Tourney Rebuy Tournament - Best Practice? (1 Viewer)

When should re-buys be available?

• Only up to the first break or color up

Votes: 20 100.0%
  • Anytime throughout the tournament

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BigSlickTux

Two Pair
Reaction score
I am not sure how to handle re-buys. I am going to do only one optional re-buy per person. I am unsure if I should allow this only until the first break or throughout the entire tourney. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

It doesn't necessarily have to end at first break, although that is the most convenient time. Either way there should be a stopping point. It's not all that interesting if a re-buy is worth 5-10bb and you're just hoping to double up twice in a row.

Well the second answer makes no sense because then theoretically the tournament will never end. (Edit, well this isn't true if rebuys are limited per player)

I think it's a better practice to coincide the end of the rebuy period with a break, but it's not set in stone. Use whatever juncture you like that ensures everyone has the opportunity to play enough to be worth the trip. That's my only rule

Last edited:
It seems like the standard for max late reg is becoming 20 big blinds. At least that’s what it looks like in the high profile, high roller type tournaments that I get to see online.
Personally I’d have a hard time justifying the cost of a 20bb rebuy, let alone any less than that, but everybody makes their own decisions.
But yeah, I’d definitely shut down rebuys by the time one is worth 15-20bbs (or at the money bubble of course.)

It’s pretty unanimous. I think I will end it at first break. Thank you all for the opinions.

I plan my tournaments to be 4-5 hours. I end rebuys after 2hr (half way point). BB is 30x starting stack when rebuy ends. I allow one rebuy/reload.

Last edited:
Imagine a game where players can continually rebuy? The big stack could literally sit having all in/all in hand after hand with players wishing to rebuy and attempt to win 4-5x in a row to take everything. This would be a total stale mate, you could rename it World War 1 where attrition wins over much else and the deepest wallet almost guarantees a top finishing spot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom