Does it bother anyone else that..? (3 Viewers)

Owning 1/6 of Earth’s land, though - that is an inconceivable imbalance in our society.
I remember my first beer too. Just glad there wasn’t an interwebz at the time to embarrass me. Go to bed. Rest easy knowing that no one owns 1/6 of the earth’s land. Trust me on this—I’m in charge of the Illuminati’s bake sale next week.

I remember my first beer too. Just glad there wasn’t an interwebz at the time to embarrass me. Go to bed. Rest easy knowing that no one owns 1/6 of the earth’s land. Trust me on this—I’m in charge of the Illuminati’s bake sale next week.
That’s a bit aggressive, but I suppose you’re saying that you ‘would be bothered, should any one person hold the rights to that much land,’ but you reject the notion that they own the land at all?

That’s a bit aggressive, but I suppose you’re saying that you ‘would be bothered, should any one person hold the rights to that much land,’ but you reject the notion that they own the land at all?
I have not opined one way or another on your hypothetical, since it is just that. As noted earlier in the thread, your assertion is based on, at best, a serious misreading of an anachronistic concept, which has no functional basis in reality or actual current law. The Queen isn’t going to show up one day and take @mtl mile end or @Perthmike ‘s house away. If you believe that is actually a possibility...have you met Glen Beck? He’s got a few chalkboards of nonsense you’ll lap up.

I have not opined one way or another on your hypothetical, since it is just that. As noted earlier in the thread, your assertion is based on, at best, a serious misreading of an anachronistic concept, which has no functional basis in reality or actual current law. The Queen isn’t going to show up one day and take @mtl mile end or @Perthmike ‘s house away. If you believe that is actually a possibility...have you met Glen Beck? He’s got a few chalkboards of nonsense you’ll lap up.
No, that isn’t the issue.
The issue concerns taxation and commodities, two major drivers of a governmental structure.
In one case, a government is paid property tax as a means of earning representation by the governing body.
In the other case, a living person is a signatory, essentially allowing that person to directly collect interest or rent as personal profit, rather than buying-into a representative system of government.
-
Housing was the first area that the discussion was taken.
The same conversation could have gone into agricultural, metals, fresh water, whatever we want to talk about.
I’m surprised by all of the abrasive feedback because it shows that people are bothered by these parts of our culture. But interestingly it’s taken the form of backhanded statements towards me. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

No, that isn’t the issue.
The issue concerns taxation and commodities, two major drivers of a governmental structure.
In one case, a government is paid property tax as a means of earning representation by the governing body.
In the other case, a living person is a signatory, essentially allowing that person to directly collect interest or rent as personal profit, rather than buying-into a representative system of government.
-
Housing was the first area that the discussion was taken.
The same conversation could have gone into agricultural, metals, fresh water, whatever we want to talk about.
I’m surprised by all of the abrasive feedback because it shows that people are bothered by these parts of our culture. But interestingly it’s taken the form of backhanded statements towards me. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I don’t know what any of this word salad means or what the point is, but my original suggestion still stands: go to bed.

I call bullshit and agree with @gopherblue The Crown Estate does not own one-sixth of the Earth's surface. They don't own one-sixth of the Earth's surface that is above the water either.

Perhaps we can quibble over what it means to "own" something. If we totaled all the surface of the Earth where British explorers once laid any claim and said all of that, oceans, farms, cites and such belong to the Royal Family some how - - - well that would be quite an aggressive claim and one which has no legal merit.

Is the claim that the royals own all of Australia, Canada, the USA, much of Africa, the Atlantic Ocean etc? And by "own" it is meant that the crown technically owns the real estate but exerts no claim on the income or capital assets?

And if we are going there, I would have to think the original peoples also have equally valid claims to essentially all of the new world. And in a similar way, the USA owns most of Europe due to its efforts in WWI & WWII

For that matter, I have a claim on Austin Texas due to marching down sixth street carrying flags. Isn't that how it works? You plant a flag and you gain an ownership claim?

somehow I don't see the merchants on sixth street sending me rent checks any time soon -=- DrStrange

Oooooh is Beyonce and Jay-Z bringing the brownies or the chocolate chip cookies?? I remember a brownie from that last bake sale that was heaven.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't decide if this all belongs in the politics forum or the WTF thread.

But if @Josh Kifer, @FordPickup92, and @BarrieJ3 are looking to derail something today, this would be a good candidate.
I was actually super intrigued. I have little knowledge to what OP was talking about, and was excited to see what people had to say. Sadly it appears to be a lot to do about nothing.

@charitycase can you explain it to me like a 5 year old? Is this just some type of hypothetical or thought exercise? If a govt or family has some historical claim to land, when you go buy a house on said land, all your and the banks money goes to the previous homeowner/realtors/legal folks/companies/govt/etc right? Is there a literal line of financial gain to the family?

And wtf @BGinGA, I have yet to be chastised by you for derailing! Throwing me in with the lot of @Josh Kifer and @FordPickup92, humph.

And in a similar way, the USA owns most of Europe due to its efforts in WWI & WWII
I’m not having that. Firstly the US involvement in WW1 was minimal. As for WW2 there was no involvement from the US for over two years. From September 1939 to December 1941 the US chose to turn a blind eye. Britain was the first country to declare war on Hitler after the invasion of Poland. By 1941 Britain was out on its feet, having won the Battle of Britain but had been bombed relentlessly. Churchill begged FDR to help but he refused.
If Japan hadn’t attacked Pearl harbour the US would have sat back and not gotten involved. The US military was a great help (when it eventually turned up) but the real saviour of Europe in WW2 was the Red Army. Nobody wants to admit that because they’re commies and it doesn’t fit the narrative. You just have to look at the number of casualties suffered by each nation involved and it’s obvious that the soviets bore the brunt on the Eastern Front. To say one country won the war is nonsense. There were resistance movements in France and Belgium, soldiers from Canada, India, Australia & New Zealand and many others.
Anyway rant over but I’m not having this “the USA won the war” shite, because it didn’t despite what Hollywood tells you...

Last edited:
I’m not having that. Firstly the US involvement in WW1 was minimal. As for WW2 there was no involvement from the US for over two years. From September 1939 to December 1941 the US chose to turn a blind eye. Britain was on its knees and had begged the US to help but they refused. If Japan hadn’t attacked Pearl harbour the US would have sat back and not gotten involved. The real saviour of Europe in WW2 was the Red Army but nobody wants to admit that because they’re commies and it doesn’t fit the narrative. You just have to look at the number of casualties suffered by each nation involved and it’s obvious that the soviets bore the brunt on the Eastern Front.
Go the Brits.

I’m not having that. Firstly the US involvement in WW1 was minimal. As for WW2 there was no involvement from the US for over two years. From September 1939 to December 1941 the US chose to turn a blind eye. Britain was on its knees and had begged the US to help but they refused. If Japan hadn’t attacked Pearl harbour the US would have sat back and not gotten involved. The real saviour of Europe in WW2 was the Red Army but nobody wants to admit that because they’re commies and it doesn’t fit the narrative. You just have to look at the number of casualties suffered by each nation involved and it’s obvious that the soviets bore the brunt on the Eastern Front.
shotsfired.gif

Shots Fired! USA! USA! USA!

Crown Estate owns 1/6 of the Earth's surface?
That’s nonsense mate. At it’s height the British empire ruled over 1/4 of the lands on earth but they either lost or gave up almost all of it by the time of WW2. A lot of the government bodies here have HM in front of their names but the queen is just a figurehead. Some people over here love the royals while others can’t be bothered with them. A percentage of what we pay in taxes etc. goes towards paying the royal family a pension but they don’t “own” a great deal of the land. A lot of land is owned by the landed gentry such as the Scottish highlands but those are individuals as opposed to the royal family.

I’m not having that. Firstly the US involvement in WW1 was minimal. As for WW2 there was no involvement from the US for over two years. From September 1939 to December 1941 the US chose to turn a blind eye. Britain was the first country to declare war on Hitler after the invasion of Poland. By 1941 Britain was out on its feet, having won the Battle of Britain but had been bombed relentlessly. Churchill begged FDR to help but he refused.
If Japan hadn’t attacked Pearl harbour the US would have sat back and not gotten involved. The US military was a great help (when it eventually turned up) but the real saviour of Europe in WW2 was the Red Army. Nobody wants to admit that because they’re commies and it doesn’t fit the narrative. You just have to look at the number of casualties suffered by each nation involved and it’s obvious that the soviets bore the brunt on the Eastern Front. To say one country won the war is nonsense. There were resistance movements in France and Belgium, soldiers from Canada, India, Australia & New Zealand and many others.
Anyway rant over but I’m not having this “the USA won the war” shite, because it didn’t despite what Hollywood tells you...

FDR’s Lend-Lease act saved Great Britain.

Also, British PM’s “Peace in our time”, helped start the global conflict.

Also, Russia didn’t join the war against Japan until the last month of the war.

Also, Russia started off WWII as an Axis power aligned with Germany.

Also, Hitler’s decision to declare war and fight a 2 front conflict sealed her demise.

Also, the Allied landings in Normandy were the first invasion of Germany-held Europe.

Do they have books where you’re from? You’re like the Kellyanne Conway of history.

FDR’s Lend-Lease act saved Great Britain.

Also, British PM’s “Peace in our time”, helped start the global conflict.

Also, Russia didn’t join the war against Japan until the last month of the war.

Also, Russia started off WWII as an Axis power aligned with Germany.

Also, Hitler’s decision to declare war and fight a 2 front conflict sealed her demise.

Also, the Allied landings in Normandy were the first invasion of Germany-held Europe.

Do they have books where you’re from? You’re like the Kellyanne Conway of history.
Yeah and I’ve actually read them. You should give it a go. I blame the schools :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

We’re well aware of Neville Chamberlain’s failings. That’s why one of the reasons why he was replaced. Britain has a chequered history but as far as WW2 goes it acted honourably. It could have sat back saying that we had “peace in our time” but instead it declared war on Germany.

The post was about Europe not Japan.

If the USSR (not Russia) hadn’t fought for the allies Germany would have won.

Agree like Napoleon before him fighting on two fronts cost Hitler the war.

Britain had previously landed in Europe in 1940 or are you not aware of Dunkirk?

I’ve never heard of Kellyanne Conway so cannot comment.

Britain played a role along with many other countries but if you want to believe the populist nonsense that America saved the world that’s your choice...

17D4AB06-A27A-4C5E-A060-CCA7CC65E945.jpeg

Last edited:
The royal Windsor family Crown Estate owns 1/6 of the Earth's surface?
6.6 billion acres

or that

Only $1.87 trillion (USD) actually physically exists, as a structure of our international society?
The latest stimulus package weighed-in at $2 trillion (USD)

I have no business in the dealings of the Crown Estate. Yeah, sure, they could give 1/8 of the land to the homeless but it's not THAT big of a deal.

As for the physical property of money, I gotta tell you, with things like Paypal, Venmo, Bitcoin, Ethereum, etc. The future of money is digital and there's no need to print so much money.

Of all the things in the world to freak out over, these are really non-issues. :)

Yeah and I’ve actually read them. You should give it a go. I blame the schools :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

We’re well aware of Neville Chamberlain’s failings. That’s why he was replaced.

The post was about Europe not Japan.

Agree like Napoleon before him fighting on two fronts cost Hitler the war.

Britain had previously landed in Europe in 1940 or are you not aware of Dunkirk?

Britain played a role along with many other countries but if you want to believe that America saved the world that’s your choice...

The Allies lose WWII without US intervention. Germany makes peace with Russia and cedes most of China to Japan, keeps most of Europe with a negotiated yet uneasy peace with Great Britain. Actually the peace with Britain happens first, then they focus on the Eastern front and eventually fight Russia to a draw.

I’m familiar with Dunkirk. It was a military disaster narrowly averted only by the determination of your private seafaring community. If anything, the failure of the British Expeditionary Force emboldened Germany and sealed the fate of France until American intervention starting with the Normandy landings.

Also, I’m sure if the US stayed out altogether and Russia conquered Germany (not a sure thing at all) Europe would’ve been just marvelous.

The Allies lose WWII without US intervention. Germany makes peace with Russia and cedes most of China to Japan, keeps most of Europe with a negotiated yet uneasy peace with Great Britain. Actually the peace with Britain happens first, then they focus on the Eastern front and eventually fight Russia to a draw.

I’m familiar with Dunkirk. It was a military disaster narrowly averted only by the determination of your private seafaring community. If anything, the failure of the British Expeditionary Force emboldened Germany and sealed the fate of France until American intervention starting with the Normandy landings.

Also, I’m sure if the US stayed out altogether and Russia conquered Germany (not a sure thing at all) Europe would’ve been just marvelous.
The allies would have lost without the soviets. The US left it late to join and most of Europe had already been lost.

So you concede that Normandy wasn’t the first attempt to invade occupied Europe?

I’m not saying that the US wasn’t welcome but it’s naive to say that their intervention alone was the defining factor in the eventual outcome. The war was won on the Eastern Front. We in the West are blinkered when it comes to who did what in WW2.

The number of military casualties tells its own story:

USSR 10 million
Germany 5.5 million
China 3 million
Japan 2.1 million
Yugoslavia 0.5 million
USA 0.4 million
UK 0.4 million
Romania 0.3 million
Hungry 0.3 million
Italy 0.3 million
Austria 0.25 million
Poland 0.25 million
France 0.2 million
Finland 0.1 million
India 0.1 million

Last edited:
That USA won the war propaganda still hits a raw nerve :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

You're correct in your characterization of the role the US played throughout most of WWI & WWII, and the red army definitely was the major player on the ground against the Nazi regime. Maybe the US didn't "win" the war (one could argue no one ever actually "wins" a war) but they sure as shit ended it with the atomic bomb. That's not really disputed. But maybe you're only talking about it from the perspective of stopping Hitler and the Nazi regime? Hitler committed suicide on April 30th, 1945 and Germany surrendered 8 days later. But that wasn't the end of WWII. The war still continued for months in the east, and in the Pacific until the US dropped the atomic bombs on Japan in August. That's unquestionably what ended the war. Do you dispute that?

Last edited:
You're correct in your characterization of the role the US played throughout most of WWI & WWII, and the red army definitely was the major player on the ground against the Nazi regime. Maybe the US didn't "win" the war (one could argue no one ever actually "wins" a war) but they sure as shit ended it with the atomic bomb. That's not really disputed. But maybe you're only talking about it from the perspective of stopping Hitler and the Nazi regime? Hitler committed suicide on April 30th, 1945 and Germany surrendered 8 days later. But that wasn't the end of WWII. The war still continued for months in the east, and in the Pacific until the US dropped the atomic bombs on Japan in August.
My original reply was about the US owning Europe because it saved everyone from the Nazis.
I agree that the Hiroshima bomb ended the war. As for the bombing of Nagasaki that’s a different kettle of fish...

My original reply was about the US owning Europe because it saved everyone from the Nazis.
I agree that the Hiroshima bomb ended the war. As for the bombing of Nagasaki that’s a different kettle of fish...
I'm just excited about our European meetup. I'm landing pretty late on the 28th. Everyone gonna be in by the 29th?

It seems that you too 'would be bothered, should the Windsors own that much land' but you reject the notion that they own the property altogether. Thank you for your response.

--

That said, I will try to tackle some of these:

I call bullshit and agree with @gopherblue The Crown Estate does not own one-sixth of the Earth's surface.
Interesting, I will change the text from "surface" to "land," though it's difficult to say seeing as they do also own bodies of water. Perhaps "real estate" is more appropriate?

They don't own one-sixth of the Earth's surface that is above the water either.
I absolutely concede that this amount of real estate is nearly inconceivable. However, this is a fact nonetheless. There can be discussions about which fractions of their estate actually contributes revenue to the Crown Estate. For example, an uninhabitable wetland belonging to the crown estate would yield zero revenue, but remains property nonetheless.

Perhaps we can quibble over what it means to "own" something. If we totaled all the surface of the Earth where British explorers once laid any claim and said all of that, oceans, farms, cites and such belong to the Royal Family some how - - - well that would be quite an aggressive claim and one which has no legal merit.
I would point your attention to Native American history, here. Perhaps even the American Revolutionary War.

Is the claim that the royals own all of Australia, Canada, the USA, much of Africa, the Atlantic Ocean etc? And by "own" it is meant that the crown technically owns the real estate but exerts no claim on the income or capital assets?
I believe that this is the a claim, yes. However, oceanic ownership is a complex topic so I'm going to say 'I don't know' about international laws for the largest bodies of water.

And if we are going there, I would have to think the original peoples also have equally valid claims to essentially all of the new world. And in a similar way, the USA owns most of Europe due to its efforts in WWI & WWII
The Native Americans absolutely had claim to the land. This is why they went to war.
As for the latter discussion of World War, I don't think the United States claimed European territory. The treaties that followed were predicated on the idea of power-balance, rather than global domination.

For that matter, I have a claim on Austin Texas due to marching down sixth street carrying flags. Isn't that how it works? You plant a flag and you gain an ownership claim?
Well, no. You are a citizen within a democratic system of capitalist rule. You [we] forfeit absolute ownership of our land to that same system, for the protections offered by the governing body; very mob-esque.

somehow I don't see the merchants on sixth street sending me rent checks any time soon -=- DrStrange
Indeed, the checks go to the federal government not to you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom