Do you 'baby' your chips? (1 Viewer)

My chips are being babied right now. Singles drawer getting some artful chaos

View attachment 514337

Very nice this is how I envision my sets being used when i get them here. My 3 year old loves to play poker with the guys. I will try to keep his hands on the cheap walmart chips but I am sure he will find the nicer sets I buy too.

Not normally unless some jerk is trying to flip chips and do tricks with the Westworld Fracs, then I tell them to quit trying to break my shit.

I’ll take my Paulsons anywhere that I’m playing if they’re wanted/needed. I take care of them, but I don’t baby them, and once they’re on the felt, they’re just chips.
There are guys here who won’t let their players shuffle their chips. To each their own, but to me, they’re poker chips and that’s their intended purpose.

I have a set (Milanos) that I travel with to less than secure locations: conventions, bar room poker games, or to a friends house when I'm not attending or may leave early.

If going to a trusted friends house and I plan on staying to the end, I will bring any set requested. Most of the time they travel in a birdcage, which admittedly is less than perfect, but I feel the risk is relatively small. You take a bigger risk carrying an actual baby and walking to a neighbor's house.

I don't get that at all. The sound of shuffling chips is one of the things I missed most when we weren't playing
One specific guy I’m thinking of, has said that he provides his players with shuffle stacks of other, less valuable chips to shuffle during games.
And I get it - shuffling wears edges and causes color transfer (I was shocked at how much color transfe happened with those Lady Luck RHCs.) But if you can’t get over it, do you really want the stress and worry of damage to your chips distracting you while you’re playing?

One specific guy I’m thinking of, has said that he provides his players with shuffle stacks of other, less valuable chips to shuffle during games.
And I get it - shuffling wears edges and causes color transfer (I was shocked at how much color transfe happened with those Lady Luck RHCs.) But if you can’t get over it, do you really want the stress and worry of damage to your chips distracting you while you’re playing?
Not shuffling chips is like owning a '68 mustang that you dust with a baby diaper, but never drive for risk of stone chips.

I'm taking that baby out, and you will hear the tires squealing.

I don’t bring any of my sets to other people’s games, but that’s not because I’m trying to “baby” them.

Other hosts have their own preferences, and as another poster said, I don’t really want to wait around to colllect my chips if I’m not staying until the bitter end, or else have to arrange a pickup another day.

Also, if any went missing entirely (or were taken and later somehow migrated back into my owngame), I wouldn’t relish dealing with either scenario. The borrowers would be unlikely to be able to find replacements and I wouldn’t want to ask for compensation. And one of the values of having relatively rare or custom sets is that security—knowing that I’m the only one in my circle of players with these chips.

I do have a 1,200-chip older ASM solid set which were my first “real” chips and which have been in storage a while. If a host I liked wanted to borrow these for a tourney, I probably would lend them without such concerns.

But sadly many hosts in my area don’t care about quality chips, so really this is a non-issue for me. No one has ever asked.

I’ll take my Paulsons anywhere that I’m playing if they’re wanted/needed. I take care of them, but I don’t baby them, and once they’re on the felt, they’re just chips.
There are guys here who won’t let their players shuffle their chips. To each their own, but to me, they’re poker chips and that’s their intended purpose.

Who's trying to tell people not to shuffle chips?! :wow::wow::wow:

I try to take care of my chips. Clean them up, make them look good. Give them a proper display.

But damned if I'm not going to take the opportunity to get them into play. That's what they're made for. Someone wants nice chips for a game they're hosting? I'm the first one to volunteer.

I've got some that travel and some stay at home. But that has more to do with how they are stored than not wanting to take them. Some are in cases ready to travel, others are more prominently displayed so they stay at home. If another host requested a particular set, I would oblige. I bought them to play poker with, looking at them is an added bonus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom