• Yes

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters

SendThatStack

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
If yes, put in your post at what point you allow them. If no, why not?

I haven’t hosted tourneys in a while but years ago we used to do 30+ person tourneys several times a year and allowed chops...initially. Then, two times in a row (once involving me), we had a person in the final two claim they were late for some family function and had to leave early. They started playing like maniacs while begging for a chop. We also had a player of the year points ranking where a win was worth a lot. I was the first and granted the guy a chop because he was missing his sisters birthday dinner. Claimed he didn’t think he would make it that far. I probably would have won it but allowed the chop. It was BS and I immediately regretted it.

Next tourney we had a similar situation then banned chops. If you plan to play plan to win. It’s often one party asking while the other really doesn’t want to do it.

Other than in league, why would anyone care if the players want to chop? In our tourneys players almost always chop, at their descretion, to end the tourney so they can get in the cash game. With three our four players left its usually a shovefest with the luckiest player winning.

For league night I allow a chop on the money only. Not points. They can chop at the money bubble or do a save.

Other random tourneys, they can at any point
^^ This. All league events must be played to completion (for awarded points), but the $$ can be chopped however/whenever (I always offer ICM calculations; up to them how to use it).

Non-league tournaments have zero restrictions on chopping. We call it the Bergs Rule.

Up to the players in the money, or forced if its too late, usually have a 2am cut off

I typically like to play it out, but have on occasion offered or suggested a chop in the interest of getting into a cash game or going to sleep.

In my tourneys I don’t restrict a chop so long as it’s mutual and no one was badgered into it. It’s their money, who cares.

Players money. They can do what they want, when they want with it.

As for league play, I have chopped in bar leagues taking the money and giving the other player the points.
Cash is king.

Up to the players left for any regular game. But if someone doesn’t want to they keep playing.

Our group also allows chops for points leagues too, but if they do then they get points equal to the lowest points offered. So if the top 3 chop they would all get the points 3rd place would get. No second or first place points are awarded.

Our group also allows chops for points leagues too, but if they do then they get points equal to the lowest points offered. So if the top 3 chop they would all get the points 3rd place would get. No second or first place points are awarded.
That's a reasonable compromise that offers no possible advantage to the active players while protecting the integrity of the system.

What would happen if four players wanted to chop but only the top three positions were being awarded points? Nobody gets points?

Other than in league, why would anyone care if the players want to chop? In our tourneys players almost always chop, at their descretion, to end the tourney so they can get in the cash game. With three our four players left its usually a shovefest with the luckiest player winning.
This exactly....
We usually play cash games til 1 am and tourney ends around 11 so cash game players want to get to cash table ASAP. Probably 75% of our tourneys are chopped when it’s down to just 2 players (rarely do 3 players chop).

I’ll allow it but no one’s name is going on the plaque and I’ll remind you your are all scared money.

That's a reasonable compromise that offers no possible advantage to the active players while protecting the integrity of the system.

What would happen if four players wanted to chop but only the top three positions were being awarded points? Nobody gets points?

Yep, no points. It really reduces chops overall. Usually if there is, it is the final 2 doing some kind of money equity chop because it is so late then going all in blind until there is a winner.

The only game that has to be played to a true winner is the Player of the Year Tournament Championship. Money usually gets chopped up to even out the payouts from the preset amounts, but there is a set amount that has to go first place above the rest of the places no matter what so that there is an actual winner. All the players agree to it before the tournament.

I guess one reason would be to preserve the "prestige" of the tourney. Kinda anticlimatic if you get 3 handed and chop it up. Maybe a rule of only chops allowed after midnight would be a good idea.

We allow chops when it get down to three or less. People tend to want to play either cash or another tourney. Z

Yes, because who cares.

As others have mentioned, need a winner for league points.

Most guys want to win for bragging rights anyways.

I only host league tournaments - yes to mony chops, but must play it out for the points.

I voted yes because I've never (yet) been in a "negative" chop situation. The only times anyone has suggested chops so far at my tournaments are when I host multiple STTTs on the same night (the second T is for turbo). When players got heads up, and it wasn't the last turbo of the night, they would sometimes chop, mostly out of courtesy to the rest of the players who were eager to start a new tourney.

Nowadays we are usually 2-4 tables and only play one tournament per night, and so far there have been no chops.

If a tournament bans chops, the players can simply agree to exchange money to achieve the chop after the payouts are received

If the tournament requires that tournament to be played out for points or to comply with tournament rules, the players can agree on their cash chop and agree to go all-in on each hand until one of them has all the chips.

It's pretty hard to prevent these from happening...

If chops really grind your gears, but your players seem hellbent on them, consider flatting your payouts.

I was always against it in my league games, but I made a rule that stack size determined placement. If a chop is agreed on, biggest stack gets 1st place points, 2nd biggest... etc.

Then, this past game I got an offer I couldn’t pass up. With 3 left, and stacks of 145k, 130k, & 115k (me), they offered me 1st in points and a three way equal $$ chop. No way I could say no to that

I was always against it in my league games, but I made a rule that stack size determined placement. If a chop is agreed on, biggest stack gets 1st place points, 2nd biggest... etc.

Then, this past game I got an offer I couldn’t pass up. With 3 left, and stacks of 145k, 130k, & 115k (me), they offered me 1st in points and a three way equal $$ chop. No way I could say no to that
That's exactly why I don't allow points chops in league tournaments -- it is unfair to other players in the point standings to allow some players to artificially manipulate the awarded points to their advantage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom