my tiny stakes; players literally betting with a barrel of nickels instead of a $1 chip when theyre not confident the pot is coming their way. Their mind puts more value on the $1s, feels the nickels are more disposable.

I recall there is a tell element to this. Betting with small denom chips could signal weakness. Player dependent blah blah blah, ghost of Mike Caro, etc.
The tell is if you are winning a lot of pots with small denomination chips, it means you are either extremely lucky, or bluffing more than your share.

There also is a tell that if a player separates his stack by profit and bets enough to keep a little profit behind, it's likely a bluff, or almost never certain strength and he may fold to raise rather than risk going in the red.

Mike Caro is still alive FWIW :).

The tell is if you are winning a lot of pots with small denomination chips, it means you are either extremely lucky, or bluffing more than your share.

There also is a tell that if a player separates his stack by profit and bets enough to keep a little profit behind, it's likely a bluff, or almost never certain strength and he may fold to raise rather than risk going in the red.

Mike Caro is still alive FWIW :).
God, I had an annoying new player in my game that was less new than the other mooks and she was guiding first time players to separating their profit to the side. Very frustrating; wouldn't mind her doing it but telling people to put their original $5 aside led to the nittiest game AT NICKEL AND DIME STAKES. Insane.

But exactly right, insecurity manifested in bet sizing lol. One of my favorites.

I've done that as a fake tell when I've had the goods - bet or call with a bunch of small chips, as if I don't expect to win, but don't mind losing all the small chips. It's pretty wienie, but thats what home games are for.

Doesn’t bother me. I agree that they are his chips to bet however he wants. I haven’t had anyone bet a goofy amount like $18.75, but that would drive me nuts.

Could be a tell...I know a guy that won't bet a $1000 chip unless he thinks his hand is good. If he bets two $500s or ten $100s he is usually on the come.

Doesn’t bother me. I agree that they are his chips to bet however he wants. I haven’t had anyone bet a goofy amount like $18.75, but that would drive me nuts.

A couple of games ago, I raised $.25/$.50 blinds to $2.75 with AK stating no one has raised that amount tonight. It made one guy get pissed off and called. I won.

A couple of games ago, I raised $.25/$.50 blinds to $2.75 with AK stating no one has raised that amount tonight. It made one guy get pissed off and called. I won.
Interesting strategy. You could shake it up by putting $0.05 chips in play at a .25/.50 game. Lol

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom